1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Awful Sounding 2012 Access Cab Rear Channel Speakers INSIDE the Headliner?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by AJ1G, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Aug 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM
    AJ1G

AJ1G [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Stonington, CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 2.7L Auto 4X4 SR5 Access Cab
    What were they thinking ( or more likely NOT thinking)? Only complaint I have so far on our new 4X4 2012 Access cab. Came with the SR5 package including the high end radio with Bluetooth, iPod sync, and SiriusXM. When I added extra bass and cranked it a bit, I heard lots of rattling and what sounded like overdriven speakers. Adjusted the front rear fader and realized the source was the two rear channel speakers that apparently are stuffed INSIDE the headliner in the cab ceiling. WORST design ever. With the fader on full rear channel, all you hear is some tinny muffled sound and rattling at high power from deep bass. In addition to being muffled by being buried in the headliner, they appear to be rattling either due to the speaker cones contacting the headliner on deep bass excursions, or are not capable of handling any significant amount of power. Who would ever have the audacity to actually sell such a lame design? Stupid, stupid stupid. Would have been better off to just hook the rear channels to dummy load resistors. If I were a member of Toyota's engineering management, I would would be deeply embarrassed by this design.

System sounds very good with the fader on full front just using the front door mounted speakers but sure would like to be able to fully use the capability of the radio with some properly mounted rear speakers as well.

I really feel that this design error should be corrected on Toyata's nickel. I assume that they won't though. That said, looking for recommendations on adding a set of decent surface mount speakers either in the overhead or elsewhere to fix this dopey factory as built setup.

2. Aug 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    Its the speakers not the location, you will know why when you pull them out. They are paper cone and at any volume over 30 they start crackling. I put new coax's in and it sounds pretty well amazing.

Just my $0.02

3. Aug 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    This...just get any other speakers and they'll be fine.

4. Aug 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    deanbhula1

deanbhula1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    They haven't changed from this design since 09 so I doubt they will now lol. I didn't like them either and they are a pain in the ass to remove from the headliner. I just added some coaxials in the rear doors and called it a day! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344189087.244440.jpg

5. Aug 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    Milowilli

Milowilli Milowilli

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    05/ 07,09/11Tacoma access cab 4x4
    What makes it more sad is that they are made in China!!!! Chinese speakers in a Toyota.

6. Sep 24, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    tlf1058

tlf1058 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dandridge, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma 4x4
    17" wheels off a Sequoyah
    AJ,
    I have a 2012 Access Cab 4x4 SR5 also.
    I don't believe I am Bluetooth capable. Is there an OEM replacement radio that would get Bluetooth in my vehicle??

Terry

7. Sep 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    Space Junk

Space Junk Flight Ready

Member:
    Silicon Valley
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma access Cab TRD Off Road
    Is there a write up somewhere that explains how to drop the headliner without mangling it and especially without activating/damaging the side curtains?

Oh and what size are these speakers?

8. Sep 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    jmdaniel

jmdaniel Has A Well Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 CrewMax, 1977 FJ40 Landcruiser
    The general consensus here is to disconnect the craptastic "Exciter" panels in the headliner, and replace the front door speakers, potentially add a sub, rear door speakers if you want to cut the plastic, and don't expect much impact. I did some of that over the weekend; put in a new HU, disconnected my speaker harness, ran speaker wire to the Boston coax speakers in the front doors. I also will be putting in a Kicker Hideaway, under the front passenger seat. Trying to mess with that headliner, then find something that you could use up there, is a lotta work, for litte return.

Products Discussed in

To Top