Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

08 sterio and ipod....

Old 10-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Stamford Fire Department, Group 3 truck 3
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
08 sterio and ipod....

Is it possible to hook up an ipod to a stock 08 stereo? Do they make an adapter or am I gonna have to upgrade my radio? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
....and i'm going with no then...
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
turbo325ii is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
turbo325ii's Tacoma Gallery
I was also wondering this... I have heard like on Corollas and stuff there is a spot for a cd changer that can work for iphone hookup with a proper cable.

I have also heard that some people are tapping into the optical sensor on the cd drive... Still looking for info..
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Memba
go8soccer is on a distinguished road

go8soccer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi781 View Post
Is it possible to hook up an ipod to a stock 08 stereo? Do they make an adapter or am I gonna have to upgrade my radio? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Just found this.. The answer is "YES!!!"

I don't know about you guys, but I prefer to hook up wirelessly (using Bluetooth), so the BT35 will be the route that I will be taking in the near future.

http://usaspec.com/vehicle_products.php
Old 10-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, i'm going to check that out!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
GROM audio makes a box that plugs into the factory stereo CD1 hole on the back and has usb, ipod & aux 3.5mm connections. Newer ones also are bluetooth capable for your phone use happiness too.............

http://gromaudio.com/store/all-toy.html
Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've had that USA Spec device in my 2007 since the truck was brand new. It's still working great. It's one of the better and probably most used accessory I've purchased for the truck. I think mine is the PA15-TOY, the other models weren't offered when I bought mine.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
I get that some people just would prefer the look of the stock unit (for whatever reasons... theft deterance, seamless look, whatever...) but for the prices you pay for those products, you could get an aftermarket headunit, that will do all of what you get with those parts, plus the ability to upgrade down the line, AND get better sound quality than what you get with the stock unit...

I know, this is just my opinion.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGT View Post
I get that some people just would prefer the look of the stock unit (for whatever reasons... theft deterance, seamless look, whatever...) but for the prices you pay for those products, you could get an aftermarket headunit, that will do all of what you get with those parts, plus the ability to upgrade down the line, AND get better sound quality than what you get with the stock unit...

I know, this is just my opinion.

That's what i was thinking...i used to be into sterios, but now I just want to play my ipod instead of having to burn disks all the time. I found a couple of alpines for like 100-150 bucks that would fit my needs perfectly, I just thought this might be the cheaper option.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
There is a cheaper option, however, I would not suggest going that route (having done so myself). I found a $10 option and while it did allow me to use my (old) iphone in the truck, it was definately a "you get what you pay for".

I have since found an Alpine IDA-X305S and it's accompanying bluetooth model ($200 on craigslist) and absolutely would not have gone any other route.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
turbo325ii is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
turbo325ii's Tacoma Gallery
I love good systems, but on the Tacoma where I already have the JBL system, I dont wanna really change out the headunit. I just want iphone hookup, or better yet blue tooth, because my ipad mini wont have the same 31pin connector on it.

To me, the aftermarket single DIN head units look cheap in the location where you had a big nice stock stereo. Obviosly they have to be universal(ish) so you cant have one that fills the space, except the nav units. I just think the stock one is super clean and matches the lighting of the dash ect ect.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2008 with the JBL stero. I use a Grom Audio USB adapter from http://gromaudio.com/store/all-toy.html. I have the Bluetooth option. I can plug in my ipod or play music from my phone via Bluetooth. I can make calls or answer them using the Bluetooth. All stering wheel controls work. When a call comes in, I press the track up button on the steering wheel to answer the phone. To place a call, press the scan button twice on the stereo and use voice dialing. It works quite well. You can also use it to play music on a thumb drive. There is also an aux. input that will plug into any 3.5mm phone jack. I mounted the adapter behind the glove box, and the USB port and AUX/iPod ports in the centre console. Here's my write-up.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-write-up.html
Old 10-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
^ Very cool, thank you! Nice work by the way.