1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY AUX Input in 05+ Stock Head Unit that overrides FM

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by pscrev20, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Jul 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    pscrev20

pscrev20 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Shenandoah Valley of VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco Double Cab
    AUX jack in stock radio, overtakes FM.
    First I'd like to give credit where it is due to TW member fbconvert and his post Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit. His post and the reply's contained there got me thinking of how I could modify the input to go through the FM side of the Radio instead and here's the result:

UPDATE 8-8-2012: This Mod will not only override FM, but all Tuner functions (FM1, FM2, and AM).
    UPDATE 1-26-2013: The resistors listed below are actually Capacitors. If you mess one up, simply go to RadioShack and purchase some 2.2uf non-polarized capacitors to replace (part # 272-997). Make sure you replace both, not just one.

Introduction:
    This Mod allows you to install a 3.5mm jack (AUX input) in your stock Toyota head unit that will override the FM signal of the Radio (FM1/2) for a cost of about $4.00 or so depending on supplies you have or may need. Simply put, you can plug in your MP3 player and it will play through your stereo speakers, no need to put a CD in your CD player or anything like that. This port will overtake all FM. It does not matter if you are on FM1 or FM2.

There are two different methods to accomplish this, the easy one and the hard one. I did the hard one, but will tell you how to do the other as well.

What you will need:

1. 3.5mm stereo jack (one I used is pictured below and will be needed if you do the mod my way).
      [​IMG]
    2. Phillips head screw driver
    3. Soldering Iron and a light gauge solder. (Low wattage Soldering iron is preferred. I used a 25 watt)
    4. De-Soldering tool or De-solder wick. (For the way I did it)
    5. Wire. I recommend shielded wire. (2 conductor for the easy way, 4-conductor for the way I did it.) I used the wire off a bad USB keyboard; it was 4-conductor 24 gauge shielded wire (Red, Black, Green, and White + Shield/Ground).
    6. Heat shrink tube, various sizes.
    7. Hot Glue Gun if desired
    [​IMG]

Lets get started:

I'm going to start with the head unit out and the front face already removed. If you need help to get to this point, please read fbconvert's post I've linked above.

We will only need to remove the bottom cover of the radio for this mod. There are 4 screws holding this on, 2 on the front and 2 on the back.

Front

[​IMG]

Back

[​IMG]

Remove the bottom cover an locate your DSP chip (mine is a stock 6 disc changer, non-JBL, and has a chip labeled LC75010). Beside this will be a bank of about 4 small resistors, two for the right inputs and two for the left inputs. On my unit we are going to use the center two resistors (labeled c201 for the right and c301 for the left). The outer two are for the CD Player.

[​IMG]

This is where you can decide if you want to do the “easy method” or continue with what I did as the harder method. The easy method would be to solder your wires directly to the resistors on the side away from the chip. Then when you plug in your MP3 it will silence the radio and play your MP3 player instead. However, if there are long pauses of silence in your music, the Radio will bleed through
    . To prevent that from happening you can do it the way I did.

You will need to de-solder the two resistors. Use the de-solder braid (and a pair of tweezers or forceps if you have them) to help remove as much solder as you can to loosen them. Be careful not to put too much heat or pressure on them as the contacts on the board may try to break free (like one of mine did).

Next take a short piece of your wire and attach it to one side of each resistor (one for Right, and one for Left). I used the Red and Black on my wire. Then attach the remainder of your wire to the other side of the resister. Make sure you have good connections by giving them a slight tug or using a Voltage/OHM Meter to test signal through them.

[​IMG]

I also recommend that you either use electrical tape or shrink tube to protect your connections as I did.
    [​IMG]

This will be used for you Input to the DSP chip.

Now you will need to solder your wires to your board where you removed the resistors from as follows:
    Connect your wires with the resistors on them to the two points on the DSP side (making sure you remember what color you use for right and left and refer to the picture above for Right and Left connections). Next connect your other two wires to the other two solder points (these will be the output from your FM Tuner (again remember which color wire you use for right and left). Also solder the Ground/shield wire to a grounding point in the radio. I used a – spot for a capacitor that was not installed close by and it works great.
    [​IMG]

Next run your wire through the radio chassis, tying a knot before it exits to help prevent strain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now you will need to solder your 3.5mm jack according to the wiring diagram on the back of the package. (Wire colors I used in Parentheses)

1. Ground (No color/Shield Wire)
    2. Right wire to DSP input ( Red)
    3. Right wire from FM (Green)
    4. Left wire from FM (White)
    5. Left wire to DSP input (Black)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I recommend testing your radio by plugging it back into your harness before you finalize everything.

