Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Install in 2013 anyone done it? Different from 2012??

Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Nathaniel is on a distinguished road
Name: Nate
Nathaniel's Tacoma Gallery
Install in 2013 anyone done it? Different from 2012??

Hello ,

i am new to the forums and tacos , i bought it yesterday and am waiting ever so still for it to come to me, should be in a week
2013 double cab w/ touchscreen audio, 6 speakers i think
anyway,

while i wait i must plan how i am going to mod the vehicle to keep me somewhat sane anyway

anybody do an install on a 2013? are there any differences to note from 2012? Im mainly concerned with speaker size, and mounting them with tacotunes or other mounts. From reading around i think i need 6x9s or 6 1/2
in the front and 6 1/2 in the back, there are 2 more speakers what size are those and where are they? i know on some cars, they put speakers in stupid places that aftermarket community ignore, is that what those are?
Also what is a good dash kit to get? I have used metra in the past, but would it work on the 2013 same as 2012? Are there any that people use over another due to "stock" look or flushness?
Im willing to rip apart the vehicle for it to sound good and plan on removing the stock head unit, speakers, wires, hopefully adding sound dampening at least on the doors first off. If i am the first one on the forum anyway to do this i will try to enlighten everyone the best i can, but im hoping that someone has some infos for me

thank you in advance
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The interior is basically the same as the previous years. Dash kits would be different.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
okay thank you
Old 09-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
alex500martinez is on a distinguished road
Navy: seabee
Name: alex
alex500martinez's Tacoma Gallery
thats funny i just picked up my 2013 yesterday and have been thinking about the same thing, i kinda like the stock look on the lcd screen. at the same time the sound blows, when you find out more can you keep me posted.

thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
I am buying some equipment now, I picked up the taco Friday. few more orders and I will be done. I will do my best to explain/ give tips on what I learned. Mr marv is helping me with some questions and I will be buying speaker adapters from him for now.

Your right Alex the sound is turd sounding at high volumes. There's not much options on the system either. Although I do like the blutooth audio and phone, and the steering controls is nice.
Im sure some poeple who haven't blown their ears off like me would like it. Fortunately I need a loud system because I am part deaf. It is an expensive cycle
Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
alex500martinez is on a distinguished road
Navy: seabee
Name: alex
alex500martinez's Tacoma Gallery
i had an 06 taco trd sport and had the jbl speakers in it with only a small 10" sub with amp and it was perfect for me. i was just wondering if i could hook up the amp to the stock unit.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Paint pig is on a distinguished road
Paint pig's Tacoma Gallery
I too have a 2013, while i am not as dissapointed witht he sound as you guys, adding a sub to get a little more bass would be nice. For me, the stock head unit must stay it was a major selling point to me when I bought the truck. Will adding and amp and a sub and possibly some speakers sound bad witht he stock head unit? Any infromation/pictures on this matter would help. Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Bmxerdude2087 is on a distinguished road
Name: Angus
Bmxerdude2087's Tacoma Gallery
Likewise,

Just bought the 2013 and keeping the stock head unit is imperative.

Ive been looking for alternatives to converting the speaker output to RCA (to plug into an amp) or to using a DSP.

Presumably, the stock head unit has some kind of RCA out (to plug in the JBL amp).

Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
it has been pretty straightforward, i have just followed mr marv's post and the other post on installing headunit, it was all as was written, i have had no surprises so far.

^I dont think there is a JBL amp in the car for me. I have a picture of the rear of the headunit and front of the headunit if your curious about rca

also comparison between 2011 metra kit and 2013 stock dash, you can see that there is a difference in the curve of the units. The bottom is the 2011 top is 2013. I have not installed the 2011 yet so i dont know if it will look funny, but the clock/hazard cluster fits. I will most likely get the scoshe when it comes out, but i needed something to tide me over

Those are 2 alpine swr-t12 low profile subs and a jl hd900/5 amp, i will have more pictures as i go. I am still waiting for my headunit, which will be the last thing to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Install in 2013 anyone done it?  Different from 2012??-dsc03858.jpg   Install in 2013 anyone done it?  Different from 2012??-dsc03868.jpg   Install in 2013 anyone done it?  Different from 2012??-dsc03815.jpg   Install in 2013 anyone done it?  Different from 2012??-dsc03864.jpg  
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel View Post
it has been pretty straightforward, i have just followed mr marv's post and the other post on installing headunit, it was all as was written, i have had no surprises so far.

