Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Updating Garmin maps

Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
My husband and I looked into this a while back and I can't totally remember the outcome, but I believe you have to pay for the updated maps. Something to do with the unit you have & programming ?? (not sure)

Give Garmin a call and see what they say...I'd be interested to know if all that has changed or not?

Or search google, maybe there's someone out there that's figured out a way to do it? That'd be nice...
Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
EGtaco is on a distinguished road
EGtaco's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to download it to your SD card and load it from there. I have not done it but a buddy of mine said that is how he uploads new maps from Garmins website
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
It's about $75 for the map update unless you are under warranty.
I believe the USB cable would be mandatory, you can get one at Wal-Mart/Best Buy/etc. for $12-$20 I'd guess. Sorry you don't live closer, I have these all over the house.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
It's about $75 for the map update unless you are under warranty.
I believe the USB cable would be mandatory, you can get one at Wal-Mart/Best Buy/etc. for $12-$20 I'd guess. Sorry you don't live closer, I have these all over the house.
I went to Walmart, Target and Best Buy... But I need a male USB A connector on both ends.

I can't seem to find anything other than a USB extension cable or a USB to <insert device specific plug here>. I can't believe these are so damned hard to find! I bought some "vista transfer" cable that had the right connections, but apparently there is some intermediary hardware/embeded software that makes it only use the "TRansfer Files Wizard" or something stupid like that. It was $30+ so I'm taking it back this evening. I'll exchange it for a 4GB USB card and see what happens...
Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
cadman is just really nicecadman is just really nicecadman is just really nicecadman is just really nice

cadman's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to cadman
i just updated my zumo sat night.

you need your product id code, and as stated a usb cable.

the software updated the zumo pretty quickly, but took almost an hour to install on my laptop. the install warns of a long install.

cadman
Old 01-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
I went to Walmart, Target and Best Buy... But I need a male USB A connector on both ends.

I can't seem to find anything other than a USB extension cable or a USB to <insert device specific plug here>. I can't believe these are so damned hard to find! I bought some "vista transfer" cable that had the right connections, but apparently there is some intermediary hardware/embeded software that makes it only use the "TRansfer Files Wizard" or something stupid like that. It was $30+ so I'm taking it back this evening. I'll exchange it for a 4GB USB card and see what happens...
Aren't you a Softy?? (SE?) -- Figured your work would have stuff like that...
Old 01-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
Yes I am, but I'm still fairly new to this company and it's a large one. So it's a little harder for me to go raid the cookie jar... But, personally, I don't have any.
alrighty... lol

figured I'd point it out...
Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 AM   #11
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Finally got them loaded via USB cable. Ironically, I didn't need that USB cable I was trying so hard to find (and finally did for $20). I just needed a normal USB to mini-USB cable (like for digital cameras), however, I had to pull out the unit to plug it into the back and route it to the center console.

So, now I have the normal base map and topographical maps... Man, I love this unit!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
DaveSmith has a spectacular aura aboutDaveSmith has a spectacular aura aboutDaveSmith has a spectacular aura about
Army: Navy / Army
Name: Dave
DaveSmith's Tacoma Gallery
Longhorn Taco, nice setup.

1. You can use Garmin street maps and topo maps on your Kenwood? How do you switch between the two? I've been to two local dealers and so far no one can give me a straight answer as to whether both sets of maps can be stored in the hard drive at the same time and then actually used. One guy told me he had to spend over an hr switching and transferring from street maps to topo maps. Not cool.

2. Are you going to leave the USP cable plugged into the back of your dash unit and have the free end accessible for future upgrades and downloads? Is this something that I should have the local installers do to avoid having to pull the head unit every time I want to update and download?

From what I gather the average Kenwood/Garmin GPS purchaser isn't switching from street maps to top maps. Something that I imagine most Tacoma 4x4 drivers will want to do via push of button.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #13

1. Yes, you can have both on the hard drive at once, sort of. You can't have topo of the entire country - not enough room. So, I uploaded topo of portions of Minnesota and Texas. Also, you can't have both running at the same time. If you have the topo maps loaded, you likely won't be able to navigate anywhere because it simply doesn't have all the roads defined like the street maps. I loaded them up, but honestly, have only used it once and mostly for novelty. It's not hard switching between the two, but it's not just a push of the button...

2. Yes, I left the USB cable connected. I haven't used it since loading the maps initially, but the loose end is just under the cup holders. Pretty easy access.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have anymore questions.