Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

USA Spec PA15 owners with iPhone

Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
USA Spec PA15 owners with iPhone

I've had the PA15-TOY unit for 2 months now and suddenly it stopped working with my iPhone 4 however my wife's phone still works and my old iPhone 3G still works. I've narrowed it down to the update version - because of work I need to have the latest Apple firmware or my work won't allow me to connect to the network to read emails and view my calendar.

Here's something else I noticed, I have the playlists named as TOYOTA1, TOYOTA2, etc but my wife's phone and my old 3G do not however they play fine.

My question to anyone on here with an iPhone and the PA15 unit: what. Erosion of firmware do you have? I have 5.1.1 wife has 5.0.1 and 3G has 3.0.1

Update: My 3G has been updated to the latest firmware and no longer plays, my iPhone 4 still has 5.1.1 and both are not recognized by the PA51 unit. My wife's iPhone 4 5.0.1 still works in the truck without a problem. Beginning to think it's my phone since there are replies below stating they have 5.1.1 working with the PA15 unit.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Nope - spoke to USA Spec who said they're "starting to update an iPhone 4 with the latest firmware." They didn't seem to definitive on whether they got it to work on their side or not. As of. Ow I'm waiting for the Amazon seller to get back to me on whether this can be exchanged or not. When I get the rejection from them I have to send USASpec an email with proof of purchase, problem description, etc and they'll give me an RA# which I'm supposed to put in the box when I ship the unit to them. I'll keep you updated on this thread. In the meantime I'm trying to update my iPhone 3G to update 5.1.1 and see if it works.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
date joined 03-18-2009 this is my new ID
Glamis is on a distinguished road
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
ok Thanks, I have both a 4 and 4s in my house. The interface I have now will not work with phones at all and no AUX. It is from 08 when I got the truck. Hopping the I5 phone will work. Do you ever you the Line in (AUX) I would like to get Pandora in my truck. Burn as much data as I can I'm still unlimited with VZW.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #5

JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
I have the AUX output in my 2009 and works sometimes, just an overall loose connection. Did either of your phones ever work with the PA15?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
My PA-15 works just fine with my iP4 on 5.1.1.

My PA-15 is ~1.5 years old.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a couple different iPod units (iPod2car & USA-spec).
Depending on when you buy the units and how old /new your phones or iPods are - are not always compatible.

The old ipod2car unit was really old but would not work with the newer Nano I purchased. It still played, but the click wheel was not responsive. Something with the firmware or the plug itself.

I bought the USA Spec years ago to use with that nano (mentioned above) and a Classic. All units of the same era. (they are about 5 years old now)

My iPhone4 will not work on the 5 year old USA spec. It won't even recognize that its been plugged in.

I continue to use my 5 year old Classic on the USA spec.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
Hope fully the one I order from amazon is not old stock. I will get it today before 3pm
Old 07-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
Tasty fish in a tortilla
SalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
SalmonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post

x2
Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
This might be a solution for you guys with an older unit.

http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1
Old 07-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
on my way home to install my PA-15 what settings do you have your 1 2 3 4 set on.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #12

JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This is good info. Thank you. I wonder how I could tell i I have an older stock unit. Te weird thing is that it did work perfectly for a few months.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
it is working with my iPhone and 5.1.1 so im happy Lets hope it will work with the new IOS 6
Old 07-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #14

JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sorry I should say this: this is ALL good info in this thread. another reason this forum kicks ass (except for Oz- he's tapped)
Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
Amburgers is on a distinguished road

Name: Dallas
Amburgers's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought one off amazon and it will be here Friday. I have a 4s I'll let you know if it works or not.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #16

JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
I added my update to the 1st post. Dallas, let me know how your 4s goes! (And also the firmware version)
Old 08-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #17

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This might be a solution for you guys with an older unit.

http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1
bump

It's the cable, not your phone.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #18

JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Crap I'm sorry I missed that earlier. Just ordered the CB-PA015 cable $26 shipped. I'll update the 1st post once I get the new cable and install it.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #19

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
It should work.

It's labeled "3G CABLE for all PA15/20 Series "

EDIT: Damnit. I just noticed one of your three iPhones does work. The iP4.

You might want to give USA SPEC a call before that cable order goes through. I'd hate to see you waste $26.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
Amburgers is on a distinguished road

Name: Dallas
Amburgers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
I added my update to the 1st post. Dallas, let me know how your 4s goes! (And also the firmware version)
So, got mine on Friday (my first Tacoma and USA Spec, timed it just right ) and it works great, no issues. I ended up running it to the little tray to the right of the steering wheel, love it there. Here is a pic, and I am getting a grommet to go around the cutout, make it look more finished.

SIDE NOTE: It also works GREAT with Spotify, I may try to do a post detailing the install, but if you have Spotify the USA spec is perfect.

I do have one question though, does anybody's iPhone get really warm when connected to the USA Spec? Ive noticed mine does when plugged into some various accessories but into this it seems unusually warm. Thanks!