Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

JL Clean Sweep

Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
geoff7877 has a spectacular aura aboutgeoff7877 has a spectacular aura about

geoff7877's Tacoma Gallery
JL Clean Sweep

Just found out about these the other day and they seem a little too easy. Has to be a catch somewhere. I guess there's some drawback with losing the steering wheel controls and volume controls? Not a fan of that.

Anyway, seems like a good alternative to ripping everything out. Any other products out there that do the same or close to the same thing?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
What exactly are you looking to accomplish? CleanSweeps are the way to go for those who want to retain factory head units.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
OP, what gave you the impression that the Cleansweep will cause you to loose steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, etc? All of that is still retained. Those wires should be untouched during the installation process. The cleansweep has no catch... its a dam good product and worth every penny of you want to add any amplifier and keep stock head unit. Whether you have JBL or not it should work. Has signal summing built in so its great for our trucks.

Alternative options would be the LC6i from Audio Control which is not as advanced as the JL Cleansweep in my opinion, but Audio Control does make some great items though! Another alternative is one of Alpine's sound processors. Your looking at double to quadruple the price depending which one you choose but those are far more advanced and way too much processing for a simple system. Both would be a waste. Get the JL Cleansweep, I'd say it is the best option you have for the best available price, hands down (for a standard system anyways). I'd buy it, and if you know me, that means a lot coming from my mouth.

Listen to Brian's ^^ advice too, we both know our stuff in this area.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Double post
Old 10-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Thin Blue Line

Sorry phone was trippin out and posted 3 times. Triple post
Old 10-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
What exactly are you looking to accomplish? CleanSweeps are the way to go for those who want to retain factory head units.
I want to upgrade either way. I have the crap 2012 SR5 stock stereo. I guess you could consider it the single din? I read about the clean sweep and it sounds like an option, but I know nothing about them. If I can get close to the same results without ripping it all apart and buying an aftermarket dash kit that's not going to fit the same, blah blah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
OP, what gave you the impression that the Cleansweep will cause you to loose steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, etc? All of that is still retained. Those wires should be untouched during the installation process. The cleansweep has no catch... its a dam good product and worth every penny of you want to add any amplifier and keep stock head unit. Whether you have JBL or not it should work. Has signal summing built in so its great for our trucks.

Alternative options would be the LC6i from Audio Control which is not as advanced as the JL Cleansweep in my opinion, but Audio Control does make some great items though! Another alternative is one of Alpine's sound processors. Your looking at double to quadruple the price depending which one you choose but those are far more advanced and way too much processing for a simple system. Both would be a waste. Get the JL Cleansweep, I'd say it is the best option you have for the best available price, hands down (for a standard system anyways). I'd buy it, and if you know me, that means a lot coming from my mouth.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ry-stereo.html post #4. Actually doesn't mention steering wheel controls.

Here's another.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...processor.html

Would I in fact be polishing a turd by adding the clean sweep to the SR5 stereo? Thanks for any help and advice.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All of that is still retained. Those wires should be untouched during the installation process. The cleansweep has no catch... its a dam good product and worth every penny of you want to add any amplifier and keep stock head unit. Whether you have JBL or not it should work. Has signal summing built in so its great for our trucks.

Get the JL Cleansweep, I'd say it is the best option you have for the best available price, hands down (for a standard system anyways). I'd buy it, and if you know me, that means a lot coming from my mouth.

absolutely positively +1

a LOT of BMW guys use the clean sweep as their HUs are intergral to the cars operation... they use it all the time. if my double din ever gets stolen out of my truck, im going to stock HU with toyota OE ipod control + clean sweep. its a proven awesome way to get real sound to real speakers and components out of a OE head unit...
Old 10-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Maximuslion is on a distinguished road

Maximuslion's Tacoma Gallery
Proforce , thanks for all the information you previously provided. Priceless to me! Still buying other things for my tacoma so the system is on hold at the moment. I feel the least i could do is buy you a lunch. Just let me know how i can get a few $ to you and i'll do that. I bank with chase, if you do i can just email/transfer you some $

Geoff, i would definately listen to Proforce. He knows his isht! I had this almost exact conversation with him on the cleansweep already. Verified & double verified it! The other dude "Brian" is being confirmed by proforce so he's gotta be legit too. All i know about him is he has a picture of a cool red tacoma in front of some huge bomber looking plane with the fog lights on. Its dark in the picture so its kinda intimidating to me
Old 10-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximuslion View Post
Proforce , thanks for all the information you previously provided. Priceless to me! Still buying other things for my tacoma so the system is on hold at the moment. I feel the least i could do is buy you a lunch. Just let me know how i can get a few $ to you and i'll do that. I bank with chase, if you do i can just email/transfer you some $

