1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How will these do on the low end?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bradicus8, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Oct 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    bradicus8

bradicus8 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement Trd sport DCSB
    icon kit 33's ovtune pro grille JL audio subs with custom box
    I'm going to be putting 2 JL 8w3v3-4 behind the seats of my DC 2006 and they will be sitting in a custom enclosure made by mr marv... I have seen all the reviews and heard the praise but one of my concerns is that they wont b good on bass for dubstep rap and r&b since that's what's I listen too all the time... I do like my music decently loud and I will have a digital 2500w amp goin to them... I'm not going for the big boom, I just would like to know if these can hit the bass pretty decent and get loud enough and keep up with the bass from dubstep cleanly and decently loud... Never had JL audio before so I would like to kno what y'all think for my particular situation

2. Oct 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    Highspeed

Highspeed Well-Known Member

Member:
    +42° 52' 21.69", -124° 32' 8.50"
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road
    A.R.E. cap
    I'm sure this is a great woofer and I'm sure they would sound great but I don't think a pair of 8's is going to meet your needs based on your needs.
    Mr. Marv can fit a pair of nice 10's that are much more likely to meet your needs.
    Just my $0.02.

3. Oct 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    bradicus8

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    ya i was gonna go with the 10w3v3's but you cant fit those without doing any modifications to the truck itself or some kind of cutting which i wont do... mr marv said he swears by JL and especially these 8's and said they have a good amount of excursion which is good, i would like to think that they will be ok, but then again i totally get what ur sayin, i've never had 8's.. always 10's.. also never had JL audio too

4. Oct 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM
    Highspeed

Highspeed Well-Known Member

Member:
    +42° 52' 21.69", -124° 32' 8.50"
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road
    A.R.E. cap
    Mr. Marv knows best. He has tons of experience with the Tacoma so if he thinks the dual 8's will work give them a try.
    I'm going to try the Hybrid Audio 10" woofers in my double cab. It will be a while until the system is installed but I'll report on their performance for sure. I have high expectations...

5. Oct 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM
    Karma Coma

Karma Coma Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5.3.4 v-6
    six inch fabtech lift, 315-75-16 tires,
    for rap and r&b youl never be happy with less than a 12. Ive been running 12w3v4's for years. ported is what you would want. Ive always had JL everything.....C3's fron and back. I recently put my w3's into 1.20 sealed boxes to save on space. lost a bit of spl from what the vented box did, but still verry nice.....its JL....got the HD900 powering everything. I also put in 50 sq feet of 80 ml fat mat, keeps the sound in, road noise out. 8's will never push the lower hz's your looking for. 10's are nice, in the right vehicle(tacoma aint it). I think you would be happy with one 12 or 13 w6 down fireing in a vented box. but that WILL have to be a custom box, and they have to tune it right. JL speakers preform outstanding, when they are in a good box. actualy, they have shallow mounts now..http://www.jlaudio.ca/13tw5-3-car-audio-tw5-subwoofer-drivers-92181... I head these and they were just as good as my w3v4's. the big thing is the box man, vented and tuned. with a nice fit....good luck

6. Oct 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    bradicus8

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    definitely agree with all that man, only reason im going 8"s is bc of the space and the fact that i wont cut anything on the truck... also i've had kicker my whole life, my last system was 2 kicker comp 10s in a sealed and i was lovin the power but it would distort sometimes, the bass those put out on the low end sounded great for drops in dub songs... and i kno quality wise JL will outdo kicker any day... pretty much to sum up what i would want to know, is can these 2 8's in a custom sealed enclosure with a digital mono amp pushing them at full rms be almost as good, as good, or better than those kicker comps i had? ive seen the excursion on these things and they jump A LOT

7. Oct 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM
    bradicus8

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    he seemed to think that based on what i had before, given ALSO that the acoustics in my mustang compared to my tacoma were worse for bass response, that in the right enclosure, and right clean power that i have, that these will sound better than those 10" kickers... anything upgraded from my last system, will suffice for me

