1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problems with factory stereo - 09 Access cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by redjessie, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Jan 19, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    redjessie

redjessie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Washington, USA
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Access Cab
    Hi Guys

We've had our green machine since July 2008 and in the last couple of weeks the stereo has started intermittently turning itself off. Happens for radio, CD (MP3) or the Aux. Sometimes it will come back on immediately, other times it can take 10 or 15 minutes till it powers up again. It cut out on me 3 times this morning in a 40 minute journey, and wouldn't power on at all after getting back into the vehicle for the return journey an hour later.

We've got a replacement on order under the warranty but it's going to be 5-7 weeks till it shows up.

Also, since day 1 the sound volume through the Aux input has been abysmal. tried ipod nano, zune, and the mp3 player in my cell phone. The volume has to be cranked up to max on both the device and the head unit, and it's only just audible over road noise, and doesn't sound great either, very flat and distorted.

Is the intermittent powering off a usual problem for Tacoma factory units? is that why there's such a long wait?

Other thing we've noticed is that the sound quality is much better for MP3 CD's than it is through the FM stereo.

Is getting it replaced with the same unit likely to take care of the Aux volume/sound quality issues or should we be looking to upgrade, and not having to wait over a month.

The model # is AD1808.

I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer.

Thanks in advance
    Red

2. Jan 19, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    ronin16

ronin16 Active Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area,CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Finally got my TRD Trail Teams Wheels!!!!!!!
    My damn stereo doing the same thing thought it was me and my jacked up hearing!!!!

3. Mar 9, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    newfie8

newfie8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Tinted windows all around. Fog lights. Intermittent wiper switch. Skid plate. Extra D rings. Grillcraft. Color matched grill. Hella 500ff HID behind grillcraft. Rcbs204 Lighting. 5100's up front. 265/75/16 Duratracs.Firestone riderites. Bora Wheel spacers. Tinted tails. De badged. Blacked out rims.
    Redjessie the exact same thing is happening to my 09 Tacoma i bought in august! The volume freezes up all the time and now the power goes off on it's own and won't come for several minutes. And i bought a mp3 player for the aux and the sound sucks bigtime on it. Please let me know how you get on with the new stereo and if you had any trouble getting the warranty work done. Thanks newfie8

4. Mar 9, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    why not just yank the POS stereo and replace it with aftermarket?

5. Mar 10, 2009 at 9:21 AM
    newfie8

Member:
    newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Tinted windows all around. Fog lights. Intermittent wiper switch. Skid plate. Extra D rings. Grillcraft. Color matched grill. Hella 500ff HID behind grillcraft. Rcbs204 Lighting. 5100's up front. 265/75/16 Duratracs.Firestone riderites. Bora Wheel spacers. Tinted tails. De badged. Blacked out rims.
    If they want to pay for it sure..

6. Mar 10, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    stang88

stang88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    my factory stereo was out in less then 2 hours after picking up my truck. i cant stand factory stuff. I have a nice pioneer f900bt and love it.

7. Mar 10, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    newfie8

Member:
    newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    I checked out that stereo after on youtube they look pretty cool! How much do one of those cost?

8. Mar 10, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    stang88

stang88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    well i am an installer so i dont know what retail is. my cost was a pretty good price tho.

9. Mar 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    my stereo would have been in the vehicle less than 2 hours if the stereo shop near me had the kit in stock, i had to wait 2 days to get it online and install my kenwood.

its so funny because the sales man went on and on about how it had a 6 disc changer , xm ready, aux in bla, bla, bla and i told him to save his breath because the POS stereo would be comming out as soon as i got home with the truck!
    so i have a brand new factory stereo in the basement that will still be brand new when i sell the truck. i dont know why all factory stereos manufacturers insist on making garbage! if the stereo didnt cut the bass and treble when you turn it up i might have considered keeping it.
    i kept the mark levinson systems in both my lexus vehicles, thats a factory stereo worth keeping! but it seems unless you buy a 45,000 car you dont get much in the audio department.

10. Mar 10, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    80/20 rule, man. Most people don't care as long as it's easy to operate and puts out coherent noise. If you have an ipod connection you are big pimpin'.

