Notices

Eclipse AVN6620 and JBL

Old 01-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
BOWnBUCKS is on a distinguished road
Army:
BOWnBUCKS's Tacoma Gallery
Eclipse AVN6620 and JBL

Hello to everyone!

Does anyone know whether or not I need to use the JBL amp interface (Metra TYTO-01) with the Eclipse HU? I'll be keeping the stock speakers, etc., for now. I do have the JBL system.

Also, do I need the interface (PAC SWI-ECL2) to use my steering wheel controls with this Eclipse unit?

I've read conflicting info for both questions. Some say with the steering wheel controls it's plug and play with the Eclipse.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWnBUCKS View Post
Hello to everyone!

Does anyone know whether or not I need to use the JBL amp interface (Metra TYTO-01) with the Eclipse HU? I'll be keeping the stock speakers, etc., for now. I do have the JBL system.

Also, do I need the interface (PAC SWI-ECL2) to use my steering wheel controls with this Eclipse unit?

I've read conflicting info for both questions. Some say with the steering wheel controls it's plug and play with the Eclipse.

Thanks!

I can't speak for JBL, but I just installed this this HU on my 2006 Double Cab without the JBL system. I do have the steering wheel controls.

I WAS ABLE TO INSTALL THIS HEAD UNIT WITHOUT A SINGLE WIRING HARNESS. THE FACTORY HARNESSES PLUG RIGHT IN.

I had multiple people tell me this wasn't the case, so just to be sure I bought the required harness. I matched them up with what Eclipse sent me and the aftermarket harness and THEY FIT PERFECTLY.

I have heard of some people having issues with the steering wheel controls. That plug does not plug directly into the HU. There is a female receptor on the RCA harnesses that you plug the steering wheel controls into. You plug the steering wheel plug into the RCA harness receptor.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
BOWnBUCKS is on a distinguished road
Army:
BOWnBUCKS's Tacoma Gallery
Helps alot. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
CRFan1 is on a distinguished road
CRFan1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorenApart View Post
I can't speak for JBL, but I just installed this this HU on my 2006 Double Cab without the JBL system. I do have the steering wheel controls.

I WAS ABLE TO INSTALL THIS HEAD UNIT WITHOUT A SINGLE WIRING HARNESS. THE FACTORY HARNESSES PLUG RIGHT IN.

I had multiple people tell me this wasn't the case, so just to be sure I bought the required harness. I matched them up with what Eclipse sent me and the aftermarket harness and THEY FIT PERFECTLY.

I have heard of some people having issues with the steering wheel controls. That plug does not plug directly into the HU. There is a female receptor on the RCA harnesses that you plug the steering wheel controls into. You plug the steering wheel plug into the RCA harness receptor.

Hope this helps!

Hmmm...I was wondering if you could get a HU that would still allow use of the steering wheel controls. My 08 has the controls (non JBL).

So what model HU is this and what else did you need to install it? Nothing (aside from the dash kit)? Just to be sure, you needed nothing to hook up the steerwheel controls?

Sorry for all the questions
Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Hmmm...I was wondering if you could get a HU that would still allow use of the steering wheel controls. My 08 has the controls (non JBL).

So what model HU is this and what else did you need to install it? Nothing (aside from the dash kit)? Just to be sure, you needed nothing to hook up the steerwheel controls?

Sorry for all the questions

Correct. I needed nothing aside from the dash kit.
This is the Eclipse AVN-6620

Here is a labeled pic of the Tacoma's factory wiring. Hope this helps!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
CRFan1's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Thanks!!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
CRFan1's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and where did you get it and how much....reviews seem a bit mixed on this head unit

Seems the sound is great and the Nav sucks. If you don't mind me asking how/where did you install the Nav antenna? This is what I am looking for as I want Nav but primarily I want a good sounding HU

Are there any other HU's out there that you guys have used that allow for the steering wheel controls to be functional?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Oh and where did you get it and how much....reviews seem a bit mixed on this head unit

Seems the sound is great and the Nav sucks. If you don't mind me asking how/where did you install the Nav antenna? This is what I am looking for as I want Nav but primarily I want a good sounding HU

Are there any other HU's out there that you guys have used that allow for the steering wheel controls to be functional?
I got mine with an iPod module from eBay for $590.00 shipped.
Both the HU and iPod module were brand new.

I can't speak for other head units, but the sound is great. Having 5v pre outs is nice for external amps. I plan on swapping out the speakers (going with Hybrid Audio components from Mr. Marv) in the next couple weeks.

So far the navigation is decent. I've never used a navigation system extensively, but honestly I'm satisfied. It has taken me to where I need to get without a problem to date.

I mounted the navigation antenna on the very front left corner of the dashboard. I ran the wire under the dash. Nobody notices it, even thought it is in plain sight, unless I point it out.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
WV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdWV_Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
WV_Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
How does the 6620 fit? What DDin do you have?

Just got my 6620..... Have 2005 double din kit(scosche)...Curious how it all fits...

Took out my pioneer Avic II, 6.5", it fit well. But the Eclipse seems tad bigger..
Old 09-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_Tacoma View Post
How does the 6620 fit? What DDin do you have?

Just got my 6620..... Have 2005 double din kit(scosche)...Curious how it all fits...

Took out my pioneer Avic II, 6.5", it fit well. But the Eclipse seems tad bigger..
It fits fine with the Scosche kit (that is what I have). I think the Eclipse is a fraction less than 7'', so it is slightly larger than your Pioneer.