1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has any installed this custom speaker box?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by DooDooBrown, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Jan 8, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    DooDooBrown

DooDooBrown [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nawlins
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    Sound
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jan 8, 2009 at 9:12 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    I've never seen that one before, but watch out for the 5'' mounting depth!

3. Jan 8, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    gonna need the shallow mount subs for that box.

4. Jan 8, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    I have this one from supercrewsound.com

http://www.supercrewsound.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=105&catId=69

it's pretty much the same deal. It fit great, and sounds great. but as was pre-mentioned, you need to use shallow mount subs. I went with the 10" TT65's (MTX) with only 3" depth, there's lots of room. and they pound. I did have to mod the box so that the sub wouldn't hit the back of the seats though. I just cut out the box to bigger than the sub, and mounted another mdf ring inside the enclosure, so the woofer is set bask an extra 5/8"

5. Jan 8, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    I normally don't comment on other peoples items but I'm still trying to figure out what kind of math these guys are using to come up with .77ft^3 per chamber. :confused:

6. Jan 8, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    maybe they fill them full of water then measure the water. each enclosure, (there being two of them) is .77 cubes each. what's the big deal?

7. Jan 8, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    The big deal is if you are relying on that amount of airspace to determine if your particular subs will work well in it you will be way off. I've built a fair amount of enclosures for these trucks and simple math tells me or anyone else who can multiply/divide that there is no way you can get any where near that amount of airspace with those measurements.

8. Jan 8, 2009 at 10:29 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i dunno dude, if each enclosure was about 1'2" long, that would put you right around .77cubic feet.

9. Jan 9, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Yeah duuuude... except it isn't a rectangle, it's a trapazoid... so like, I mean the math doesn't support the .77 cft. :p
    There is also the notch that has to be cut for the cross bar in the back, that reduces internal volume.

If the dimensions are accurate (and assuming a width of 1'2" per enclosure) you can only achieve .88cft of total displaced volume from the enclosures. But that is not taking into account the lost internal volume due to the dimensions of the building materials (listed as 5/8"). If you take that into account, you end up with .484 cuft, and this is before removing the cutout for the cross bar, which is about .05 cuft per enclosure. Marv has done these calcs more than I have (and I have plugged numbers on this problem for my truck numerous times and let him go ahead and build it for me), so I completely trust his logic on this issue.

10. Jan 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i dunno, I usually just fill them with water then weigh the water. it's a lot easier or some of the fiberglass ones i've seen. it's pretty simple to work out. 1 liter weighs one kilogram. and one liter is .035 cubic feet.

11. Jan 9, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Understandable, and that is a great technique for fiberglass, especially if it is in an odd shape. But with MDF or particle board like most boxes (including the one we are discussing here) you can't do that. Water will destroy the material.

I was just bored this morning, so I crunched the numbers given above.

Products Discussed in

To Top