Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Anyone know where I can find a Sundown SA-8?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
adaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shed

adaptedtheory's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know where I can find a Sundown SA-8?

For under 140 dollars? Or should I just settle for 140?

http://ozpcsllc.com/productdetail.php?idproducts=214
^best deal I've found so far...
Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
What's your setup going to be like? I hope you have a lot of power on tap. That might be the least efficient subwoofer ever made lol
Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

And yes I think 140 seems like a decent price.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
adaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
What's your setup going to be like? I hope you have a lot of power on tap. That might be the least efficient subwoofer ever made lol
At this point, I'm just having a custom box, that sub, and I'm not sure on what amp. a 750-1000 watt is anticipated I think. What would you recommend? I don't see how that's the least efficient sub made they definitely push
Old 07-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Sounds Gooooood

Here is what I have for specs on it....

D2 Model :
RE: 3.28 ohms (series)
FS: 41.6 Hz
Qes: 0.513
Qms: 6.606
Qts: 0.476
Le: 2.778 mH
Vas: 3.285 L
BL: 17.138 N/A
Cms: 83.341 um/N
Mms: 175.654 g
Sens: 78.476 dB @ 1w/1m
BL^2/RE: 89.5

D4 Model :
RE: 6.08 ohms
Fs: 44.66 Hz
Qes: 0.594
Qms: 6.337
Qts: 0.545
Le: 4.26 mH
VAS: 4.44 L
BL: 21.20 N/A
Cms: 80.8 uM/N
Mms: 157 g
Sens: 80.06 @ 1w/1m
BL^2/RE: 73.92

At about 80db efficiency that is really really low. Here's how power and efficiency work and why they matter. The efficiency rating of a subwoofer is the level of output you'll get when you apply 1 single watt to the speaker. This means that it will play 80db loud with 1 watt in the case of the SA-8.

There isn't a person alive that would call 80db LOUD so we're going to need to put more power on it to get it to an acceptable level. So let's DOUBLE the power to 2watts; now the subwoofer plays 83db loud. Loud of course still being a relative term. Double the power again....(the math below)

Sundown SA-8
80db-----1watt
83db-----2watts
86db-----4watts
89db-----8watts
92db-----16watts
95db-----32watts
98db-----64watts
101db----128watts
104db----256watts
107db----512watts
110db----1024watts

Now let's say you started out with a subwoofer that had an efficiency rating on 89db. That's a reasonably efficient 12" subwoofer. Here's how much power you would need to achieve the same output and the math breakdown behind it.

89db-----1watt
92db-----2watts
95db-----4watts
98db-----8watts
101db----16watts
104db----32watts
107db----64watts
110db----128watts

So yes, you could throw 1000watts of power at the 8" sub to get the output you want assuming 110db is enough. If it's not you're going to run out of power very quickly. You're also going to run out of power handling too. Putting it in a giant ported box will help but then again I'd imagine you're choosing an 8" sub to save space so that sort of defeats the purpose.

If it were me I'd choose a fairly efficient 12" sub and throw a modest amount of power on it. You'll likely be happier. But then again that's a total lie. If it were me.....(and two years ago it was) I'd probably do something stupid like throw two 8's under the seat and make things as difficult on myself as possible. I say that because I know the most logical answer isn't always the coolest. Sometimes taking the rocky road less traveled is rewarding in it's own right.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #6

http://www.amazon.com/SA-8-D2-Sundow...owViewpoints=1

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwo...wn-sa-8-a.html

http://www.northernvagmtrucks.com/fo...Sundown-SA-8-s

I can keep going but here's my point. I'm not an audio-phene when it comes to car audio but I don't have the space for much bigger than an 8". I'm going off of the best reviews i can find for the buck, and what my dude making the box is saying. If you have a better 8 at a better price you'd like to shoot to me, that'd be great. I appreciate your input but this isn't really a science project for me. I don't see how me getting 1 8" over a 12" is a 'cooler' option, so I don't really get your point
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Sounds Gooooood

It's a great sub for sure but I'm just making sure you know that you'll need a LOT of power to make it sing.

What are your space constraints? You mentioned not having much more room for anything but an 8" sub. What size (with the box included) is your maximum?

PS: Those videos of the subwoofer in the last link are in a CRX on 1600watts with a port tune in the 60's. That's a ton of power and the CRX cabin gain is well known to be one of the best in car audio. Guys go out and buy CRX's for that specific purpose.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #8

I'm trying to keep both of my back seats free in my back cab so essentially it'll be the center console design in the back seats, so the box will sit in between the seats. For me an 8" sub is just preferable. A 10 probably won't fit in that area
Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Sounds Gooooood

Downfiring or what? Did you calculate how much airspace you have available?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #10

.8 - 1 cubic feet is what i am looking at after port and sub displacement. I already have a box design made up.

oh and its gonna be sub up, port up.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bkmcinty's Tacoma Gallery
Yes $140 is a great buy! Is it the V1 or V2? Either way thats a good price bc the v1s are 159 and the v2s are 189! Im doing two v1s in my double cab ported to like 30 hz cant wait!! SUBS ARE BEASSSTTTT
Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptedtheory View Post
For under 140 dollars? Or should I just settle for 140?

http://ozpcsllc.com/productdetail.php?idproducts=214
^best deal I've found so far...
This link is $150!?
Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Sounds Gooooood

That was a month ago....price went up
Old 08-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #14

That site is a scam.. its pretty much impossible to find them under market price of $160
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptedtheory View Post
That site is a scam.. its pretty much impossible to find them under market price of $160
Wouldnt surprise me......site looked a little shady
Old 08-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #16

Just picked up a pair of v1.5 for $100 each (i actually traded something worth $200) but the guy wanted $100 each for them and my roomate bought a pair of v2s nib from him for $160 each

Products Discussed in this Thread