1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone with an LC6i in a newer non-JBL taco?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tango down, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    tango down

tango down [OP] Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    Hi Everyone. I pm'd a few of you guys after searching....

Since I am in full on panic mode I figured I would post a thread as well. :)

I have a 2012 taco and want to install the LC6i in order to keep the OEM head and add amps.. Cantsitstill's thread in the audio section has me nervous. He could not get two LC6i units to work. I trust he was capable at installing it based on his troubleshooting and experience at install.

I am seeking input from users that have success with the LC6i in a newer non JBL taco.

Thanks everyone.

2. Oct 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    That unit is very straight forward and there is no reason why it should not work correctly, be a JBL system or not. If you know what you're doing, it should turn out just fine, if not, ask for help and post pictures of what you are dealing with.

3. Oct 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    2012TXbaja

2012TXbaja Active Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunner
    Tinted windows, 6" Fabtech lift kit with Dirt Logic coilovers & Smoothies
  4. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    lawless

lawless the rent is too damn high

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb mgm sc
    i have '12 non-jbl and i'm going to install LC7i in the next few weeks. i contacted a guy on TW who has a '12 non-jbl and asked about issues with the LC6i. he had it professionally installed and no issues.

i think it will work fine. there's no reason why it would not work. that being said, i haven't installed yet...

5. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    tango down

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks gang. And thanks for the pm's as well. I'll go forth with the install. I just got a little freaked out that cantsitstill was having issues. I just wanted to make sure there were success stories out there.

Funds and driveway time are rare enough with a wife and two kids. I came really affords any set backs..

Thanks

6. Oct 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    Mobyman

Mobyman Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Any update on this install? I'm about to do the same install with the AC LC7i on a 2012. I called Crutchfield and talked to Darren and he said No, it won't work. Then I called Audio Control and talked to Brandon and he said that it should work. He added that if it doesn't work try swapping the left, right speaker inputs.

The only other thought I had was to turn off the ASL thru the radio settings. Again, just throwing ideas out there as I have yet to install. I'm still waiting for a few more items before I give it a try.

7. Oct 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    lawless

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb mgm sc
    hope to install this weekend. i want to put the LC7i on an amp rack behind the rear seats, but i'm not sure how to get the 12v there.

i think the best way may be to splice into the head unit ignition wire, add a 2 amp fuse inline and run 14 gauge wire to the amp rack. i am leaning toward this route because i want the LC7i to send signal to my amps as long as the stereo is on so the ingition wire in the harness is key.

another idea is to run a wire with a 2 amp fuse from my blue sea block but this does not seem necessary and i'm concerned about losing radio functionality by missing the ignigtion wire in the stereo harness.

i'm running 4 gauge wire from the battery to a 2-way distribution block, then 4 gauge to one amp and 8 gauge to the other. plan c is to maybe stuff the end of a 14 gauge wire in the 8 gauge output of the dist block and throw a 2 amp in-line fuse on the wire en route to the LC7i. this kind of sounds like ghetto wiring so i'll probably avoid.

comments/suggestions?

since it sounds like OP may benefit from this as well i'm not going to call it a threadjack.

8. Oct 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    tango down

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    Lawless, its all good....
    I am doing almost the same as you. My LC6i will be powered via the ignition wire from the head unit wiht a 2 amp fuse. Then from remote line (remote out) to the 2 amps. AudioControl recommends this type of install, which is why I chose this route.

I have 0/1 gauge ran to teh back, then blocked into 2 4 gauge lines to the amps.

Please avoid you option c....it doesnt' sound right.

Also, I got a few PMs from people that had LC6i and 7 that had success so I am even more confident in my set up.

9. Oct 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    lawless

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb mgm sc
    i don't even want to think about working on the install and having problems with the audiocontrol. i have a pile of tools and equipment on my floor ready to go. just got the last piece today - baffles courtesy of Marv.

IMG_20121025_181234_8e27bb7cff7c8fa7bcbaab1ecae97a5c820f6478.jpg

10. Oct 26, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    tango down

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    NICE!!!! You look ready.

My garage has pretty much looked like that for a while. Half the stuff is in the Taco right now...and half is still int eh garage.

I got my last bit of Rammat today. that will finish out the back wall, then last touches on amp racks....then put it all in and hook it up....then troubleshoot, lol.

11. Oct 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    2012TXbaja

2012TXbaja Active Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunner
    This is some of the major items that I am currently installing in my truck. Mr Marv is currently fabricating me a box to fit behind my rear seat. My box is going to hold two JL Audio TW5v2 13.5" subwoofers. I am going to be unusual in the fact that I am also going to put my amplifiers, power distribution blocks & capacitors in a custom semi-sealed enclosure that I am placing in the foward part of my bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few days ago I decided to start linning most of my entire cab with Dynamat and my daughter decided that she wanted to help her daddy. She was helping me install on the ceiling. She helped with both the removal of the headliner, installing the dynamat and reinstalation of the headliner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far my truck interior is gutted (other than the drivers & passenger seat) so I can layer Dynamat to the floor, back wall & all 4 doors (outer skin & inner door panel [not the plastic cosmetic panel]). So far i've gotten 6 small cuts on my finger tips and hands from the this alluminum backing but its encouraging to see progress. I have decided to reroute the factory amp, Audiocontrol LCQ-1 & Audiocontrol Matrix in the storage that normally sits under the rear seats.

I am simply amazed on how easy these trucks are to work on and how easy my audio instalation in progressing. I know that my build will be slow, but I am trying to do everything as professionally as I can.

stealthmode likes this.
  12. Oct 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    lawless

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb mgm sc
    /\ this looks awesome! keep us apprised.

i don't have a garage and it rained all weekend in Seattle so i did not make the progress i wanted to. i got the rear plastics out and cut a board to mount amps and such to as a temporary install until i order a custom box from Marv. i got everything screwed to the board (sorry no pics) but no wiring yet. i installed a mount for the anl fuse holder in the engine compartment:

IMG_20121028_153506_e26199f6c71604b1334976e5b72694ff4f47d071.jpg

stealthmode likes this.
  13. Nov 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    2012TXbaja

2012TXbaja Active Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunner
    I like the sheetmetal shelf that you have, but what are the three components that you have mounted. I only build a small backet to bolt to the LH fender to mount my circuit breaker. I wll be running my power wire from my battery over to my CB, down inside my framerail then it will be routed all the way to my bed to my apmlifier rack/box. I dont have a garage either, so making progress is slow. we just had Sandy here on the east coast and its been over a week since i've gotten a chance to work on my truck.

I will be posting more pictures once I get a chance to make more progress. I cant wait to start installing my audio equipment.

14. Nov 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    2012TXbaja

2012TXbaja Active Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunner
    Just finished building and wiring my amplifier box and I will be mounting in the bed of my truck this weekend. Planning to wire everything up next week. The only thing I am waiting on is my sub box from Mr Marc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Nov 9, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    tango down

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
  16. Nov 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    tango down

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    I'll post pics when I can, but I wanted to let everyone know that I got everything in, fitted, and powered on. It is great.

The LC6i does exactly what I want it to do. It converts the speaker line to RCA and I can adjust outputs.

I have faith in the product. After Cantsitstill's experience I was a little leary. Hopefully his experience was the exception and not the rule.

Products Discussed in

To Top