Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

for the audio gurus out there!!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
for the audio gurus out there!!!!

i bought and installed the 500k microfarad capacitor with the digital readout, but it goes on and off. does any body know why or is this normal.

power from the battery is connected to the positive terminal of the capacitor and then it goes to the positive terminal of the amp. then the negative terminal of the capacitor is just grounded to the body of the truck. is thid right?

thanks.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
vette-kid is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Pilot
vette-kid's Tacoma Gallery
What size amps are you running that you think you need a cap? I would personally upgrade the big three and my alt. before putting money in a cap. Its kind of like a band aid for a wound that will never heal.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
SickTacoFoSho
piratesvarsity22 is on a distinguished road
piratesvarsity22's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piratesvarsity22
capacitors are dumb. if u need more power for ur system like he said higher output alternator. caps always fuck up
Old 01-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

good to know, it just came with the amp wiring kit so... I do not really need it but i just wanted to install it and was wondering why it kept turning on and off.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
vette-kid is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Pilot
vette-kid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesvarsity22 View Post
capacitors are dumb. if u need more power for ur system like he said higher output alternator. caps always fuck up

Before you even spend the money on a HO alt, I would look into the big 3 (I think there is a write up on CT). If you arent familiar with that, it is upgrading the wiring for:

1 Battery Neg to Chassis
2 Alt to Battery pos
2 Chassis to engine.

From my reading, this seems to fix people problems (dimming lights) most of the time. If this doesnt fix it, then look into a HO alt...if that doesnt fix it...then think about a cap, or a dual battery setup.

OP, I rally have no idea whats causing your problem...look through the manual for your cap if you really want to keep it...some like the "bling factor", not my cup of tea though) and make sre you didnt miss something. And triple check your connection points. I had a similiar prob wth an amp do to a poor crimp on the remote wire.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
craigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant future

craigFLA's Tacoma Gallery
the use or benefit of caps is probably the oldest debate still going in car audio...lol..

I agree with others that the Big-3 should be your first step. I also installed a Kinetik battery. I eventually removed the additional 0 gauge and fuse-block from the alt to the battery, as I havent installed my system yet, but think it wont be necessary.

However... AFTER making these upgrades, it is my opinion that a quality cap (like an Alumapro) can help stabilize power input to the amps. The downfall though, is the additional wiring associated with a cap, the potential for complications.

There are many knowledgable people in car audio who follow the KISS (keep it simple stupid for the 1 person who hasnt heard it..lol) rule... I only wish I could be one of them...lol..

Have you tried running the system without the cap? If you remove it and dont notice a difference, then I would suggest leaving it out...again..keep things simple.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marv
Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
Did you charge the cap before installing it?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #8

when i installed it it was not charged, but then, like any guy, i read the instructions so i disconnected everything and charged until the digits went up to 11.8.

and yes, the system works without the cap with no noticeable difference, but still i would like to know what i am doing wrong...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Marv View Post
Did you charge the cap before installing it?
what are your feelings on caps?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marv
Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by it's in coma View Post
when i installed it it was not charged, but then, like any guy, i read the instructions so i disconnected everything and charged until the digits went up to 11.8.

and yes, the system works without the cap with no noticeable difference, but still i would like to know what i am doing wrong...
It sounds like you installed it properly so sans a bad connection my guess would be it is defective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
what are your feelings on caps?
Buy "better" speakers with the money you will save by not buying a cap.