1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Eclipse AVN6620 and JBL

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BOWnBUCKS, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Jan 19, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    BOWnBUCKS

BOWnBUCKS [OP] Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road DC
    Bilstein 5100s, Rear TSB
    Hello to everyone!:)

Does anyone know whether or not I need to use the JBL amp interface (Metra TYTO-01) with the Eclipse HU? I'll be keeping the stock speakers, etc., for now. I do have the JBL system.

Also, do I need the interface (PAC SWI-ECL2) to use my steering wheel controls with this Eclipse unit?

I've read conflicting info for both questions. Some say with the steering wheel controls it's plug and play with the Eclipse.

Thanks!

2. Jan 19, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109

I can't speak for JBL, but I just installed this this HU on my 2006 Double Cab without the JBL system. I do have the steering wheel controls.

I WAS ABLE TO INSTALL THIS HEAD UNIT WITHOUT A SINGLE WIRING HARNESS. THE FACTORY HARNESSES PLUG RIGHT IN.

I had multiple people tell me this wasn't the case, so just to be sure I bought the required harness. I matched them up with what Eclipse sent me and the aftermarket harness and THEY FIT PERFECTLY.

I have heard of some people having issues with the steering wheel controls. That plug does not plug directly into the HU. There is a female receptor on the RCA harnesses that you plug the steering wheel controls into. You plug the steering wheel plug into the RCA harness receptor.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

3. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    BOWnBUCKS

BOWnBUCKS [OP] Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road DC
    Bilstein 5100s, Rear TSB
    Helps alot. Thanks!

4. Jan 20, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    CRFan1

CRFan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    DNX5120, Audsion AMp, Hertz Speakers

Hmmm...I was wondering if you could get a HU that would still allow use of the steering wheel controls. My 08 has the controls (non JBL).

So what model HU is this and what else did you need to install it? Nothing (aside from the dash kit)? Just to be sure, you needed nothing to hook up the steerwheel controls?

Sorry for all the questions ;)

5. Jan 20, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    TorenApart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109

Correct. I needed nothing aside from the dash kit.
    This is the Eclipse AVN-6620

Here is a labeled pic of the Tacoma's factory wiring. Hope this helps!
    [​IMG]

6. Jan 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    CRFan1

CRFan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Awesome Thanks!! :thumbsup:

7. Jan 20, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    CRFan1

CRFan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Oh and where did you get it and how much....reviews seem a bit mixed on this head unit :confused:

Seems the sound is great and the Nav sucks. If you don't mind me asking how/where did you install the Nav antenna? This is what I am looking for as I want Nav but primarily I want a good sounding HU :)

Are there any other HU's out there that you guys have used that allow for the steering wheel controls to be functional?

8. Jan 20, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    TorenApart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I got mine with an iPod module from eBay for $590.00 shipped.
    Both the HU and iPod module were brand new.

I can't speak for other head units, but the sound is great. Having 5v pre outs is nice for external amps. I plan on swapping out the speakers (going with Hybrid Audio components from Mr. Marv) in the next couple weeks.

So far the navigation is decent. I've never used a navigation system extensively, but honestly I'm satisfied. It has taken me to where I need to get without a problem to date.

I mounted the navigation antenna on the very front left corner of the dashboard. I ran the wire under the dash. Nobody notices it, even thought it is in plain sight, unless I point it out.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Sep 21, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    How does the 6620 fit? What DDin do you have?

Just got my 6620..... Have 2005 double din kit(scosche)...Curious how it all fits...

Took out my pioneer Avic II, 6.5", it fit well. But the Eclipse seems tad bigger..

10. Sep 21, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    TorenApart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It fits fine with the Scosche kit (that is what I have). I think the Eclipse is a fraction less than 7'', so it is slightly larger than your Pioneer.

11. Oct 23, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    rubenc87

rubenc87 Cobra

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    DTRL,HID's, Redline Elite Hood Struts,IVD Coilovers and Rear Shocks W/ Ext. Res.,N-FAB Light Bar W/ KC Titanium Lights, Alcan AAL,Wet Okole's, URD T.C.A.I. M/T Classic Lock's BFG AT, Chrome TC UCA'S,TRD Exhaust, Bed Mat,Painted Roof Rack,Access LE,Weathertech's F&R,P&L Lock
    What is the current Eclipse model that replaces this model?

Products Discussed in

To Top