Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Cheap Sound deadening idea

Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap Sound deadening idea

I saw this stuff at home depot today and I am tired of the little rattles my door panel makes with the window rolled down and I just installed new speakers. So if you have ever tried this or have a better/cheaper solution, lets discuss

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
DavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
It will fall off when it gets hot and stink up your truck to high heaven. I'd suggest you avoid using it.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

its worth a shot and for 16 bucks and why does it stink?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
it is asphalt. When asphalt heats up it stinks. If you want to see, go to homedepot and smell some of the asphalt roofing paper, then imagine that being trapped in your cab.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
its worth a shot and for 16 bucks and why does it stink?
Even Dynamat stinks like asphalt for the first few days.
It's the material used for the backing.

And while I'm not familiar with the specific product you asked about, I'd be inclined to agree with David.

The roofing industry, both commercial and consumer/retail, is FULL of products that are little more than some kind of industrial waste product, and someone looks at it and says "Hey, this is somewhat pliable and water repellent, let's market it as a roofing product!"

It might be okay on a roof, but it could pose a health risk in a situation with repeated confined space exposure.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I just read a few reviews of people using it as a sound deadener and it was praised for its cost savings over dynamat and its adherence was very good.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
used some in previous trucks, never noticed any smell and its been hot enough in the truck to explode a soda can. took out the "ping' sound of the sheet metal and stopped some rattles.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3187 View Post
used some in previous trucks, never noticed any smell and its been hot enough in the truck to explode a soda can. took out the "ping' sound of the sheet metal and stopped some rattles.
Did it work out for you? Was there ever a noticeable smell?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I put a similar product on about a year and a half ago (been through 2 summers now) for part of the same reason, mostly looking for a cheaper alternative for vibration damping. For the product I used, what I stuck on originally, is all still very well stuck on now, also there was absolutely no smells from the product.

Now as for "does it work", I didn't notice any difference before or after, but note that I wasn't attempting to go after a specific vib, just decided to try it without having a large cost.

I also recall someone posting a test that someone did comparing roofing material such as this, along with several brands of vibration damping material. As I recall, the results were that it would take 2-3 COMPLETE layers of roofing material to come even close to the vibration reduction of a 25% layer of any of the other brand name products. So to that end, if you really do notice such things, the cost of the roofing material may not actually be as cost effective as you think. But it may be a cost effective solution if all you're looking for is a panacia or a placebo :-)
Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
There are other specific made vehicle vibration dampeners out there that are MUCH cheaper than dynamat. I believe Raamaudio still gives TW discounts.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
stanbp64 is on a distinguished road
stanbp64's Tacoma Gallery
Peel and Seal from Lowes is a similar product. I've used it and have had no smell and it is still in place. I put a layer of Ensolite over the top of it also.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
GoatFiddyone is on a distinguished road

GoatFiddyone's Tacoma Gallery
I used eDead that I bought from ebay in my GTO. It didn't stop any of the rattles but it did a tremendous job at keeping the sound inside the car. Sound deadener is not to be confused as a miracle rattle stop. The goal is to keep your tunes in your "stage" which most purpose built sound deadeners are pretty good at.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Oh hell no....do NOT use any of that roofing crap in your car. Sound Deadener Showdown, Second Skin Audio, RAAM Audio are all great companies to get stuff from.

It's not as expensive as you think it is. Most people wrongfully think they need full coverage. It's incorrect. 25% coverage in the center of the panel is plenty.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #14

well it worked out good for a while and then I started to notice a smell when it got hot outside. Although it worked, its coming out because of the smell when heat gets to it. Some of you were right
Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #15
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crap man....I'm sorry to hear that.

What sucks is how long it will take you to get it all out. When you're done you'd have willingly paid triple the price for that time back.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Crap man....I'm sorry to hear that.

What sucks is how long it will take you to get it all out. When you're done you'd have willingly paid triple the price for that time back.

its ok, it was worth a shot. Let me ask you a question. If I wanna do just my doors, what do I need to get from raamaudio?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #17
Sounds Gooooood

I would do about 10sq feet per door. You'll use some inside the door and then some on the outside metal surface of the door.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I would do about 10sq feet per door. You'll use some inside the door and then some on the outside metal surface of the door.
will I need to get the ensolite also along with that foam stuff you glue when finished?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #19

are there any how to's on how to do this correctly, step by step threads?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
Sounds Gooooood

What foam stuff are you talking about? The ensolite is sheet foam I thought?

You really will be just fine on your own man. Just work in smaller pieces and keep tapping on the surface to find the most resonant areas. Then tackle those.