Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2012 "modified fit" installation

Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
jgorniak is on a distinguished road
jgorniak's Tacoma Gallery
2012 "modified fit" installation

Hi, Taco newbie here with a question I haven't seen answered yet (or maybe I didn't search well enough).

I'm looking to replace the factory HU with something better from Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc. I understand that there are no 2012 dash kits yet, but the 2011 kits work "okay". However, on the Crutchfield site, most of the units are tagged as "modified fit". A rep I chatted with said: "In the case of the 2012 Tacoma it is referencing the need for a mounting kit to be custom fabricated."

So my question: has anyone made this mounting kit yet, or is it included with the dash kits that aren't available yet? If you did fab one, how difficult was it? Are there any other ways to work around this for now?

Thanks for the help, and I apologize if this has been asked before.

John
Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Alaskan is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Alaskan's Tacoma Gallery
There is one on crutchfield but its $200 and only works with one companies nav. unit which is another $1400, supposibly scosche is coming out with one in september but who knows.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
So the mounting kit Crutchfield refers to is the dash kit? Got it; I thought they might have been two different parts, with the dash kit being what you can see on the outside.

In that case, which 2011 kits have you guys used in the 2012's? How "off" is the fit? If you're looking for a new head unit on Crutchfield, are you entering your vehicle as a 2011 Tacoma?

Sorry for so many questions; this will be my first major install.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Robo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: Deputy
Robo02cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorniak View Post
So the mounting kit Crutchfield refers to is the dash kit? Got it; I thought they might have been two different parts, with the dash kit being what you can see on the outside.

In that case, which 2011 kits have you guys used in the 2012's? How "off" is the fit? If you're looking for a new head unit on Crutchfield, are you entering your vehicle as a 2011 Tacoma?

Sorry for so many questions; this will be my first major install.
Subbed!!! I have a kit from my 08 that I pulled out and want to install in my new 2012 but was wondering how bad the fit really is?!?!?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
somebody had a pic on here of a 2011 kit in a 12. It was off and didnt look good. Would it hold you over until the 2012 kits came out, sure.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
eight08 will become famous soon enough
eight08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hi, Taco newbie here with a question I haven't seen answered yet (or maybe I didn't search well enough).

I'm looking to replace the factory HU with something better from Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc. I understand that there are no 2012 dash kits yet, but the 2011 kits work "okay". However, on the Crutchfield site, most of the units are tagged as "modified fit". A rep I chatted with said: "In the case of the 2012 Tacoma it is referencing the need for a mounting kit to be custom fabricated."

So my question: has anyone made this mounting kit yet, or is it included with the dash kits that aren't available yet? If you did fab one, how difficult was it? Are there any other ways to work around this for now?

Thanks for the help, and I apologize if this has been asked before.

John
I planned to replace it once the new kits come out, but I doubt I will. I don't even notice it when driving.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^I see, so the mismatch is caused by the higher fan grille surrounds in 2012s.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Thanks for posting the pic, eight08. From that view it looks like the upper-right corner of the dash kit is recessed and the lower-left corner is raised. Is that a Scosche kit? It looks like trying to fit a DIN with a motorized screen might be a tight fit.

I think I could live with that, at least for a while. Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
eight08 will become famous soon enough
eight08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for posting the pic, eight08. From that view it looks like the upper-right corner of the dash kit is recessed and the lower-left corner is raised. Is that a Scosche kit? It looks like trying to fit a DIN with a motorized screen might be a tight fit.

I think I could live with that, at least for a while. Thanks again!
it's a metra turbokit (99-8214tb). the kit contains parts for either a double din or single din install. the top of the kit is a little recessed and near the bottom is indeed a little raised. otherwise the kit is secure to my dash, and the radio is secure to the dash kit... the kit just doesn't align visually.