Geoff, i would definately listen to Proforce. He knows his isht! I had this almost exact conversation with him on the cleansweep already. Verified & double verified it! The other dude "Brian" is being confirmed by proforce so he's gotta be legit too. All i know about him is he has a picture of a cool red tacoma in front of some huge bomber looking plane with the fog lights on. Its dark in the picture so its kinda intimidating to me
Thanks man! Im always down for lunch just hit me up sometime and we can kick it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #11

Thanks for the help guys. Seriously.

I had time today and did a little more research today. I did find that once the clean sweep is calibrated that the plug in volume knob can be taken away and the factory volume can be used.

So it seems like everything that I've read that everybody has this unit to send a clean signal to an amp, then to the speakers. Will I get more clean volume with JUST the clean sweep running to all factory speakers? New speakers would probably follow soon.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff7877 View Post
Will I get more clean volume with JUST the clean sweep running to all factory speakers? New speakers would probably follow soon.
I'm confused... you don't get a Cleansweep unless your adding an amp, and you don't add an amp to stock speakers, you'll destroy them. What exactly is your intention with this product?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm confused... you don't get a Cleansweep unless your adding an amp, and you don't add an amp to stock speakers, you'll destroy them. What exactly is your intention with this product?
I just heard about this thing 2 days ago and my initial understanding was that it took the signal from the HU and sent a cleaner, stronger signal to the speakers, much like that of a new HU without tearing anything out. If I can get better sound without changing everything, I would like that.

What would your suggestion be proforce? Obviously I'm out of the loop on stereo component upgrades.

In other words, I'm a moron with this stuff and need much help.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #14
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff7877 View Post
I just heard about this thing 2 days ago and my initial understanding was that it took the signal from the HU and sent a cleaner, stronger signal to the speakers, much like that of a new HU without tearing anything out. If I can get better sound without changing everything, I would like that.

What would your suggestion be proforce? Obviously I'm out of the loop on stereo component upgrades.

In other words, I'm a moron with this stuff and need much help.
No no this is made to supply your aftermarket amplifiers with full digital audio signal that what you get from an aftermarket stereo, but from your stock head unit. It won't change your stock audio quality. Nothing will except a new radio and/or speakers.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
i just got an audiocontrol LC7i. i think it does about the same thing.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...-AccuBASS.html
Old 10-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #16
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawless View Post
i just got an audiocontrol LC7i. i think it does about the same thing.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...-AccuBASS.html
Yes it does (for the most part) but still does not do what OP is trying to accomplish.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes it does (for the most part) but still does not do what OP is trying to accomplish.
LC7i does line output cleaning (makes much better RCA outputs for amps) and has a bonus circuit to control for bass roll off of factory systems (keeps bass up as volume increases to combat OEM tendency to roll it off) and that's about it.

i though cleensweep does something else but i haven't researched it. what are other differences between the two units?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
Zapco 360.4
2 ch up front for components and run the sub off the other.
No need for the CS if u decide.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by B737 View Post
Zapco 360.4
2 ch up front for components and run the sub off the other.
No need for the CS if u decide.
A sub should not be powered off a 4 channel that is not designed for it like in your example. Yes, it will work, but no, it will not sound good. Besides, what about the rear speakers? Now your left with a half amplified system, which is a waste.

If you read the posts, you would have also seen that for starters, OP is not adding a system, he is trying to get betted sound from the stock setup with changing it. Which makes your suggestion completely irrelevant.

To finish it off, even if the suggestion you gave was a good one, you would still have use for the CS in order to get the best signal to that amp from the stock head unit. The amplifier may accept high level inputs and advertises that it has a hi/lo converted (or line level converter) built in, but it does not have signal summing or the sound processing that is achieved with the CS or other products like the LC6i/7i.

I think you have completely missed the point of this thread. Not to be a jerk, but it gets on my nerves when people say things that are completely unrelated to the OPs question which only confuses them more, and to top of off, its not even good advise either. Please read first before posting.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
If you're absolutely dead-set on keeping your factory radio, then I would recommend an Audio Control piece rather than the JL CleanSweep. But as stated before, with either unit, you would need to add an amplifier and replace the speakers as well. My suggestion is that you just replace the factory head unit. That should give you an immediate improvement in sound quality and will make it easier to make further improvements to your stereo in the future, if you decide to.