Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Does just swapping out the stock speakers make a diff?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
CRFan1 is on a distinguished road
CRFan1's Tacoma Gallery
Does just swapping out the stock speakers make a diff?

If I wanted to leave the stock head unit in and just swap out the stock speakers, is it going to be a noticeable difference? Will the stock head unit be able to power them?

What would you replace the stock speakers with and would you leave the tweeters in?

Just curious if anyone has done this....
Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure you'll hear SOME difference between the stockers and a nice set of aftermarkets...
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
You should hear a difference if you buy quality speakers... but remember crapping upstream ruins the water down stream and the HU is the source of all the sound (or poop in this metaphor). The HU isn't the worst I have ever heard in a car, it certainly can't hold its weight compared to a decent aftermarket unit.

My opinion is changing the HU first will give the most noticeable change and is the best bang for your buck. But, changing the speakers is nice and can really be impressive if down the road you switch out the HU. At that point you should notice the biggest change (with the exception of adding a good subwoofer).
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
CRFan1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner07 View Post
You should hear a difference if you buy quality speakers... but remember crapping upstream ruins the water down stream and the HU is the source of all the sound (or poop in this metaphor). The HU isn't the worst I have ever heard in a car, it certainly can't hold its weight compared to a decent aftermarket unit.

My opinion is changing the HU first will give the most noticeable change and is the best bang for your buck. But, changing the speakers is nice and can really be impressive if down the road you switch out the HU. At that point you should notice the biggest change (with the exception of adding a good subwoofer).
Ok cool...thats what I am looking for. I am probably going to change for a good head unit first. Maybe its me but the treble on the stock unit does not seem to go high enough for my taste. The system is all bottom and mid sounding.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot to address what I would replace them with... that depends on a couple of factors, most important of which is your personal preference. Price point is the other big issue. I would go to audio stores and listen to things. If you want more highs, look for a cross over than you can adjust the level of the tweeter. Most decent component sets have attenuation controls in the crossover for the tweeters.

I have some Pioneers that I haven't gotten around to installing, but we on high reccomendation from Marv. I'll let you know how those work out when I get them in (probably next weekend). Image Dynamics makes some very nice component sets, but they are higher on the price scale. I used to be a big fan of CDT, but I rarely see them around anymore. I also really like Infinity Reference series speakers. Those are just a couple that I have heard and particularly like. YMMV, as your ears are certainly not the same as mine.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
CRFan1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner07 View Post
Forgot to address what I would replace them with... that depends on a couple of factors, most important of which is your personal preference. Price point is the other big issue. I would go to audio stores and listen to things. If you want more highs, look for a cross over than you can adjust the level of the tweeter. Most decent component sets have attenuation controls in the crossover for the tweeters.

I have some Pioneers that I haven't gotten around to installing, but we on high reccomendation from Marv. I'll let you know how those work out when I get them in (probably next weekend). Image Dynamics makes some very nice component sets, but they are higher on the price scale. I used to be a big fan of CDT, but I rarely see them around anymore. I also really like Infinity Reference series speakers. Those are just a couple that I have heard and particularly like. YMMV, as your ears are certainly not the same as mine.

Absolutely good advice and let me know how those sound when you get them in
Old 01-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
m_yota will become famous soon enough

m_yota's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a stereo shop that has demos on different brands of speaker/components...check them out. That will give you an idea of what your dealing with. Be aware some shops have processors behind all their setup, so if you notice something odd you might be right.