8. Oct 5, 2012 at 3:22 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I disagree 100%. I have installed hundreds of different subs and amps in anything from a motorcycle, to honda civic, to a boat, to a Lamborghini, and one thing I can tell you for sure, is that size is not always better. Some people like 12's, others like 10's, but it is important to remember that what they deliver can vary highly between brands, models, vehicle, enclosure, music, and much more. Those two 8w3's will hit way harder, tighter, and cleaner than a 10'' or 12" Kicker Comp all day long. I used to personally run two 10w3's in a ported box (different vehicle) and they hit so dam hard that it hurt to be in the car, literally. The size of your woofer matters tremendously, but to make the statement that he will not be happy with anything less than a 12'' for hip-hop and dubstep is beyond irrational and uneducated. If your going to make recommendations here, you need to consider all the facts first. If 10w3's dont fit in the truck without modding the seat brackets, how in the world will he fit a 12" or 13" w6 :confused: and to top it off, in a ported enclosure! This is not Pimp my Ride where we take our back seats out and convert half our usable space into a competition system and go for major SPL.

To add to this, ported is also not always best. If you use a ported box, it is to synthetically increase the sound of your subs and make them appear to be louder and more powerful than they really are. In certain applications, such as in trunks, certain music, when going for SPL, etc, then sure ported boxes are great. But the bottom line is that ported enclosures degrade sound quality. If you cant make your subs sound the way you want in a sealed enclosure, then get different subs. Although this was not mentioned, band-pass boxes are even worse. A fully sealed enclosure built to the correct air space specs will deliver better sound than any other enclosure, period. If you know what your doing and install it correctly, its the best way to go when considering sound quality as a top priority.

Please refrain from spreading inaccurate information in threads based on your personal and highly uneducated opinion.

I dont know who Mr. Marv is, but I have heard about him a lot. I can tell you from your above quote though that he seems like a very wise and educated man in regards to mobile audio... unlike some other people on here. You will be more than happy with two 8w3's back there in a custom sealed enclosure. Will kick way better than those kicker comps. The offer is still on the table if you would like to hear my system. I run two 10w1's in an undersized sealed enclosure. This means that your 8's may be smaller and less powerful, but with a more accurate cubic foot box, and given they are 3's instead of 1's, I think they will be pretty comparable to what I have. Cant say for sure if they will be slightly better, slightly worse, or just about the same because I don't have a whole ton of experience with 8's, but anything in JL's W3 lineup will satisfy you. I am actually really anxious to see how this turns out, because I am getting the feeling they may actually sound a little better than mine. Hope it turns out well. Also, let me know if you still need that hook-up.

9. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    dylan199

dylan199 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would have gone with the Sundown 8". They kill just about every 8" out right now.

edit: nvm, i forgot the mounting depth is too deep.

10. Oct 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Wrong. and especially in his case. 12's lack the reponse time that you get out of a 10 or an 8. I used to run an almost identical setup as you Karma.... its fine for most everyday music, but speed the beat up a bit and your bass will be out of sync quickly. Turn the volume up more and it will be even more out of sync. Add his taste in music, dubstep for example, and he will be a very unhappy camper as it will begin to sound like shit very quick. Now don't get me wrong, your suggestion WILL pound, and it will be very loud, (I love the W3's), but drum and bass music is not where they shine.

Op, those 8's will definintely do the job, but I'm gonna guess you won't like them, particularly because 8's will not reproduce low bass very well. The best bet in our trucks is 10's unless you plan on doing something crazy like walling off the back. I've been through MANY stereos, and I beleive I have pretty close to my pinnacle setup right now, and you'd probably be surprised to know I only have 1 10' sub. I listen to dubstep as well, and every once in awhile I wish I had 2 10's for the dubz. It may still happen someday, BUT, the bass is precise and extremely clean. I have a single 10 box built the famous TW Idol, Mr. Marv :D and most people would not believe I'm only running a single ten from listening to it. He does a great job building for us.

