1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Updating Garmin maps

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by LonghornTaco, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Jan 19, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Anyone know how to do this? I have the Kenwood 8120 and have the TOPO 2008 maps on DVD. But I can't update via the DVD and don't have (and can't find) a plain USB to USB cable to connect my laptop.

Can I just copy the map data directory from my computer onto an SD card and insert it into the unit?

2. Jan 19, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My husband and I looked into this a while back and I can't totally remember the outcome, but I believe you have to pay for the updated maps. Something to do with the unit you have & programming ?? (not sure)

Give Garmin a call and see what they say...I'd be interested to know if all that has changed or not?

Or search google, maybe there's someone out there that's figured out a way to do it? That'd be nice...

3. Jan 19, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    EGtaco

EGtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    You should be able to download it to your SD card and load it from there. I have not done it but a buddy of mine said that is how he uploads new maps from Garmins website

4. Jan 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    It's about $75 for the map update unless you are under warranty.
    I believe the USB cable would be mandatory, you can get one at Wal-Mart/Best Buy/etc. for $12-$20 I'd guess. Sorry you don't live closer, I have these all over the house.

5. Jan 19, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Thanks. The directory for that map is something like 3.2GB, so I'll have to get a bigger SD card. But I'll let you know how it goes...

6. Jan 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I went to Walmart, Target and Best Buy... But I need a male USB A connector on both ends.
    [​IMG]

I can't seem to find anything other than a USB extension cable or a USB to <insert device specific plug here>. I can't believe these are so damned hard to find! I bought some "vista transfer" cable that had the right connections, but apparently there is some intermediary hardware/embeded software that makes it only use the "TRansfer Files Wizard" or something stupid like that. It was $30+ so I'm taking it back this evening. I'll exchange it for a 4GB USB card and see what happens...

7. Jan 19, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner
    i just updated my zumo sat night.

you need your product id code, and as stated a usb cable.

the software updated the zumo pretty quickly, but took almost an hour to install on my laptop. the install warns of a long install.

cadman

8. Jan 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Aren't you a Softy?? (SE?) -- Figured your work would have stuff like that... :D

9. Jan 19, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Yes I am, but I'm still fairly new to this company and it's a large one. So it's a little harder for me to go raid the cookie jar... :) But, personally, I don't have any.

10. Jan 19, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    alrighty... lol :D

figured I'd point it out... :laugh:

11. Jan 20, 2009 at 11:12 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Finally got them loaded via USB cable. Ironically, I didn't need that USB cable I was trying so hard to find (and finally did for $20). I just needed a normal USB to mini-USB cable (like for digital cameras), however, I had to pull out the unit to plug it into the back and route it to the center console.

So, now I have the normal base map and topographical maps... :) Man, I love this unit!

3f098a65_3fba201994c5f7685d20fd28164972da6e9bd28c.jpg
    d505454b_344e260005b04b652e1051f7f35366618279aaab.jpg
    c69ad87a_120381f9e96550ac272b14118772d86837536787.jpg

12. Nov 6, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    DaveSmith

DaveSmith Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Longhorn Taco, nice setup.

1. You can use Garmin street maps and topo maps on your Kenwood? How do you switch between the two? I've been to two local dealers and so far no one can give me a straight answer as to whether both sets of maps can be stored in the hard drive at the same time and then actually used. One guy told me he had to spend over an hr switching and transferring from street maps to topo maps. Not cool.

2. Are you going to leave the USP cable plugged into the back of your dash unit and have the free end accessible for future upgrades and downloads? Is this something that I should have the local installers do to avoid having to pull the head unit every time I want to update and download?

From what I gather the average Kenwood/Garmin GPS purchaser isn't switching from street maps to top maps. Something that I imagine most Tacoma 4x4 drivers will want to do via push of button.

Thanks for the info.

13. Nov 6, 2009 at 9:27 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    1. Yes, you can have both on the hard drive at once, sort of. You can't have topo of the entire country - not enough room. So, I uploaded topo of portions of Minnesota and Texas. Also, you can't have both running at the same time. If you have the topo maps loaded, you likely won't be able to navigate anywhere because it simply doesn't have all the roads defined like the street maps. I loaded them up, but honestly, have only used it once and mostly for novelty. It's not hard switching between the two, but it's not just a push of the button... :)

2. Yes, I left the USB cable connected. I haven't used it since loading the maps initially, but the loose end is just under the cup holders. Pretty easy access.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Products Discussed in

To Top