1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Splicing into Aux Input Wires - Can it Be Done?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Tunngavik, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    I just purchased a new smart phone but when I connect it to my truck (2010) via the Aux input the sound level is way too low even with the stereo and smartphone volume up to the maximum (no surprise here).

After doing some research on the Tacomaworld forums I found this product - Soundshocker - http://phpaudio.jigsy.com/passive-preamp which is a passive preamp and has been used by other people to good results.

Basically you run an audio wire from the Aux Input to the Soundshocker and then an audio wire to your smart phone/mp3 player and it boosts the levels so that you won't have to crank up the volume so much.

I would prefer not to have a million wires all over the place so wanted to hardwire this thing in and have the audio connection cable (to the smartphone) come up somewhere in the central console by the drivers elbow so that all the wires are out of site.

So here is my question. Do you think it would be possible to locate the wires behind the Tacoma Aux Input port in the dash, splice into those wires with an audio cable, run that audio cable up to the center console and have the connection for the preamp and smartphone/mp3 player there.

I know a lot about electrical wiring but not anything about audio wiring. I really don;t want to be cutting cables with no chance of success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Dec 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    jlleiber

jlleiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport DC 4x4
    I'm going to bump this old thread instead of starting a new one...

Does anyone know of a way to splice the aux cable behind the AUX input spot? I want to hardwire in a plug n' play satellite radio but still retain the function of the AUX input as well. Any ideas?

My only other thought is to buy a 3.5mm splitter, plug into the aux, run one end to the sat radio and leave the other open for phones/ipods. I just want to avoid having exposed wires..

3. Dec 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I've never tried it but I believe it is doable.

That said, if it was my rig I'd go the splitter route. I say that because you know what you're doing will work without issues, plus the ease of removeability in case you don't want to risk a break-in.

4. Dec 10, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    jlleiber

jlleiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport DC 4x4
    I agree with you there. I'll definitely hide the sat antenna wire and am comfortable hardwiring the plug n play radio's power behind the dash so they'll be hidden. I actually just ordered a splitter and will try it out. If it doesn't look clean enough then I'll investigate further.

Products Discussed in

To Top