1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker thoughts

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by kmok, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Jan 21, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Not always true. A higher price doesn't always constitute the better product. Audiobahn tends to come in at a price tag suggesting it will compete with more respected mainstream brands, but you end up paying for flashing lights and flames. Common saying was, "you can't polish a turd, but you can chrome it"

2. Jan 21, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I also agree with Chickenmunga. Price is not a perfect indicator of quality. Sometimes you are just paying for a name (even if that name isn't a good one).

Your ears should be the real judges and not just your pocket book. If you can't hear the difference between $35 set of speakers and a $500 set, why waste your money? But if you can hear a difference, maybe it is worth it to you, and maybe it isn't. Buy what you like to listen to and install it correctly and you won't be disappointed.

3. Jan 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    x2 on that. If I can add a bit more from knowledge imparted to me...

-Try having the source be as close to your end goal setup as possible. Pick a head unit that is either the same model or same company as yours (for example, I would try an Alpine iDA-X100, if they don't have it go to an Alpine iDA series model, then whatever Alpine in the price range, etc..). Choose either unamplified or amplified with similar RMS power output (again trying to keep with same models).
    -remove extraneous equipment. Turn off subs, rear speakers, all of that to focus on one set of speakers at a time. If they don't sound good alone, then you have a weak point.
    -set all sound processing (loudness, bass boost, WIDE, SRS, whatever) and EQ curves to flat. This eliminates variables that could bias a speaker into sounding better or worse
    -Consider installation. If the showroom is large (remember your truck cab is basically a small room), has odd reflections (as in an irregular shaped room), has problems with distracting noise, then it's a waste of time.
    -Your favorite song might not be the most revealing song or best song for comparison. I like Rage Against the Machine and Mudvayne from time to time, but when I compare speakers I will try Los Lonely Boys, old Michael Jackson, acoustic guitar pieces... anything that has defineable instruments and/or nonsynthesized. I've always wanted to record my guitar playing one string at a time, then go to the showroom and play the guitar against the recording.
    -A good speaker will make the instruments and voices sound honest and true, a great speaker will let you hear what you normally miss - the singer breathing, amplifiers humming at 60 Hz...

4. Jan 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.

It's nice you commented on kenwoods, however i've listened to Morels, Infinity's, Rainbow's, Boston Acoustics...etc Which were all nice. BUT I like sound quality in my system, I have a processor that will enhance the sound and crap out any high end components or coaxial everytime. Price might not be the point, but quality with what else your running behind that system. Look it up or google it (Kove AX-1 aphex processor or BBE sonic maximizer) along with the Alpine G-320 Spectrum. Then we can start down grading brand names. All bout sound quality!!!:)

5. Jan 21, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    hondarida122

hondarida122 Active Member

Member:
    Falmouth,MA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    Either go with a set of kickers which I have or the alpine type-r

6. Jan 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Lots of good info here but I guess I'll do a little preaching anyway. :D

Since speakers are what actually make the sound they are (or at least should be ;)) regarded as the most important aspect of any sound quality oriented system. Next comes proper installation since a good speaker installed properly will sound better than a great speaker not installed properly. As someone mentioned, price does not always denote level of sound quality so if you can't hear the difference between a $50.00 set of speakers and a $500.00 set of speakers I envy you since you can save a LOT of money! :p

Almost forgot, it was mentioned to do a search for a specific brand of BBE processors. Of course the manufacturers will tell you how great they are however if you do a search for "BBE psycho acoustic processor" or "BBE distortion generator" you may be a bit surprised to find out that's exactly what they do....generate distortion! :eek: One thing to note is that not all distortion is bad and some people actually find certain types to be "pleasing" which is why they like BBE processors (I personally equate them to "elevator sounding" music).

7. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.
    Nice post Marv, have you checked out the kove processor (AX-1 aphex processor) this is by far surpass BBE. IMO. Everything can be controlled from bass/treble/vocals too. Too bad the manufacture that made them are out of business. Truely a piece of work.

8. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    I like mtx stuff it's fairly cheap, and sounds great.

[​IMG]

9. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    kmok

kmok [OP] Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    I have a sony head unit and sony amp so sony speakers would be a good idea?

10. Jan 21, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    sony car audio stuff, in my experience, seems to be very low quality. If you are looking in that price range, you might want to try pioneer, alpine type s, or low-end clarion. there are way more brands out there, and most of them are better than sony xplod

11. Jan 21, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.

That is not the point he was trying to make. When you go out to listen to speakers to decide what you like (which should take precedent over what anyone here will tell you is a good brand), you should try and match things as close as possible to your setup. So try and find the same HU you have and same amps you have if possible. That way you can get as close to the same variables as you would have in your truck, so that you can get a similar sound.

I don't know of a single brand that I would use for all the parts of my audio setup, either home or in the truck.

12. Jan 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:

The older Sony mobile audio equipment used to be pretty good stuff. The mobile ES line was some solid electronics. But when the powers that be decided to market to the flea market crowd and give their product more emphasis on bright red cones and all, it became style over substance product.

13. Jan 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    word.

i seem to collect all different brands, I could prob build a half dozen mix-n-match setups right now. I've always been in love with clarion's head units. and i'm using a decent clarion amp to power my subs, but clarion's thin subs sound like crap, and I don't care for their speakers or multichannel amps.

14. Jan 21, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I pick what I like. I have a Pioneer HU because I have had good experience with the HUs and like the way they sound and I got it when the price was right. I have Pioneer speakers (I did buy these on Marv's recommendation, without listening first). But I am using an ESX 75.2 amp to power them when I install them. I am running two IDQ v.2 10's powered by 2 Arc Audio amps (forgot the model).

So as you can see, I have a wide range of equipement and no need to match brands.

15. Jan 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    I really like your setup. I was favoring for mtx, but got a steal on my components. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top