Notices

Stock stereo problems

Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
arsonhntr is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: steve
arsonhntr's Tacoma Gallery
Stock stereo problems

My stereo is acting funny. Sometimes it comes on but doesn't display, other times its on but the volume won't work up or down and the presets don't work. Other times it won't turn on!!! You get the picture. Oh and it is the stock JBL system in the 2011 Tacoma Dbl sport. Any advice, I've got an appt at the shop for Friday but just checking if anyone else has the same problems.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
im with (ruler) on this one, i never had my stock long enough to have an issue with it, i recommend you go buy your self a nice kenwood
Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPreRunner View Post
im with (ruler) on this one, i never had my stock long enough to have an issue with it, i recommend you go buy your self a nice kenwood
do all your steering wheel controls still work with an aftermarked stereo?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
do all your steering wheel controls still work with an aftermarked stereo?
You would have to buy an adapter to make them work, but yes the steering wheel controls can still work if you want them to.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
if your going to upgrade your radio, i would recommend you use crutchfield they have everything you need to do it.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonhntr View Post
My stereo is acting funny. Sometimes it comes on but doesn't display, other times its on but the volume won't work up or down and the presets don't work. Other times it won't turn on!!! You get the picture. Oh and it is the stock JBL system in the 2011 Tacoma Dbl sport. Any advice, I've got an appt at the shop for Friday but just checking if anyone else has the same problems.
See it all the time. Radio failure is not as common as a couple of years ago but still way to frequent . Take it back 3/36 on warr.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
arsonhntr is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: steve
arsonhntr's Tacoma Gallery
I'll let them replace it since its under warranty. The stereo is great when it works, but since I have the Toyota extended warranty after it hits 125k ill look for an aftermarket.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll let them replace it since its under warranty. The stereo is great when it works, but since I have the Toyota extended warranty after it hits 125k ill look for an aftermarket.
X2. I'd just stick with the stock unit especially since its still under warranty. I do agree with the other guys though, the stock stereos even if its the JBL unit isnt anything to cheer about. I had to replace my head unit the first week I got it cause it wouldnt pick up any radio reception.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
I know the 06 and 07 had problems that they swapped out the units, but I didn't think they had any problems in the recent years.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
I know the 06 and 07 had problems that they swapped out the units, but I didn't think they had any problems in the recent years.
Like I said not as many. We were changing one every day for a while. Now it's like a couple a month.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Like I said not as many. We were changing one every day for a while. Now it's like a couple a month.
Sorry, never saw your response. I typed that about an hour ago and never posted it. Got side tra...

Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
mj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meg
mj918's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey man, having the same problem. Started about a month or so ago. Called my local Toyota dealership, they said to bring it in when its happening, other than that, cant do anything for me. Only problem is, its so random and only happens for a few seconds to 30 seconds, then it works fine. Have noticed that it is becoming more frequent. Any progress from your dealership? Figure out what's going on?
Old 10-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj918 View Post
Hey man, having the same problem. Started about a month or so ago. Called my local Toyota dealership, they said to bring it in when its happening, other than that, cant do anything for me. Only problem is, its so random and only happens for a few seconds to 30 seconds, then it works fine. Have noticed that it is becoming more frequent. Any progress from your dealership? Figure out what's going on?
Maybe have your camera phone ready and film it
Old 10-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
I just had to change mine. It did a combo of everything. Off and on. Faded screen, no volume.
It's a common problem.
They should just replace it. We never question a radio issue like is described.
We just order a radio and install.
If they are being sticklers then a vid would help or try a different dealer.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
mj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mj918's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Maybe have your camera phone ready and film it
Quote:
I just had to change mine. It did a combo of everything. Off and on. Faded screen, no volume.
It's a common problem.
They should just replace it. We never question a radio issue like is described.
We just order a radio and install.
If they are being sticklers then a vid would help or try a different dealer.
Great advice guys, thanks! Yeah no help from the dealer. Thought since its def under warranty, they'd have no problem just looking at it . . .but not even that.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Great advice guys, thanks! Yeah no help from the dealer. Thought since its def under warranty, they'd have no problem just looking at it . . .but not even that.
Sorry..

Some places just don't use a little common sense and tact.
Try another place if possible.
It should be a painless , non issue, repair...
Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
Tacodriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Tacodriver's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the same problems mostly during the summer when its really hot. Bad thing is that it doesn't do it when I take it to the dealer for warranty.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry..

x2 ... if another another dealer is within reasonable distance.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #20

mj918's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
x2 ... if another another dealer is within reasonable distance.
Yeah, I've had to deal with SLC, Ut dealership for a few warranty things. Just figured it would be easier with the local one...guess not Thanks again for the input.