Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

New head unit install notes, wiring a TR7 module and Axxess ASWC

Old 08-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Techno Duck is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
Techno Duck's Tacoma Gallery
New head unit install notes, wiring a TR7 module and Axxess ASWC

Installed a new head unit yesterday, install was pretty simple but figure i post up some notes about the wiring.

I put in an Alpine deck with a screen. Other than the normal wiring, i wanted to keep the steering wheel radio controls. I also wanted to bypass the brake / parking brake function of the new deck. This function requires you to have your foot on the brake and the parking brake set in order to watch video or access some of the more advanced menu settings on the deck. I dont plan on watching videos while driving, but i didnt want to go through the other process just to access the other menu settings.

So what i got was the Metra 120ASWC kit to allow me to retain steering wheel controls. With the Metra steering wheel control kit, you can do the install but it requires splicing 3 wires off the factory harness, you can avoid this by purchasing Metra harness 70-8114. To bypass the brake / parking brake function, i bought a 'universal timing trigger'... PAC TR-7. The TR-7 is wired to the radio (inplace of the brake switches).

Amazon has the best prices on both (no surprise), the 120ASWC is $40 and the TR-7 is less than $20. That adapter harness for the steering controls i mentioned is around $15 i think, so up to you if you want to save the money or avoid splicing any wires.

Now the wiring is pretty simple for both.

For the 120AWSC kit, you need to splice a few wires off the 20-pin connector. Now if you use the 'generic' harness provided with the 120AWSC, you will be left with a few unused wires, just tape them up and zip tie them neatly together. Here is what you need to connect..

Green / Orange - Splice to Pin #7 on the 20-pin connector
Black / Green - Splice to Pin #8 on the 20-pin connector

Pin #6 on 20-pin connector needs to be connected to a ground such as the one on the radio harness

Red - 12v switched, Can be connected to your radio harness
Black - Ground, Can be connected to your radio harness

Now for the TR7..

Green - Color will depend on your radio (Blue / White for Alpine) but this must goto the Remote Turn On wire for your radio (check the wire diagram for your radio)
Blue - This goes to the brake light wire on your new radio harness
White - This goes to the parking brake wire on your new radio harness

Red - 12v switched, Can be connected your radio harness
Black - Ground, Can be connected to your radio harness

Both modules required no adjustment or setup, both worked right out of the box. So this allows me to retain the steering wheel controls and also not have to go through the brake / parking brake procedure that disables video / advanced menus on the head unit.

I dont have too many pictures unfortunately, but this was a relatively easy job.. this is probably the 6th or 7th radio i have installed, though this was the first time i installed the steering wheel controls and the bypass box. The hardest thing was getting the clock / hazard switch assembly out of the stock radio bezel .

Soldering the harnesses together..

Done with the soldering, zip tied up to try and keep it neat..

Testing to make sure everything works before final fitment

And done..
Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
good job. I plan on doing this, with a single din, and when a dash kit comes out for the 2012's