^I dont think there is a JBL amp in the car for me. I have a picture of the rear of the headunit and front of the headunit if your curious about rca

also comparison between 2011 metra kit and 2013 stock dash, you can see that there is a difference in the curve of the units. The bottom is the 2011 top is 2013. I have not installed the 2011 yet so i dont know if it will look funny, but the clock/hazard cluster fits. I will most likely get the scoshe when it comes out, but i needed something to tide me over

Those are 2 alpine swr-t12 low profile subs and a jl hd900/5 amp, i will have more pictures as i go. I am still waiting for my headunit, which will be the last thing to come.
I dont wanna rain on your parade but, those two 12" type r shallow mounts deserve a little bit more power than the bass channel from the HD900 is going to give them
Old 10-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
^
Yeah you are probably right and I am aware that it will be low, I picked amp for space constraint and it fit most of my other criteria. How much power you think I could use more? Is there an amp that has small footprint for more power? I was wanting to keep it all on back so I wouldn't take up too much space. Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^
Yeah you are probably right and I am aware that it will be low, I picked amp for space constraint and it fit most of my other criteria. How much power you think I could use more? Is there an amp that has small footprint for more power? I was wanting to keep it all on back so I wouldn't take up too much space. Thanks
The JX 1000/1d is a great monoblock amp. Not too pricey, small footprint, and packs a heavy punch. I think 1000 watts for those woofers would be sufficient.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Yeah I would like to do that, I will think about it because it will involvr mounting the amps under the seats, thanks for the recommendation shaneckc
Old 10-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
hudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to behold
Army: Master Gunner Delta Compnay Army National Guard Warrior Training Center
Name: Jonathan
hudsonstrong's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same issue. I want to keep my factory touch in my 2013 but I would like to add some better speakers with a SMALL SMALL amp. Does anyone have any pictures of an install with the touch screen or info..
Old 10-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
i have basically finished the install, although i am waiting for my headunit from pioneer, it will come in the next week or so,

ill get some pictures up soon, it went fairly well, although being tall and working in a car is no fun, and it was raining a lot of this week while i worked, the biggest snag i had was grounding the amplifier. In my other car it had a chasis ground point, which i assumed was normal, so i was spending time sanding and scraping away a seatbelt fricken bolt and it was the wrong place to ground :0 after that it was pretty straightforward with no problems, and it was as in the guides, just follow and youll be fine.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
Paint pig is on a distinguished road
Paint pig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i have basically finished the install, although i am waiting for my headunit from pioneer, it will come in the next week or so,

ill get some pictures up soon, it went fairly well, although being tall and working in a car is no fun, and it was raining a lot of this week while i worked, the biggest snag i had was grounding the amplifier. In my other car it had a chasis ground point, which i assumed was normal, so i was spending time sanding and scraping away a seatbelt fricken bolt and it was the wrong place to ground :0 after that it was pretty straightforward with no problems, and it was as in the guides, just follow and youll be fine.
Do you have it all hooked up to the stock head unit now? how does it sound compared to stock? Any good?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #17
hi paint

no i have not hooked it up to the stock headunit, i am using an older aftermarket deck/direct ipod connection for now. I ran my own speaker wire/rca cables and am running completely off stock.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
something else i noticed is there does not seem to be a universal antenna connector on the back of the headunit, you can see from my posted picture, on the far side of the pic it is only more square plugs.

I dont think the 2012 is like that but anyone that has one can say for sure? I dont know what i will do when i install my aftermarket headunit, i guess just splice the cable in when i find it.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #19
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
something else i noticed is there does not seem to be a universal antenna connector on the back of the headunit, you can see from my posted picture, on the far side of the pic it is only more square plugs.

I dont think the 2012 is like that but anyone that has one can say for sure? I dont know what i will do when i install my aftermarket headunit, i guess just splice the cable in when i find it.
The 2012 has a standard antenna plug at least for the base stereo. I don't know about the Entune Units.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #20
MD bound!
SpE3dF0x is on a distinguished road
Name: Fox
SpE3dF0x's Tacoma Gallery
What were the size of the speakers for the front? I have a 2013 Access Cab, and as well am LQQKING for upgrading the speakers ONLY. I too like the touch screen, nav and all the other goodies. Plus the bluetooth is awesome because the passenger can be Dj.

So whats the size of the front speakers? Thanks!~