Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

sub enclosure help

Reply
 
Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
bradicus8 [OP] bradicus8 is offline
Senior Member
bradicus8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brad
Joined: Aug 2012, #84904
Location: Buena park, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 292
bradicus8's Tacoma Gallery
sub enclosure help

ive got everything for my complete audio system in my 2006 DC tacoma EXCEPT for my sub box.. i have 2 jl audio w3 8"s and i want these bad boys to come alive best i can... recommended airspace for each sub is .3, so im looking for something around there maybe .4, certainly not under! but not too much more.. i had the priveledge of talking to mr marv, and unfortuneatly i dont have the money for his beautufil work any help or suggestions appreciated! thanks guys!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
Member
Beach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to behold
 
Beach Taco's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2012, #82870
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 70
Beach Taco's Tacoma Gallery
How much you looking to spend?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
A-TRAC Equipped
speedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Joined: May 2011, #57442
Location: Hickory, Nc
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 464
speedydave's Tacoma Gallery
Why not build your own enclosure? All you need is some MDF and a table saw.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
bradicus8 [OP] bradicus8 is offline
Senior Member
bradicus8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brad
Joined: Aug 2012, #84904
Location: Buena park, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 292
bradicus8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Taco View Post
How much you looking to spend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydave View Post
Why not build your own enclosure? All you need is some MDF and a table saw.


Nothin over 150$... I kno I can find those dual sub boxes for 8"s but they hav about .7 airspace in each chamber which more than double than what the w3's need and if I'm correct, too much air space is also bad?


And I probably could build it with some help of a freind and his saw but I'm not sure I trust my wood shop skills from high school still lol

i meant nothing over 150 for something, UNLESS its custom built
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
bradicus8 [OP] bradicus8 is offline
Senior Member
bradicus8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brad
Joined: Aug 2012, #84904
Location: Buena park, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 292
bradicus8's Tacoma Gallery
how about this box? you guys think i could fit two of these?
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Subwoof...+subwoofer+box
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Member
Karma Coma is on a distinguished road
 
Karma Coma's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2012, #86768
Gender: Male
Posts: 38
Karma Coma's Tacoma Gallery
youll deffenetly want tuned boxes man. jl has them, but not empty. there are sub box calculators on the web, so you can configure you dimensions correctls. if jl want .3 do exactly that, or they will crack pop and distort.

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
bradicus8 [OP] bradicus8 is offline
Senior Member
bradicus8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brad
Joined: Aug 2012, #84904
Location: Buena park, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 292
bradicus8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Coma View Post
youll deffenetly want tuned boxes man. jl has them, but not empty. there are sub box calculators on the web, so you can configure you dimensions correctls. if jl want .3 do exactly that, or they will crack pop and distort.

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

im actually having mr marv build me a custom sealed enclosure to exact specs with an amp rack... i just said fack it, i spent all this time and money on quality products, i need to go all the way and get the perfect box which make or breaks em
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ProForce's Avatar
Name: Anthony
Joined: Oct 2009, #24205
Location: SoCal-Ontario
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,681
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradicus8 View Post
im actually having mr marv build me a custom sealed enclosure to exact specs with an amp rack... i just said fack it, i spent all this time and money on quality products, i need to go all the way and get the perfect box which make or breaks em
Good choice man!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
A-TRAC Equipped
speedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Joined: May 2011, #57442
Location: Hickory, Nc
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 464
speedydave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Coma View Post
youll deffenetly want tuned boxes man. jl has them, but not empty. there are sub box calculators on the web, so you can configure you dimensions correctls. if jl want .3 do exactly that, or they will crack pop and distort.

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
That's not totally true.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ProForce's Avatar
Name: Anthony
Joined: Oct 2009, #24205
Location: SoCal-Ontario
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,681
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydave View Post
That's not totally true.
Exactly! This isn't the first thread with very misleading info from him though
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
brian's Avatar
Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
Joined: Apr 2009, #16011
Location: Roseville, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 7,556
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Exactly! This isn't the first thread with very misleading info from him though
Yeah, not too happy with his input here. Karma, slow down buddy, you still have alot to learn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #12
Member
Karma Coma is on a distinguished road
 
Karma Coma's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2012, #86768
Gender: Male
Posts: 38
Karma Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been installing car audio for years. done hundreds of them, check out the install i did on my taco two weeks ago.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ProForce's Avatar
Name: Anthony
Joined: Oct 2009, #24205
Location: SoCal-Ontario
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,681
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Coma View Post
Ive been installing car audio for years. done hundreds of them, check out the install i did on my taco two weeks ago.
I responded to you in a civil manner in the other thread. Read that, then hopefully you will understand where I'm coming from.