Once you have tested it and everything works, I recommend you put some hot glue on the solder points of the board to alleviate any stress on the fine connections as I did, but it is up to you.

[​IMG]

Last you will need to find a place to mount your port. I put mine on the bottom of the radio face, but it did take some work. I used shrink tube on the jack (after I folder the solder points down against it) and had to cut out part of the c channel of the radio bracket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also had to remove part of the on the vent cover to allow the radio to slide in easily. From the outside you cannot tell I did it.

[​IMG]

Finished Radio installed.
    [​IMG]

Conclusion:

This mod works great for me. I hope these steps will help anyone who wants to try it as well. There is some difficult soldering, but if you take your time it can be done.

Note:
    If anyone can find a better connection point, that would be great as well.
    Please post and let me know.

Thanks and enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    FcoLucio likes this.
  2. Jul 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    cbs5090

cbs5090 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    DIY Aux Input
    I will not be doing this, but thanks for following up. Do you have any ground loop feedback problems while charging and playing your mp3?

3. Jul 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    pscrev20

pscrev20 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Shenandoah Valley of VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco Double Cab
    Only when charging my Droid. I haven't tried my iPod yet. I'll let you know.

4. Jul 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    great write up i have a 10 with an aux already but dang i would do this if i didnt

5. Jul 3, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    pscrev20

pscrev20 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Shenandoah Valley of VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco Double Cab
    I tried it with my iPod, and the noise is less noticeable. I use Belkins FM transmitter with aux out on it to charge my iPod in the car. A ground loop isolator will fix most noise issues, I'm going to see if there may be another solution to it as well though.

6. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    Nice write up. I think it appears to be a little intimidating but no more so really than my approach. If I hadn't already replaced my head unit with one from a 2009 Tacoma I would do this mod in a heart beat. I might still do it to my old unit just for fun.

+1 for you sir.

7. Jul 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Does FM1 play your AUX and FM2 still play the radio (or vice-versa)?

8. Jul 3, 2012 at 11:40 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    With this if you don't have anything plugged in and on to the AUX you will play the radio. With this it will over-ride both the FM. I'm pretty sure there is no way to do just one. The two different FM1 and FM2 I think are just so you have more presets

9. Jul 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    pscrev20

pscrev20 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Shenandoah Valley of VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco Double Cab
    You are correct. FM1/2 are built in to the tuner and is primarily for presets. So it doesn't matter if your radio is on FM1 or FM2 in this case, the jack overrides all FM input to the DSP chip.

10. Jul 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    dgaudi

dgaudi New Member

Member:
    What are the resistance values for the resistors off the circuit? I am going to attempt this and might have a few extra resistors that would work in place of the ones I would remove from the circuit. Will there need to be any changes for installing a smaller aux input for a phone/headphone input?

11. Jul 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    pscrev20

pscrev20 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Shenandoah Valley of VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco Double Cab
    If I measured correctly on my ohm meter, it showed about 16 M ohm out of the circuit. In circuit it read about 6 M ohm. As far as any changes, I don't foresee any. Just make sure you are using a jack that will have the switching capability in it.

12. Jul 31, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    dgaudi

dgaudi New Member

Member:
    I am no expert on circuits or circuit components but doesn't a C typically mean capacitor and R mean resistor?

13. Aug 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    pscrev20

pscrev20 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Shenandoah Valley of VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco Double Cab
    Typically yes. Not sure on that one then. Didn't even realize it until now. I'll have to look into that some more.

14. Aug 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    Screech

Screech Taco Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    05 2wd White Taco Std Cab
    Whited out...
    does anyone know if there is a way to over ride am? so you could just leave it plugged in and switch to am on the reciever instead of unplugging and plugging in??

15. Aug 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I like this, who listens to AM anyways (I know people still do). I really like this.

16. Aug 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    Screech

Screech Taco Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Whited out...
    i figured it might (might) be just as easy and that would turn your AM button into a AUX button without having to mess with unplugging just to listen to FM

17. Aug 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    Screech

Screech Taco Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Whited out...
    Anyone have info on doing it with am?

WelderJon and ejreds like this.
  18. Aug 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    Isaiasgon

Isaiasgon Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD Sport V6 DCLB
    ^^ This ?

19. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I used the CD method and I am getting some bleed through from the cd player, I am going to tear this down and change the only thing I can think of which is to solder the ground wire to either the board or the cd chassis.

20. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Use a silent audio on your cd

Products Discussed in

To Top