1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much power without an amp?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Moving4ward, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Aug 9, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Moving4ward

Moving4ward [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2011 2.7L 5-speed Taco 4x4
    Toolbox. Looking for wheels&tires!!
    2011 taco access cab... what should i expect out of a pair of front speakers without adding an aftermarket amplifier?

[​IMG]

2. Aug 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Slight increase in sound quality and probably a little louder. Best thing is just to replace the head unit while you're messing with the truck.

3. Aug 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Moving4ward

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I agree - kind of on a budget - and if i do go that route, i DEFINITELY want to get a SiriusXM headunit.

Does such a thing exist for our tacos, that doesnt require a wire running out to those ugly antennas on the winshield/roof?

4. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Not really... but some have been successful in mounting the antennae for both radio and GPS on top of the AC vents under the dash plastic.

They claim good coverage, but the way my Sirius drops out when I'm next to a semi, I'm not so sure.

5. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    HU alone made a MASSIVE improvement in my stock system. some coaxial speakers paired with a HU would be a nice upgrade.

6. Aug 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    Moving4ward

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I'm buying 2 goats, some chickens and a handful of vegetable seeds and moving out to Yellowstone. Living alone in the woods for the rest of my days. It's our only chance. Off the fckin griddd, mannn.

I agree, what's holding me up at this point is finding the right unit for me among a million choices.

I want - well, a lot, heh - but specifically:

- HD Radio
    - Pandora
    - SiriusXM (without the antenna eyesore)
    - Aux port (and a USB and SD sure would be nice)
    - The ability to plug my Android cellphone in and just use the thing fully on the head unit! Doubt such a thing is even possible though :/

7. Aug 10, 2012 at 4:12 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Political discussin is not permitted on TW.

8. Aug 10, 2012 at 5:04 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I think that Sony App Radio is compatible with Android's.
    What? Did I miss something?

9. Aug 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    You might possibly look into the Pioneer units. I own two of the older versions a AVHP4200DVD and a AVHP4300DVD. Both are excellent. The newer versions add even more things they will do. The 4300 I have can do Pandora, will play dvd, allows sd card, can plug the phone in, ipod controls etc.etc. Sprang for that one instead of a brand new one only because it did what I wanted and was cheaper for me to buy.

On the sirius. All the stuff I've seen and done with them will require a SAT head unit. There might be something out there with all built in all in one. I'm sure someone will chime in. The ones I've dealt with require you to buy the module which also comes with the antenna. The module plugs into the back of the hu and the antenna connects to it.

On just swapping the speakers on your truck the biggest advantage is you will probably get a better frequency range out of them. I'm unsure what ohm your factory speakers are rated at, but might keep this in mind when selecting new speakers if you plan to run them off of factory. As an example, my Camry came with 2 ohm speakers from the factory.

Products Discussed in

To Top