1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing CTX65cs without crossover(anyone try it yet?)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by wiskid1, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Sep 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    wiskid1

wiskid1 [OP] WISKID1

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hayward, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Sport DBL Cab Long Bed Lunar Rock
    I have a '12 Access Cab with stock radio w/o amp. I have the CTX65cs speakers/tweats installed and they seem to have no more power than stock speakers, I know more power will come from an amp, these are a lot clearer and cleaner listening. Was hoping for a little bit more push from them even w/o and amp. The crossovers are hooked up without an amp (which I don't have yet).
    Has anyone tried the CYX65cs without the crossovers?

Before I take apart the door panels again, if anyone can help. Thanks

2. Sep 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    I would not run them without the crossovers. The crossovers make sure the frequency range the speakers are designed to run in are supplied to them.

I don't have any experience with the impedence on factory 12 speakers. Some Toyota speakers from other models and years are actually 2ohm so putting a 4ohm in will have an effect.

What I often tell people is that just changing the speakers out on a factory system is not going to give you any more power. What you will get typically is an increase in range reproduction. So, as you say, it is a lot clearer/cleaner sounding. I think that is what you should expect.

If you want more power then go the decent LOC and amp route you mentioned and wake the components up that way. Run the hu speaker wires to the LOC, RCA out to the amp and then wire the amp speaker wires to the component crossovers and the crossovers out to their respective speakers. Set the gains correctly and you're done.

Cheers

3. Sep 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I'll long story short it for you....

If you run them without a crossover those tweeters will get blown the fuck up. You won't get them warrantied either. It will absolutely be your fault.

Unless you have an active crossover in your system ALWAYS run the supplied crossovers. I can go into further technical detail if y'all want me to.

4. Sep 29, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    wiskid1

wiskid1 [OP] WISKID1

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hayward, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Sport DBL Cab Long Bed Lunar Rock
    Hillingdoner, ItalynStylion,
    Two very good responses. Thanks...I just woke and heading out for an amp. I really need some power output...I feel like I am going deaf with this setup...I mean the volume knob is up all the way and can't feel "POWER". Anyway thanks guys for the tips and advice, it is valuable.
    wiskid1

Products Discussed in

To Top