1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012's adding OEM steering wheel controls for aftermarket HU

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by B737, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Aug 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    B737

B737 [OP] Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    im planning on installing a DNX9990HD or the 6990HD...

i have searched but not found anything...
    i know that kenwood makes a interface for their unit that will tie into tacoma OE steering wheel controls.

trouble is, my truck did not come with steering wheel controls (convenience package base model access cab)

would it be possible to order the OE steering wheel controls, remove the blanks off my wheel, replace... id be lucky if there was already a wiring harness there so the wheel would not have to be removed.

anyone have any insight to this aspect of aftermarket installation?

2. Aug 11, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    I wanna know the same as I want that same controls wheel but with the nicer audio unit, I am doubtful though as the RC doesn't have wiring for fogs so who knows what else is missing, lol.

I'll be calling Toyota Monday and pricing the leather wrapped wheel for my year, pretty sure the x runner or a top of the line Taco has the leather wheel.

3. Aug 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Totally different assembly.

The blank on the right is for the cruise stalk. Blank on the left is simply an access cover for the airbag retention bolt.

Adding controls to a non-equipped model would require a new clockspring (spiral cable) and new airbag at the bare minimum.
    I don't know if the column harness is even there.

4. Aug 12, 2012 at 4:20 AM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Well, that takes care of that mod, lol...

I still should be able find a leather wrapped steering wheel though right, I'm gonna ride to the dealer this morning and just look in the windows and see what model has one stock, and see it looks the same,

Thanks for the heads up on the audio controls...

You by chance wouldn't know if the base audio unit in my 2012 was capable of controling an iPod would ya?

5. Aug 12, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    B737

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    Rich thank you for that heads up. I was hoping if i dropped the airbag out i might see some wire harnesses in there.

---
    Zack check this out...
    http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2012/TOYOTA/TACOMA/?siteid=213747&vehicleid=1502962&diagram=8512337

i have the sport type wheel (not sure what its called specifically, leatherette and thumb rests) in my access cab, im not sure if its pre wired for the steering wheel controls or not, sounds like it isnt according to rich. I think getting a closer look to see would be pretty straight forward. on the sides of your wheel there are covers that pop off with your thumb, they are pretty loose actually. in there are fasteners. I think those will allow the air bag to drop out, then you could remove the plastic switch cover blanks. unfortunately when i saw that the switch pod (1) was $300 i starting thinking of other ideas...

I used this in my old truck, i modded it, removed its oblong shape and straps, and attached it to the SIDE of the wheel trim facing the door, essentially the same location as the trim cover to access the airbag bolt (unseen from the front and out of the way completely). from the normal wheel gripping position just extend your middle finger and touch the control. i was able to skip tracks and control the volume which is all i really wanted. the nice thing about this unit is its less than $100 and its totally wireless. I saved it, and will either attach it to the little trim cover on the side of the wheel, or further fwd on the steering column trim (you'll see when you do your wiper mod).

http://retailer.installernet.com/pr...1217&sid=3E8B4159-2E50-4946-98DE-3BBA3AF624DA

[​IMG]

heres how it looked in my old truck. i'll do something similar it tacoma i think...

[​IMG]

6. Aug 12, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Dude that's sweet!

Thanks for the heads up,

7. Aug 12, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    That's actually not that bad for a factory leather wrapped steering wheel!

I was thinking from Toyota it would be around 400-500,

Still a few more things I'll get before I get that but a nice short shifter and a leather shift knob and wheel sure would feel nice in there!

Gonna call a few local junkyards I used to use a lot in Honda stuff, I've had leather wheels from an Integra in all my Civics at @50 bucks each, I had to remove them myself to get that price. Lol.

8. Aug 12, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    B737

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    haha, almost... next part number down... you were close ;)

9. Aug 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Ouch!

Here it is! Sampsonite, I was way off!

Junkyard here I come!

10. Aug 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I was mistaken on the audio controls.... I forgot that the 2012 wheel was totally redesigned.

It looks like you can indeed replace the covers.
    Is the harness there? Tough call.
    Easy enough to remove the airbag and look for a blank plug. If it's there, remove the head unit and look for a connector back there.

I have no idea on the base HU being able to control the iPod.

As for inexpensive leather wrap... how about $40-$80 and an hour of lacing?

wheelskin.jpg

Buy from their eBay seller (their outlet store) and save about $20 off of the regular site price.
    In comments you can specify colors and perforation preference. I bought the auction for the fully-perforated and requested that only the sides be perf'd.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Aug 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM
    B737

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    i just took the airbag off. just two T27 torx drivers (extended ones are handy but theres plenty of room in there)

i think those of us without controls are hosed. i see some space next to the CC/ horn plug but im not sure theres anything going to it... i think if there was a pre-wire in there for the controls, it would have jumped out at me...

Untitled-2_ac88ce23fafbe4122ebafe0607df34dde28db06d.jpg

12. Aug 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Ya, would likely be on the left.

You'd at the least need a new spiral cable, and if the harness is not run through the column, still more work there.

There are aftermarket SW control kits, but they don't look "clean" to me, and tend to be custom-fit to base models so they would block the cruise stalk.

Just go aftermarket with a HU with a remote, anyone in the truck can control it.
    Honestly, the SW controls aren't that big of a deal to me.
    Wife has them on her Rav4 and loves them. I had them on my Silverado and never used them. Too many years of being conditioned to reach for the HU.

13. Aug 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Oh dude, no worries,

Nice wheel cover. I actually had one like that I stitched onto my 85 SR5, loved it man!

Yeah I noticed today when I was out driving that my HU says SAT on one of the buttons! I got so excited because if I cold just use the factory HU to control next track and previous I would be grateful.

I'll take the bag out on a week or two and see if there is a blank plug under it for the audio controls. Who knows. I may get lucky!

14. Aug 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    B737

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    its hard to see in that photo but there is a location that appears to be open, same width, to the left of the narrow white connector that has the brown wire going to it...

very true, just adding in wireless RF remote is a cinch.

adjusted contrast in above picture. location more noticeable..
    edit again...
    if the OE steering controls uses a skinny plug just like the white one... then i think the location for it is the open space next to the white one shown above...

Products Discussed in

To Top