1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with components

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JayS, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Sep 1, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    JayS

JayS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Angleton, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner Stock
    So I have some 6.5" components that I am putting in the front doors on my 05 dbl cab. I do not have the speaker connector plugs. Probably not waiting to order some as no one around here sales them. Question is, how do I go about wiring them up?

I thought I saw an explanation on here awhile back, but I can't find it. I will be cutting and soldering the wires back together, I just am not sure which ones to cut and send to the input on the crossover. etc. etc.

Any help out there? I would like to knock it out before tomorrow.

Thanks

2. Sep 1, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Im guessing you dont have an amp? Do you plan on using the crossovers? You can probably just cut the wires, splice and solder, but i dont know how to determine negative and positive on the factory wiring. I ran my own speaker wire off of an amp so i cant really help you out sorry man. I have a set of the wire harnesses for aftermarket speakers im not using tho If you wanna wait i might be able to ship them to ya next week, i would also recomend gettin an amp for components if you have the stock stereo

3. Sep 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    JayS

Member:
    Angleton, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner Stock
    No I am not running an amp. I will be getting a new head unit in the future though. I was happy with the way the components that I installed in my Silverado (without amp) sounded, so I figure it will be OK in the Taco. I don't need crazy loud. Just clear.
    The problem I am having is the plug going onto the tweeter has 4 wires to it. I am not sure if the input from the radio goes into the tweeter, then out and to the bottom speaker or what. I won't be able to wait for the adapters, but I appreciate the offer.
    Anyone else have any ideas on the wiring for this problem? And any ideas for mounting the new (way smaller) tweeter in the factory location? I made my own adapter plates for the 6.5", and they work good, just need some ideas for the tweeter..
    Thanks

And it is very hot outside right now. Just thought ya'll might want to know that.

4. Sep 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    I made a custom mount out of mdf for my tweeters, just take out the old ones and use the shape as a pattern. It took alot of shaving with a box cutter to make it fit but its not very hard. Or hit up *********.com and order a tweeter mount they make them custom sizes.

5. Sep 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    JayS

Member:
    Angleton, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner Stock
    Appreciate the info. I figured out how to wire them up. And I ended up using my own custom mount for the tweeters. Turns out I had a use for that old license plate laying around after all.... Cut it to the proper shape and backed it with some Thermo Tec I had. I figure it shouldn't rattle or anything seeing as how it only has the highs coming from it. And the backing I put on it should help out.

I knew there was a reason I never throw old junk away.

I only ended up doing one side, since when I plugged it up to test, the new ones did not sound as good as the old ones. Probably because I do not have a new head unit yet. I figure I will wait until I get the new radio to do the other side. I need at least some bass to my music.

6. Sep 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Haha license plate!? Thats awesome. Ya most components really need more power, and the stock head unit wont give you enough, they dont sound good because they are underpowered. If your ganna get a sub you might as well run the components off of an amp as well as the sub.

7. Sep 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    JayS

Member:
    Angleton, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner Stock
    Yeah I don't know. I didn't plan on putting a big system in here, but the more I think about it, the more I might be leaning towards that. Not major big, just a little bit o' bump. I will definitely have to replace the amp in my Silverado for my wife if I do that.
    It blew up a year or two ago, and since I no longer drive it, I have never fixed it. Shoot for all I know, a wire could have just come off. That's her truck now.....lol

Products Discussed in

To Top