1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on adding an amp to exhisting stock HU...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Zonktified, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Oct 2, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    Zonktified

Zonktified [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    A quick question for you audiophiles out there...

I have the JBL sound system with navi in my 2012 Taco Sport. The stock HU stereo system is pretty good for my needs, but I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 45 amp that I've had sitting around for a while and thought about putting it into the truck for an extra boost for the occational Satriani or Phish jam. I've also thought about replacing/supplementing the 6x9 "speaker" behind the back seats with a legitimate low profile sub box..proabably a 10"..possibly 2.

Am I safe to "assume" that the stock JBL speakers are sufficient? And is it even worth the trouble to add the amp? Upgrade/Ideas/Suggestions?

2. Oct 2, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    If it were me, I'd replace the speakers with good aftermarket. They will not give you more "power", but, depending on speakers purchased, you should get more frequency range out of them. In other words, better sound. They may also have better power handling if adding external amps.

Not to say you can't run the Punch 45 to your speakers and have them work okay, but not sure you'd get what you are desiring by doing so. I'll preface the next bit by saying that I do not know exactly what ohm the factory JBL's are in your year system. I do know however, that many earlier JBL systems used speakers that were 2 ohm. If you do try to wire in the Punch 45 to them, then pays to double check what they are and compare that to what load the amp is stable.

Products Discussed in

To Top