My buddy has a Bose system in his $80k Escalade that he can't remove for under $2k due to the built in electronic security (so I'm told, but we had a nightmare with his old DeVille so I'm guessing the story is true). I plan on putting him to shame just a lil' :D

11. Mar 11, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Sometimes they will take the stock HU and move it to an out of the way location (trunk or hide it in the dash, and run all new wires to still have the factory security but add a new HU. And yes, major PITA.

12. Jul 22, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    WarrantyR

WarrantyR New Member

Member:
    PALM BEACH COUNTY, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 TACOMA SR5
    Same problems with my stereo in new 09. Dealership replaced it once and within a month the new one is malfunctioning as well. Very dissatisfied with this entire system. Volume control doesn't respond, radio turns on and off randomly, screen image scrambles, seems to be a piece of junk.

13. Jul 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    thread revival but with your AUX problem its probably the quality of AUX cable you are using

14. Jul 23, 2009 at 1:10 PM
    Pb taco

Pb taco Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 4x4 sport -long gone-
    I got my TACO last Monday. The radio seems to have the gremlins. It will randomly turn off and sometimes when I hit a preset station button it will turn off.

I have an appointment to take it in but I figure the tech will look at it for a second and say "it's working fine for me".

15. Sep 22, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    Tugboat50

Tugboat50 Member

Member:
    Columbia River
    Vehicle:
    09 2X access
    Reese 5th/mod to gooseneck Air bags Tow Package
    My stereo is doing the same thing I have to wait 5 to 7 weeks for a replacement. I would change it out but a new truck should not have this problem

16. Sep 24, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    the stock stereo is junk and they have issues. take it back to the dealer and get a new one under warrenty, then pull it, stick in on the shelf and put in an after market

17. Sep 27, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    WCJR

WCJR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    W
    Had an issue with my hu. The truck, an 09 4 door long bed sport model. I called my dealer gave them the radio number. It is on the face plate and mine started with a..... I called it in on thurs and one week to the day a new in the wrapper was installed.
    I found out that there were also panasonic units installed as well as the junk gm units.. There have been very few problems with the panasonic units. The dealer just took my word for it and did it.
    I do not know how to verify the make. But a guess is that it can be determined if the dealer runs the radio number. It might be nice to know which you have. If it is a panasonic then you can sleep better.
    Hope this helps.

18. Sep 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    rockinray

rockinray Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    '09 Speedway Blue Taco
    Hood protector,window vents, Xtang trifold tonneau cover, Pioneer AVIC F700BT deck with Sirius and rear view camera, Pioneer 6.5" speakers in rear doors with custom made grills, Inverter inside console with outlets on rear of console, LED lights in cupholder and under climate controls, OEM style driving lights, Westin Stainless Steel Tube steps.
    I have been waiting about a month now and when I checked with the dealership the other day they told me that Toyota does not appear to be shipping any replacements at this point as some of the replacements are even having issues. It sounds to me like they are not shipping any until they resolve the issue. I think I am going to contact Toyota Canada this week and ask them if they cannot provide me a working radio then to give me a credit and I will install an aftermarket unit in its place which I planned on doing anyway in the near future. Just can't seem to make up my mind yet what I want to get.

19. Sep 27, 2009 at 7:04 PM
    WCJR

WCJR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    W
    Tell them to get you a panasonic or pay you for the junker

20. Oct 3, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    rockinray

rockinray Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    '09 Speedway Blue Taco
    Hood protector,window vents, Xtang trifold tonneau cover, Pioneer AVIC F700BT deck with Sirius and rear view camera, Pioneer 6.5" speakers in rear doors with custom made grills, Inverter inside console with outlets on rear of console, LED lights in cupholder and under climate controls, OEM style driving lights, Westin Stainless Steel Tube steps.
    Well I don't know if it is coincidence or not but after leaving a rather to the point message about the stereo being crap and me not happy on the Toyota Canada web site last Sunday, I had a call from the dealer on Friday morning that my replacement radio was in and had an appointment for 1:30 that afternoon to install it. When I asked the advisor if this was just the regular replacement that mey have the problem as well or one that was really fixed by Toyota, he said he had no idea just that he hoped it works.

I am going shopping for my new H/U this week. Kind of liking the new JVC that has the 3.5" touch screen.

Products Discussed in

To Top