Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Pioneer USB Adapter

Old 08-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
tigerdongal is on a distinguished road
tigerdongal's Tacoma Gallery
Pioneer USB Adapter

Hello there
My local installer has tried twice to get the USB adapter to work with my external hard drive. After the first attempt we re-formatted the drive to Fat32 so it could read it. Guess what? It didn't work! They did get a flash drive to work though. Same file format, FAT!
I know some people are running and external off their Pioneers and we are leaning to the problem being the USB adapter, well especially today as we plugged it into a Sony head unit with a front mounted USB slot and it powered up the drive and was reading it.
If anyone has any ideas please send them my way.

Thanks
TD.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
You may want to contact Pioneer directly. I have never delt with their USB compatible devices, but it seems like there should be an auto-negotiate between USB V1.0 and USB V2.0 (which operates at faster speeds). It is possible that the Pioneer deck is detecting the drive as 1.0...

Just a thought.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
It can ready a flash card without any problems, it may be faulty is what the installer is thinking though. They have a sony with usb and it sees the drive and powers it fine, for some reason the adapter doesnt. He also says pioneers help line sucks the big one! He's getting another one in next week to try again... But I wont be in San Antonio, noooo. Somewhere between the lousiana/arkansas border for four weeks. Sucks.
It is usb2 compliant dude!
Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdongal View Post
It can ready a flash card without any problems, it may be faulty is what the installer is thinking though. They have a sony with usb and it sees the drive and powers it fine, for some reason the adapter doesnt. He also says pioneers help line sucks the big one! He's getting another one in next week to try again... But I wont be in San Antonio, noooo. Somewhere between the lousiana/arkansas border for four weeks. Sucks.
It is usb2 compliant dude!
Yeah, my only guess then woudl be that it is defunct(sp)!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
4x4Taco will become famous soon enough4x4Taco will become famous soon enough

4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdongal View Post
Hello there
My local installer has tried twice to get the USB adapter to work with my external hard drive. After the first attempt we re-formatted the drive to Fat32 so it could read it. Guess what? It didn't work! They did get a flash drive to work though. Same file format, FAT!
I know some people are running and external off their Pioneers and we are leaning to the problem being the USB adapter, well especially today as we plugged it into a Sony head unit with a front mounted USB slot and it powered up the drive and was reading it.
If anyone has any ideas please send them my way.

Thanks
TD.

External USB drives require power over USB....some head units will have it others will not. The memory USB keys will all work fine but add an external power source to your drive and it will be fine.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:34 AM   #6
Even if its a laptop external that requires no additional power whilst on a computer?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:47 AM   #7
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Taco View Post
External USB drives require power over USB....some head units will have it others will not. The memory USB keys will all work fine but add an external power source to your drive and it will be fine.
Yeah, I forgot about that. The USB slots on many of these head units are made for USB Flash drives (low power) or MP3 players (Hard Drives or Flash with its own power). I looked at the manual on my Pioneer deck (has USB AUX built in), and it says that it does not provide power over USB.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
Its supposed to power 500ma, which is about what a regular usb port should deliver. Its very frustrating! Adding a power supply would blow. I might get a 16 gig stick instead! lol But the hard drive was recognised on a Sony head unit... So they can power it.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
TrippinEx is on a distinguished road

TrippinEx's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Kenwood deck and remember reading that attaching a HD would require an external power source as the USB port would not have enough power to drive the HD. So, it's not just limited to Pioneer decks.

FWIW, I have an 8GB stick and it's been meeting my needs.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Thanks for the advice, I am looking for a 5 volt 1 amp supply as that would do what I need to do. Could also look in radioshack instead of Ebay. :-)