Op, JL has been going downhill these days, but I don't think they've shyed away from the spirit of the W3... it has always been their work horse. Give your 8's a shot, train your ear to listen to good quality sound and not care so much about your neighbors hearing you from a mile away. If you don't like em, look for a good shallow mount 10.

11. Oct 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    bradicus8

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    im not gonna down play it here, but as far as the 12" goes, one of my best buds had a monster 12" from pioneer in a sealed box, i think it was champion series? im probably wrong, BUT, i was amazed at the bass from just that pioneer, but like brian said, when i would play drum and bass, or a song would speed up (for example the build up in any electro song) thats where it flawed.. couldnt keep up... karma u did confuse me a lil bit and didnt sound accurate when u said i'll never be happy with anything less than a 12".. there are SO many different aspects that u have to account for besides the size.. me personally i've read all the reviews and heard these 8w3's and in a lot of circumstances many people say that one of these 8's sound like a 10", and i would have to agree with them.. JL i think really did a great job with these... i figured since 1: i dont not want to do any cutting or mods to my seats 2: im going to for good SQ with this system 3: these are arguably the best 8" subs on the market that fit! and 4: these things suprisingly enough bump harder than most 10's..... this would be a perfect balance accumulating all of my needs... now, let me make it clear, 2 quality 10" will move more air making it easier to hit the lows, however i also wanted to try a different approach than most people with this set up meaning; i want people to get in my truck and go holy shit that sounds great and when i tell em its 'only' 2 8"s that they'll shit their pants... i feel like with all these things combined and in my particular situation, this system will be a very nice one, and with my 2 digital amps pushing them clean raw power, it dont get much better

12. Oct 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    bradicus8

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:

i totally agree, for dubstep 99.99% of the time people are gonna say something less than a 10" wont satisfy... and im almost gonna agree 100% however given my particular situation, going from those kicker comps. in the trunk of my old '67 mustang with one class D amp power them and all my speakers, too: these 2 w3's in a perfectly dimented custom sealed in the cab of my truck with me with their own digital amp pushing them.. i just cant see how they wont perform much better... if im basing my point on that, i would say that these 8's will out perform the 2 10's... probably not going as low, BUT they will get pretty damn close and most importantly sound sooo much cleaner and be more than loud enough

13. Oct 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    bradicus8

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I dont know who Mr. Marv is, but I have heard about him a lot. I can tell you from your above quote though that he seems like a very wise and educated man in regards to mobile audio... unlike some other people on here. You will be more than happy with two 8w3's back there in a custom sealed enclosure. Will kick way better than those kicker comps. The offer is still on the table if you would like to hear my system. I run two 10w1's in an undersized sealed enclosure. This means that your 8's may be smaller and less powerful, but with a more accurate cubic foot box, and given they are 3's instead of 1's, I think they will be pretty comparable to what I have. Cant say for sure if they will be slightly better, slightly worse, or just about the same because I don't have a whole ton of experience with 8's, but anything in JL's W3 lineup will satisfy you. I am actually really anxious to see how this turns out, because I am getting the feeling they may actually sound a little better than mine. Hope it turns out well. Also, let me know if you still need that hook-up.[/QUOTE]

as regards to the 10 w1's, this was my original plan, to put 2 of those back there... however i kept looking around, reading reviews, and educating myself on JL, Alpine, Kicker, Pioneer, and RF.. i came to the decision of JL audio and decided to go a lil different direction in my car audio... i made the decision of going with the w3's myself based on the great reviews these had.. the w1's were good, but not great IMO, most people agreed that the best your going to get from JL subs is their w3 series and up... when i talked to mr marv, who also used to do competition systems said these subs are great, and for good powerful clean bass, he wouldnt go lower than the w3 series, he has had experience with both and said the w1's are good but just OK, the w3's is where JL quality and diversity really start to shine.. that word diversity really caught my attention and i asked him what he meant.. he said that for 8's these things put out a SUPRISING amount of bass on the low end... he did say a good quality 10 will obviously put out more lows and easier, but he said i would be suprised with these... and the fact that he told me a story of a competition he entered with a 8w7 and it BLEW people away, that completely sold me on the basis that you should never be too skeptical about what some quality 8's can do... im hoping my final product will prove itself true!
    also to hear your system, im off all day so if u wanna meet up im down!

