Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Solder or crimp?

Old 10-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Leonel is on a distinguished road

Leonel's Tacoma Gallery
Solder or crimp?

Just wondering what's the best method to use , bviously I'm not doing this for a living so time is not an issue
Thanks in advance
Leonel
Old 10-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Both.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I always solder/heatshink unless its just not possible for whatever reason.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Use the right lugs (male & female) and you won't have issues. Solder can come apart if you are installing on moving parts, if you apply both and definitely heat shrink afterwards you will be golden
Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You can make a high quality lifetime connection with correctly sized butt connectors and a ratcheting crimper.

Don't confuse that with the low quality "crimps" that you install with your hands that pinch through the insulation, and are supplied with low cost wiring harnesses for trailer connectors, fog lights, etc...
Old 10-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
haha, i was just googleing last night to try and figure this out. i was thinking i had to go the way of solder but i conculded that butt connectors properly crimped will suit my truck audio needs. have to put all this in:

Old 10-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
DitchDoc is on a distinguished road

EMS: Paramedic
DitchDoc's Tacoma Gallery
I do crimps. I have never had a problem as long as you have a good set of pliers. Not the cheapo $5 ones
Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawless View Post
haha, i was just googleing last night to try and figure this out. i was thinking i had to go the way of solder but i conculded that butt connectors properly crimped will suit my truck audio needs. have to put all this in:

Your in Seattle and you're a Charger fan? aint you a long way from home?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Use the right lugs (male & female) and you won't have issues. Solder can come apart if you are installing on moving parts, if you apply both and definitely heat shrink afterwards you will be golden
A proper solder joint on a wire to wire connection will not come apart. Soldering joints is always the preferred method for making connections. Water and impurities will never get between the solder and wires.
Crimps are much faster, but are a compromise. They should only be used on the interior. Otherwise "Weatherpack" style connectors should be used.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #11
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Kind of counter intuitive ( at least to me) but a soldered joint has more resistance than a properly crimped joint.

A ton of aircraft and spacecraft use crimps over solder, to prevent failure from the stiffness caused by the soldering.

I use both, just depends on the situation.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
Bigbunzilike is on a distinguished road
Name: Mudderfunker
Bigbunzilike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Right on,I agree.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
i use the crimps that we use on the apache. the raychem enviromental splices. if its good enough to use on a $30 million dollar acft covered in hydraulic fluid and oil, then its good enough for my $30k dollar truck.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Your in Seattle and you're a Charger fan? aint you a long way from home?
i used to live in SD and i'm originally from the Inland Empire. Dodgers, Chargers and Sounders FTW! Keeping it west coast i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
A proper solder joint on a wire to wire connection will not come apart. Soldering joints is always the preferred method for making connections. Water and impurities will never get between the solder and wires.
Crimps are much faster, but are a compromise. They should only be used on the interior. Otherwise "Weatherpack" style connectors should be used.
good point about water. if weatherproofing is needed then solder may be more appropriate.

i don't know how to solder so i'm sticking to crimping so i don't make things worse. i kind of want to do it for kicks though.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawless View Post
i used to live in SD and i'm originally from the Inland Empire. Dodgers, Chargers and Sounders FTW! Keeping it west coast i guess.

good point about water. if weatherproofing is needed then solder may be more appropriate.

i don't know how to solder so i'm sticking to crimping so i don't make things worse. i kind of want to do it for kicks though.
Dodger Fan? Oh well I would've liked you but I'm a SF native and by law I have to hate you
Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
mtxsub is on a distinguished road

mtxsub's Tacoma Gallery
solder strong connection.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
I use both plus heat shrink but it all depends on the connection and what I'm trying to connect
Old 10-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
tommyc is on a distinguished road
Name: tommy
tommyc's Tacoma Gallery
Solder and heat shrink, best connection.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #20
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I use butt connectors with adhesive heat shrink built into them. And obviously crimp them properly. And sometimes I will add extra heatshrink over that if I want extra protection. I have been installing electronics on $100k-200k boats using them, and have never had an issue. Including connections that have to be submerged in water for long periods of time. If they withstand that, they can withstand being crammed behind my dash/door panels