Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

30-pin built in

Old 10-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
ryrydtl is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
ryrydtl's Tacoma Gallery
30-pin built in

I got board today and was tired of having to put my iphone in my glovebox where my headunits 30-pin connector is. Soo, i decided to make use of a empty switch cover and a Cablejive dockXtender

Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
that is effin brilliant.... since it looks like you've got good access to tools needed to do this, can I send you a blank of mine and some $$ and have you cut one for me too??
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
does it stay connected fine?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I don't get it. Doesn't look like a phone would fit there sideways?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
So do you just stick your phone or ipod on there? Or is there a female to male 30 pin cord that you plug into it?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like the phone will fall off the connector at every bump in the road.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^that would make sense. I've just never seen one of those cords work. Maybe he's got the iPhone 5 and uses the adapter to another charging cable? Man it sure is fun to speculate. Haha I bet we're all wrong.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Purveyor of Fun

He says he uses this right in the OP. whoops.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post

He says he uses this right in the OP. whoops.
Is that what you call a cablelive dockXtender? I looked for one of these for awhile, i thought he was talking about one of those little extenders that is like an inch long for docks so you can use them with an otterbox

Edit: googled, yep thats what it is. Did this exist 6 months ago because i searched online for awhile trying to find this cord so i could do exacty what the OP did
Old 10-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Seems like the phone will fall off the connector at every bump in the road.
I've got a nano that I take in and out of the truck constantly, and having a setup like this would be awesome, just snap it into place, and "yank" it off when I need to.

Besides, I don't believe there's enough room where the connector is at to actually put the phone there.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #12

ryrydtl's Tacoma Gallery
yeah my cablejive dockXtender is 2ft long. so i just plug it into the port i made and i have 2ft to move my phone around. i just wanted a cleaner install than what i had before in my glovebox. My head unit only has a 30-pin connector, no lightning yet. I plan to take out the stock AUX jack in that same row and put a lighting plug just like how i installed the 30-pin once i decide to trade in the 4s.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #13

^+1 for you, that came out so clean. I wanted to do this months ago but i couldnt find that cord. I will probably attempt it by drilling two holes for the ends and cutting inbetween them with a dremel. I actually have a cnc, but its a poor mans DIY cnc made for carving wood.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #14

ryrydtl's Tacoma Gallery
It makes everything much cleaner! And to be honest drilling and using a file would work just as well. My cnc didn't cut deep enough so I filed like crazy. It was a tight fit to make the male end of my cable fit. I just filled the back with plastic epoxy.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #15

ryrydtl's Tacoma Gallery
One thing that is important is to find a cable that dosnt lock to your device. It took a lot of returning cables that weren't true 30-pin. Meaning they would only have some of the wires that would only charge a device and not transfer all the data video/audio/power.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I think I would have kept the 30 pin behind the dash and ran the dock extender into the cubby below the radio. It would stay coiled there when not in use and you wouldn't have any protrusions from the dash. Not trying to bash at all, overall I like the idea, just would have executed it differently and possibly giving others a different spin for their project
Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #17

ryrydtl's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone has there different needs for different applications. I still have the connector in my glovebox too if I ever need it. But this way if I'm not using the cable from the plug I installed I just coil it up and it goes in my center council
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaryanreynolds View Post

You do know they changed the port
Haha this is the first thing I thought of too.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrydtl View Post
One thing that is important is to find a cable that dosnt lock to your device. It took a lot of returning cables that weren't true 30-pin. Meaning they would only have some of the wires that would only charge a device and not transfer all the data video/audio/power.
Hmmm ya good point, i didnt think of that. the cord i have does lock on. But thats the only cord i can use with my headunit if i want video as well as audio and charge. Maybe i can modify it or use something to keep the little clips pushed in so it always stays unlocked.

Edit: thinking out loud here, but since my cord locks...Maybe i can get one of those little dock extenders, the one with no cord that are designed for docks and iphones with cases. Then i can cut the dock extended in, plug my head unit cord into the back, and the male to female cord into the front....ok problem solved, probably didnt need to share that lol.