1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New guy here could use some tips

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Leonel, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Oct 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    Leonel

Leonel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DCSB TRDOR/6MT
    TC,Ext Kings,U402's,4:88's.Elocker rear,ARB front,etc..
    Hi guys, I'm new to this Tacoma Forum(but not to Toyota 4x4's , moved from Pirate4x4) and I'm going to attempt to install ins a 80PRS single DIN in my four weeks old 2012 Tacoma myself because I'm not happy with the job the supposedly pro shop did installing the my amp and speakers, it sounds like shit !
    Any tips will be greatly appreciated;
    2012 regular cab
    equipment so far;
    stock head unit -some cheap RCA adapter to PPC400/4 to an old skool set of MBQuartz Q series on the doors, Rockford Punch PS# -10
    Will be adding the DEH-80PRS and replacing the amp with a HD900/5.
    After reading this site for the last week also decided to build a sub enclosure and maybe even replacing the sub with some sort of shallow JL-10
    My main concern is installing everything right, would you guys mind giving a newcomer some tips.
    Thanks
    Leonel

2. Oct 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    There are quite a few DIY threads in this section of the forums that will come in handy if you aren't already 100% familiar with working on our trucks.

Aside from that, make sure you use some quality speaker adapters (preferably made from MDF) to mount your door speakers, use some form of sound deadener like dynamat in your doors, and use quality install parts. Obviously you'll ditch that cheap RCA adapter when you install your new head unit. With the equipment you listed, you should end up with some good quality sound, provided that the install is done correctly.

As far as the sub enclosure goes, a quality custom enclosure is always the best way to go. I haven't had the opportunity to install anything in a regular cab yet, but you probably have room for a pair of JL 10w1 woofers behind your seats.

3. Oct 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Welcome

4. Oct 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    If you want to come over to the valley I can help you tune it up. Install is pretty straight forward. Will you be running the 80PRS in active mode? Remember the DIP switch on the bottom of the radio before you install it. If you're not familiar with crossover setup then use the AUTO EQ and TA feature, it really did a horrible job setting up on mine, but it sounded decent to the untrained ear.

If you're running active crossover mode, remember its only a 3 way network, so the TA isn't going to work well with the rear speakers. I haven't even hooked mine back up yet. 1 way on your amp will go to your tweeters, 1 way to your front door speakers, and then 1 way to your subs. If you're using the JL amp, you should be able to put the 4 channel section into 2 channel mode and piggy back the front speaker signals.

Active setup is a little difficult, I figured it out using my ears and I must say, once done correctly the sound quality is amazing. If you've never wired a stereo before, I would be willing to help you, but I hope you have all your doors already wired with aftermarket wiring. Thats the most time consuming part, I've done a couple the last week or two and its tiring.

Hit me up if you're interested, its about an hour and a half drive. I take payments of cold beer and tips of what you think my time is worth.

5. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    Leonel

Member:
    San Francisco,CA.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys
    I have the back wall already covered in Dynamat and plan to do the doors when I take them apart to rewire the speakers, right now they are wired to crossovers.
    Didn't think about running to 10's but that might be a good idea ,there's enough room behind the seat as long as I can run everything off one amp.
    Brian I still haven't fully decided on which amp or amps to run, I might run it in Standard mode off my PPC4400 until I decide , I see you are running two XD series, how is that working out for you?
    I might take you up on the offer to help, I will be traveling to Sac/Folsom a lot in the next two month for cyclecross racing.
    Would I get just as good quality sound if I run active 3 way with a single 5 channel amp or do I need 2 or 3 amps? not really that much real state on the back wall

6. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

I'm actually running the old school Slash series amps, not the XDs. The XD's are a newer model. In answer to your question I love them. I've always ran JL amps, and always the Slash series. I'm sure they XD's are still good amps, just don't get the JX series, I had one and didn't like it. JL started budget series amps awhile back and they just don't hold up to the JL name IMO.

You can run your setup on a 5 channel if you don't go active. If you do choose to go active, I would consider getting another small 2 channel amp for your tweeters because there will be no crossovers in the system anymore. The sound quality will still be great, but time alignment will not work well, if at all. The active crossover setup will give a much much cleaner sound because it completely seperates the different frequency ranges for a cleaner sound signal. Time alignment removes harmonics caused by the difference in distance between your ears and all the speakers. TA delays the sound on the closer speakers so that it arrives at your ear at exactly the same time.

7. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    Leonel

Member:
    San Francisco,CA.
    Vehicle:
    I'm confused :confused:
    So you are saying that I should run the mids and sub off 4-5channel and the tweets off a separate 2 channel amp?
    How about running the highs and mids off a 4 channel and the sub off a mono amp? will that allow me to run the system in a active 3 way?

8. Oct 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    3 way means HI, MED, LOW. When you run the 80PRS in Active mode, you lose fader control. No front/back control, thus meaning when you try to time align it.... it won't really work with all 4 door speakers hooked up. Many people in this setup don't use rear speakers. You'll see after you install, you don't really need it, nor do you notice it unless you turn your head sideways while you're driving.

I only mentioned buying a seperate amp for your tweets because you were talking a 5 channel amp. 5 channels means 2 sets of speakers and a sub. Tweeters do not require as much power, so I would get a smaller amp for them and use the 4 channel section of your amp for your doors. I would tune the system with the door speakers off, and then after being tuned, I'd turn them on, but very low. No one in the back of a vehicle really likes the volume high, at least I know I don't like it. Keeping the volume low is an effort to not throw off the time alignment of your front speakers.

9. Oct 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Basically I guess I'm saying it really doesn't matter. I don't know what you want for amps. The HD 5 channel will do fine. Leave your doors off until after your tuned up and see if you still feel like you need them

10. Oct 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    Leonel

Member:
    San Francisco,CA.
    Vehicle:
    I understand now :playball:
    This is going into a regular cab, no rear speakers
    I had decided on the HD900/5 assuming I could run the mids of the rear channels, I haven't bough it yet as I was looking around for better prices but I see what you are saying , a 3 channel(2 fronts+sub) and a second 2 channel should allow me to use the time alignment , right?

11. Oct 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    No rear speakers? Just get the HD 900/5. Thats all you'll need.

Front set of channels to the tweeters,
    Rear set of channels to the mids
    sub to sub

Send me a PM when you're planning on coming over this direction.

12. Oct 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    Leonel

Member:
    San Francisco,CA.
    Vehicle:
    Moving right along with my install , is a lot easier with all the articles here,thank you!
    My HD900/5 should be here thursday or friday and the distributor besides cutting me a great deal on the amp will also offered to let me borrow a 2011 dash kit until he can get me the correct 2012, meanwhile I got the doors wired also dynamatted the back wall and doors but I got a couple of questions for Brian. Brian is it necessary to use the Pioneer USB cables?specially if I want to use both USB storage devices and an ipod/iPhone at the same time? I got the Tundra USB/Aux switch all ready to go and a scosche cable from my old iPhone4 charger and was hoping to use those , in the install instruction they recommend using their specific cables if you want to keep both devices connected all the time, there's also mention of a second AUX in the manual are they referring to the BT plug or the 2 RCA input?
    Thanks a lot
    Leonel

Products Discussed in

To Top