1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 radio blanks out/unresponsive buttons

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sacha7905, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Aug 2, 2012 at 5:54 AM
    sacha7905

sacha7905 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I have a base model 2012 tacoma regular cab 4x4. Yesterday the radio's display blanked out, and all the buttons on the head unit were unresponsive. However sound was still coming through the speakers. This morning I wake up to take it to the dealer and it works fine. Not sure what the problem is.

2. Dec 31, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    grizquad

grizquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma TRD sport
    Plasmaglow Firestorm lights, Westin Bull bar, Flyzeye interior console lights
    I have a 2012 with factory radio, and truck is garaged. Did not drive for a couple of days as temp is in single digits. Went couple of miles for take out and radio screen went blank, no buttons worked on radio, music still played, but buttons on steering wheel worked. This was at night, went out next day 9 deg, still blank, let cab get nice and toasty, and still nothing. tried "tap method" still nothing. Tried phone button on steering wheel and display lit up, pressed cancel, and in about a minute full display came on. Steering volume worked but bar display not there, little while later it worked and everything was working fine. So problem persisted day or night, headlights and no headlights, all other dash lights worked fine. Temp outside in single digits. Only thing I can think of is if plugs on back of radio are "bi-metalic" there was shrinkage and non contact until everything warmed up.
    Anyone else had anything like this?? For now, I am just going to leave well enough alone.......if it aint broke, don't fix it..........
    Thanks and Happy New Year!

3. Dec 31, 2017 at 7:35 AM
    Steve721

Steve721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2009 Speedway Blue, TRD Sport
    I haven't experienced this problem as of yet with my Tacoma, but my wife's sienna does this from time to time. Mostly when the temperatures dip down low. I have noticed after the vehicle warms up, the problem corrects itself. I relating this problem to the cold. I also noticed that it doesn't effect the steering wheel controls. Those work fine. I didn't know if it would happen to my Tacoma. Haven't seen it happen yet.

grizquad likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top