In regards to this however, I have a serious question. Don't take this as me bashing you, I'm really honestly asking...

When you say installing for years, do you mean you know how to build boxes and install amps and have been installing systems for yourself and friends for years, or do you mean you have worked at a legit shop, taken classes, maybe mecp certified, can tell me ohms law (without googling it and copy paste ) and also can tell me off the top of your head things such as which brands have exaggerated RMS/MAX power ratings and which are true.

I'm not quizing you or anything, but just making a point there is a difference between a Do-it-yourselfer and a true knowledgeable experienced installer. Asking you honestly how in depth your knowledge field is
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
Member
Karma Coma is on a distinguished road
 
Karma Coma's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2012, #86768
Gender: Male
Posts: 38
Karma Coma's Tacoma Gallery
ok honestly, never worked in a shop. yes I do know ohms law. took a course in electronics about 8 years ago. have several friends that own shops. they sold primarily Memphis, and alpine, due to the buy in cost of other high end equip. Im partial to jl audio. I also have been a professional blues and jazz musician for 7 years,(Broadway dinner theater) I can explain the meaning of high fidelity, and the difference between A,B,C,and D class amps, and digital vs analog efficiency. Another friend of mine that was the recording engineer for linkin park,pearl jam, justin timber lake, Madonna....so on ect..has also taught me alot....I personally have recorded through the same mics and pre-amps that wer used to film the last star wars movies. and according to the ear N T specialist, my ears are about 20% more sensitive than whats average. but still,everything I said was opinion. but it is a fact of Physics, which I also follow...that If you want to create high SPL low frequency output you have to move large quantities of air.(the bigger the speaker the lower the frequency) and if you want high fidelity in doing so, jl subs are the best in my opinion. and jl subs do best in accurately tuned boxes. and ported boxes do not synthetically increase the sound of your subs and make them appear to be louder and more powerful than they really are.In a ported enclosure, there is a relationship between the volume of air in the box, the resonance of the port, and the capacitys of the speaker being used. When these three things are correctly integrated, the rear output of the speaker is delayed just enough so that when it comes out of the port, it is in relative phase with the wave being producd by the front of the speaker. The result is more accurat and higher spl output from the port l, tuned to a desired frequency range. as far as components go, in my opinion, JL c-3, 6-1/2(Entry level I think) and Kenwood excelon 6 1/2 sound beter than Focal, Hertz, and the 1000$ ZR650 from JL.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #15
Member
Karma Coma is on a distinguished road
 
Karma Coma's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2012, #86768
Gender: Male
Posts: 38
Karma Coma's Tacoma Gallery
didnt get the whole project, but heres part of it. and one of another I did for years ago on a new stratus
Attached Thumbnails
sub enclosure help-2012-09-20-09.45.28.jpg   sub enclosure help-2012-09-20-10.13.02.jpg   sub enclosure help-dscn0012.jpg  
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
brian's Avatar
Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
Joined: Apr 2009, #16011
Location: Roseville, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 7,556
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Coma View Post
ok honestly, never worked in a shop. yes I do know ohms law. took a course in electronics about 8 years ago. have several friends that own shops. they sold primarily Memphis, and alpine, due to the buy in cost of other high end equip. Im partial to jl audio. I also have been a professional blues and jazz musician for 7 years,(Broadway dinner theater) I can explain the meaning of high fidelity, and the difference between A,B,C,and D class amps, and digital vs analog efficiency. Another friend of mine that was the recording engineer for linkin park,pearl jam, justin timber lake, Madonna....so on ect..has also taught me alot....I personally have recorded through the same mics and pre-amps that wer used to film the last star wars movies. and according to the ear N T specialist, my ears are about 20% more sensitive than whats average. but still,everything I said was opinion. but it is a fact of Physics, which I also follow...that If you want to create high SPL low frequency output you have to move large quantities of air.(the bigger the speaker the lower the frequency) and if you want high fidelity in doing so, jl subs are the best in my opinion. and jl subs do best in accurately tuned boxes. and ported boxes do not synthetically increase the sound of your subs and make them appear to be louder and more powerful than they really are.In a ported enclosure, there is a relationship between the volume of air in the box, the resonance of the port, and the capacitys of the speaker being used. When these three things are correctly integrated, the rear output of the speaker is delayed just enough so that when it comes out of the port, it is in relative phase with the wave being producd by the front of the speaker. The result is more accurat and higher spl output from the port l, tuned to a desired frequency range. as far as components go, in my opinion, JL c-3, 6-1/2(Entry level I think) and Kenwood excelon 6 1/2 sound beter than Focal, Hertz, and the 1000$ ZR650 from JL.
Alright heres my take, we're all adults here and I feel we can keep it that way right? We can argue all day about whats better and whats junk, while I don't agree, its irrelevant to me. You need to remember one thing though, this website is probably the single most popular web resource for Tacomas. What you say on here will be engrained in the hard drives to stay, and when others come along with similar problems and google "how to hook up an amp", they will find a post from you saying they should use a 50 amp fuse. Now keep in mind they have no clue about wiring, or stereos. They have, lets say, a 250 watt amp. 250 watt amps require 20-30 amp fuse protection. Said member wires up a 50 amp fuse, accidentally strips his wire too far and creates a mild short, not quite enough to blow a fuse. It heats up the wire and creates a fire. Now he's driving down the freeway on fire, scrambling to get off, thus making this an even more serious issue. Now this person didn't just take the advice from you, he took advice from TacomaWorld.com In his anger, he does everything he can to defame and discredit TW. It can go even farther than this.

