1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Error-1 OEM cd changer

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JoeyOso, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Aug 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    JoeyOso

JoeyOso [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    First post here, forgive me if my etiquette isn't on par. I have an 07 PreRunner with OEM (A51837) 6 disc cd changer that started giving the "Error-1" message a couple days ago. There was nothing sparatic about it, just stopped working.
    I've read about the error relating to dirty/damaged disc but his is not the case, these are new discs (not burned). I have tried the resolutions below with no luck. Aside from replacing the unit, does anyone have any tips or knowledge on what the repair steps are for the unit? Or perhaps any further troubleshooting tips?

-checked/cleaned discs
    -ejected & reinserted several times
    -disconnected battery for 10min
    -opened top of unit and manually cleaned lens

Furthermore does anyone have an 07 OEM (A51837) for sale?

2. Aug 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    send it out or replace. Internal failure

3. Aug 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    JoeyOso

JoeyOso [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    So the whole unit is a gonner? I've opened the unit, watched all the mechanics work fine, it just seems like it's not recognizing the disc. Thought there would be a way to repair without having to trash the whole unit.

4. Aug 13, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    check the B/S/T section here. lots of folks replacing their stockers w/ aftermarket and selling them.

5. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Maybe the laser pick-up unit is dead.

6. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I happen to have a 6 disc for sale, why not upgrade? Make an offer.

btw. It will plug directly into your stock plugs. No difference. Plug and Play. 5 more discs!!

7. Aug 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    JoeyOso

JoeyOso [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Sandman - The one I have is the 6disc (A51837) is the model on the front of the unit. Does yours have the same? If so, I'd be interested in buying yours as a replacement. What year did yours come out of?

8. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    There is. You can have it repaired or have an exchange. I asked one of the repair venders one day what usually good wrong with these. He says everything from the circuit board to the laser. So you need the ability to get some knowledge and information to try and and repair it if you want to tackle it on your own.

AHHHHHH you may have a solution to your problem from Sandman...
    Good luck

9. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Ah, I must have missed that part. I believe it's out of an '07, P/N A51810. AFAIK there is no difference, same plugs, same wires, these fit 05-11 (2012 may be different), mine is non-JBL, no XM-SAT, Same as yours. In the pictures I have it hooked up to my 2006 that has a single disc player in it. If you want more pictures I can take more. It's still sitting on my dining table.

10. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    JoeyOso

JoeyOso [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Awesome - just looked at the pics, looks identical. What's "non JBL" mean? I do have the steering wheel controls if that's it. Would like to keep those if possible. Maybe that's the difference between A51837 & A51810.

11. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    JBL refers to the upgraded speakers and "performance" sound package Toyota and other makers offer. It would say JBL on the faceplate if it was.

12. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    JoeyOso

JoeyOso [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Gotcha - I don't believe mine is. Let me know if you'd take less than $90 for it, I know that's a steal but I'm not looking to spend much to replace w/ the same thing. If you find a taker before then...jump on it!

BTW - thanks for all your help as this is my first post here. How can I go back to posts that I have previously commented on and see other memeber's replies? Is there a notification or reminder?

13. Aug 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Look under subscriptions

14. May 11, 2015 at 1:21 PM
    nguyas

nguyas Active Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top