1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Install in 2013 anyone done it? Different from 2012??

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Nathaniel, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Sep 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    Nathaniel

Nathaniel [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    New Hampshire
    Hello ,

i am new to the forums and tacos , i bought it yesterday and am waiting ever so still for it to come to me, should be in a week
    2013 double cab w/ touchscreen audio, 6 speakers i think
    anyway,

while i wait i must plan how i am going to mod the vehicle to keep me somewhat sane anyway :)

anybody do an install on a 2013? are there any differences to note from 2012? Im mainly concerned with speaker size, and mounting them with ********* or other mounts. From reading around i think i need 6x9s or 6 1/2
    in the front and 6 1/2 in the back, there are 2 more speakers what size are those and where are they? i know on some cars, they put speakers in stupid places that aftermarket community ignore, is that what those are?
    Also what is a good dash kit to get? I have used metra in the past, but would it work on the 2013 same as 2012? Are there any that people use over another due to "stock" look or flushness?
    Im willing to rip apart the vehicle for it to sound good and plan on removing the stock head unit, speakers, wires, hopefully adding sound dampening at least on the doors first off. If i am the first one on the forum anyway to do this i will try to enlighten everyone the best i can, but im hoping that someone has some infos for me

thank you in advance

2. Sep 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    Nathaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    New Hampshire
    okay thank you

3. Sep 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    alex500martinez

alex500martinez Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    palm desert
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma v6 4x4 trd offroad
    thats funny i just picked up my 2013 yesterday and have been thinking about the same thing, i kinda like the stock look on the lcd screen. at the same time the sound blows, when you find out more can you keep me posted.

thanks

4. Sep 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    Nathaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    New Hampshire
    I am buying some equipment now, I picked up the taco Friday. few more orders and I will be done. I will do my best to explain/ give tips on what I learned. Mr marv is helping me with some questions and I will be buying speaker adapters from him for now.

Your right Alex the sound is turd sounding at high volumes. There's not much options on the system either. Although I do like the blutooth audio and phone, and the steering controls is nice.
    Im sure some poeple who haven't blown their ears off like me would like it. Fortunately I need a loud system because I am part deaf. It is an expensive cycle:)

5. Sep 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    alex500martinez

alex500martinez Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    palm desert
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma v6 4x4 trd offroad
    i had an 06 taco trd sport and had the jbl speakers in it with only a small 10" sub with amp and it was perfect for me. i was just wondering if i could hook up the amp to the stock unit.

6. Oct 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    Paint pig

Paint pig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd off road 4x4, mag grey
    I too have a 2013, while i am not as dissapointed witht he sound as you guys, adding a sub to get a little more bass would be nice. For me, the stock head unit must stay it was a major selling point to me when I bought the truck. Will adding and amp and a sub and possibly some speakers sound bad witht he stock head unit? Any infromation/pictures on this matter would help. Thanks

7. Oct 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    Bmxerdude2087

Bmxerdude2087 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angus
    San Francisco
    Likewise,

Just bought the 2013 and keeping the stock head unit is imperative.

Ive been looking for alternatives to converting the speaker output to RCA (to plug into an amp) or to using a DSP.

Presumably, the stock head unit has some kind of RCA out (to plug in the JBL amp).

Any ideas?

8. Oct 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    Nathaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    New Hampshire
    it has been pretty straightforward, i have just followed mr marv's post and the other post on installing headunit, it was all as was written, i have had no surprises so far.

^I dont think there is a JBL amp in the car for me. I have a picture of the rear of the headunit and front of the headunit if your curious about rca

also comparison between 2011 metra kit and 2013 stock dash, you can see that there is a difference in the curve of the units. The bottom is the 2011 top is 2013. I have not installed the 2011 yet so i dont know if it will look funny, but the clock/hazard cluster fits. I will most likely get the scoshe when it comes out, but i needed something to tide me over

Those are 2 alpine swr-t12 low profile subs and a jl hd900/5 amp, i will have more pictures as i go. I am still waiting for my headunit, which will be the last thing to come.

DSC03858.jpg
    DSC03868.jpg
    DSC03815.jpg
    DSC03864.jpg

9. Oct 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    I dont wanna rain on your parade but, those two 12" type r shallow mounts deserve a little bit more power than the bass channel from the HD900 is going to give them :cool:

10. Oct 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    Nathaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    New Hampshire
    ^
    Yeah you are probably right and I am aware that it will be low, I picked amp for space constraint and it fit most of my other criteria. How much power you think I could use more? Is there an amp that has small footprint for more power? I was wanting to keep it all on back so I wouldn't take up too much space. Thanks

11. Oct 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    The JX 1000/1d is a great monoblock amp. Not too pricey, small footprint, and packs a heavy punch. I think 1000 watts for those woofers would be sufficient.

12. Oct 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    Nathaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    New Hampshire
    Yeah I would like to do that, I will think about it because it will involvr mounting the amps under the seats, thanks for the recommendation shaneckc

13. Oct 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    hudsonstrong

hudsonstrong Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    I have the same issue. I want to keep my factory touch in my 2013 but I would like to add some better speakers with a SMALL SMALL amp. Does anyone have any pictures of an install with the touch screen or info..

14. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    Nathaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    New Hampshire
    i have basically finished the install, although i am waiting for my headunit from pioneer, it will come in the next week or so,

ill get some pictures up soon, it went fairly well, although being tall and working in a car is no fun, and it was raining a lot of this week while i worked, the biggest snag i had was grounding the amplifier. In my other car it had a chasis ground point, which i assumed was normal, so i was spending time sanding and scraping away a seatbelt fricken bolt and it was the wrong place to ground :0 after that it was pretty straightforward with no problems, and it was as in the guides, just follow and youll be fine.

15. Oct 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Paint pig

Paint pig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd off road 4x4, mag grey
    Do you have it all hooked up to the stock head unit now? how does it sound compared to stock? Any good?

16. Oct 10, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    Nathaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    New Hampshire
    hi paint

no i have not hooked it up to the stock headunit, i am using an older aftermarket deck/direct ipod connection for now. I ran my own speaker wire/rca cables and am running completely off stock.

17. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    Nathaniel

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    New Hampshire
    something else i noticed is there does not seem to be a universal antenna connector on the back of the headunit, you can see from my posted picture, on the far side of the pic it is only more square plugs.

I dont think the 2012 is like that but anyone that has one can say for sure? I dont know what i will do when i install my aftermarket headunit, i guess just splice the cable in when i find it.

18. Oct 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    The 2012 has a standard antenna plug at least for the base stereo. I don't know about the Entune Units.

19. Oct 25, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    SpE3dF0x

SpE3dF0x MD bound!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fox
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tacoma Sport
    Nothing its tooo new!
    What were the size of the speakers for the front? I have a 2013 Access Cab, and as well am LQQKING for upgrading the speakers ONLY. I too like the touch screen, nav and all the other goodies. Plus the bluetooth is awesome because the passenger can be Dj. ;)

So whats the size of the front speakers? Thanks!~

20. Oct 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    Space Junk

Space Junk Flight Ready

Member:
    Silicon Valley
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma access Cab TRD Off Road
    I have an access cab too. It seems to me that there is enough room to put a second set of speakers in the plastic panel of the rear doors. I will have to pop the panels and see how much depth there is but I bet one could mount a six inch speaker in them.

To Top