My number one concern is safety... above all. You gave advice on how to wire someones setup without knowing anything about it, no size, no power requirements, and I hope to god he didn't listen to you. If you know as much about electronics as you say you do, then you know exactly what I'm talking about and there is no arguement here. Use your head when you post something and safety needs to be #1 in your book. There are plenty of 'less educated' people who don't know jack about electricity but love DIY projects to save money. We are talking large amounts of current in car stereos, people can easily get hurt.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ProForce's Avatar
Name: Anthony
Joined: Oct 2009, #24205
Location: SoCal-Ontario
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,681
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Alright heres my take, we're all adults here and I feel we can keep it that way right? We can argue all day about whats better and whats junk, while I don't agree, its irrelevant to me. You need to remember one thing though, this website is probably the single most popular web resource for Tacomas. What you say on here will be engrained in the hard drives to stay, and when others come along with similar problems and google "how to hook up an amp", they will find a post from you saying they should use a 50 amp fuse. Now keep in mind they have no clue about wiring, or stereos. They have, lets say, a 250 watt amp. 250 watt amps require 20-30 amp fuse protection. Said member wires up a 50 amp fuse, accidentally strips his wire too far and creates a mild short, not quite enough to blow a fuse. It heats up the wire and creates a fire. Now he's driving down the freeway on fire, scrambling to get off, thus making this an even more serious issue. Now this person didn't just take the advice from you, he took advice from TacomaWorld.com In his anger, he does everything he can to defame and discredit TW. It can go even farther than this.

My number one concern is safety... above all. You gave advice on how to wire someones setup without knowing anything about it, no size, no power requirements, and I hope to god he didn't listen to you. If you know as much about electronics as you say you do, then you know exactly what I'm talking about and there is no arguement here. Use your head when you post something and safety needs to be #1 in your book. There are plenty of 'less educated' people who don't know jack about electricity but love DIY projects to save money. We are talking large amounts of current in car stereos, people can easily get hurt.
Well said. Agreed
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
Member
Karma Coma is on a distinguished road
 
Karma Coma's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2012, #86768
Gender: Male
Posts: 38
Karma Coma's Tacoma Gallery
10_4 man. My short sight for not seeing that.you're right.don't ever wasn't some one to get hurt on my account
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #20
Senior Member
RDtres is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2012, #79224
Location: Albuquerque
Gender: Male
Posts: 161
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Great entertainment for a Tuesday evening read. This has turned out to be some pissing contest
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Products Discussed in this Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8" JL W3 Sub enclosure or which10" Sub enclosure? AMSFLVA Audio & Video 2 10-01-2012 06:19 AM
Enclosure help! goatman Audio & Video 2 04-07-2012 09:49 AM
Anyone have any experience with this sub enclosure? JoshLV Audio & Video 1 01-21-2011 02:58 PM
Tacotunes Sub enclosure raswank Audio & Video 6 11-27-2010 06:40 PM
13tw5 enclosure sctrd09 Audio & Video 6 05-18-2009 06:25 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.