14. Oct 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    i Think it is going to be quite impressive. I agree totally with the W3 and up. I had two 10w3's before and they delivered atleast 5x the amount of bass that my two 10w1's put out, it they were WAY cleaner and tighter. Best dam subs I ever heard (for a non-competition system). No doubt in my mind that your 8w3s will impress. I love my stealthbox, and it does exactly what I need it to do, but I wish it was more. I am considering an entire system revamp. Going to attemp to stuff two 10w3's back there, replace my Focal Polyglass series with K2 series speakers, possibly to a 3-way setup up front and 2-way in the back, add an Alpine PXA-H800 sound processor, change out my amps for newer, smaller, digital amps, add a second 4 channel so I can bi-amp all my components and get rid of the crossovers, and have it tuned with an RTA. It will cost about $2500-3000 for this, but I can sell my stuff for atleast $1500. So I figure Ill save up about $1500 out of pocket and see where that takes me. Pretty much making my truck sound like everything you listen to is live. It will make me cry at the sound quality it produces lol. Itll be beyond beautiful. But its all just a thought right now

15. Oct 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I run an 12 alpine shallow mount in my 2011 DC> Seats fold up and down, plastics can be left on, and ALL I listen to is dubstep.

Sub works great an a .60ft sealed box with an Alpine PDX-M6 pushing it. Ported would be a bit better for dubstep. Still, a good box will give you good results.

JL is good stuff but over priced.. If you can find a deal on it, JL's are great. But most people have to pay retail for them and I'm sorry, JL's are not worth what they charge for it. I'd rather have Sundown subs over JL any day of the week. Just my opinion.

Edit: I've heard a Honda accord who had 6 Sound Down DS-2 8's in a sealed box and they hit HARD! I've even heard 6.5 inch subs in 4th order boxes that hit like 12's. It's all about the box.

16. Oct 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    You won't be disappoint OP. Don't expect to flex your roof or doors but those 8's will make a rear view mirror worthless.

17. Oct 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    thats 2 people now that mentioned "Sundown." Weird cause ive never even heard of them before. Looked em up just now... their entry level sub requires 400w RMS at 3.8ohms :rolleyes: Ive never heard them so I wont bash, but it seems as though this is more of a competition sub built with SPL on the front of the mind. Reminds me of Kicker, way over engineered and extremely power hungry. No doubt they hit like a MF! but I hate power hungry systems. Low wattage systems seem to produce better SQ IMO, and unless you require or desire high amounts of SPL, then SQ is more important. Just my .02 though. Not bashing the brand. Just my first impressions

18. Oct 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I recently heard about them, I'd say a year ago. They are SPL subs, not SQ subs. For the price they are great subs and if you want bass, they are made just for that. I would of got sundown but I didn't get a chance to hear the 12 shallow before I bought the Type-R.. I've been thinking about selling my Type-R for a sundown, or two :)

Check them out Proforce if you can, for an SPL sub you will be impressed. For an SQ sub, not so much.

19. Oct 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Thats exactly it though, I am a die hard SQ fan. I think systems for SPL are just a waste and seem"cheap" to me although they are actually usually really expensive haha. Like I said, they look like they can HIT! But just not my cup of tea by any means. Id like to hear them though

20. Oct 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    1badasstaco

1badasstaco Y>O>L>O so BUY a TACOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Brody
    victoria texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 taco 4x4 4.0
    17 inch black rhino sidewinders with 265/70/17 KM2. straight pipe exhaust and K&N cold air intake.Toytec coilovers
    i ran 2 w7 8's and love dthem but decided sell cause needed the money for other mods.

Products Discussed in

To Top