1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 wiring for a remote start

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by NiceTaco, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Oct 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    NiceTaco

NiceTaco [OP] Canadian Redneck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    ***Posted in wrong section... I have reposted in technical***

I have been waiting to get my remote start installed for weeks.. Reason being the tech wasn't able to get the wiring schematic for a 12 it was not on the site Of the company he normally uses..

He took panels of and checked it against an 11 schematic and it was different. He did get his hands on a 2012 drawing from directed but he thinks it is just a copy and paste of the 2011.
    Staub tech is where he normally gets it all and they don't have it up yet.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on remote start instructions? For a 2012?

Shit I thought I put this in technical.... Oops

2. Oct 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    not a bad place to put this... there's lots of remote start questions in here. As for a 2012, I haven't personally worked on one, but but I highly doubt that toyota would have change up the wiring colors... the locations might be slightly different, but not to the extent that you should have troubles finding the right wires.

Example: Your parking light wire will likely still be available in the harness coming out of the steering column - whether or not it's a + or - pulse is still up for grabs, but either way, you can still grab it here. Likewise, you can almost always find the parking light wire in the driver's kick panel, in a large bundle of wires heading down the sill plate. Toyota's typically used a slightly larger gauge green wire (+ pulse)

Additionally, door locks will be coming from the driver's door bundle, also in the kick panel, but tucked back farther... pop off the door window/lock panel and poke around.

Tying into the ignition harness is not likely to have changed.... at all. The wires are the largest around, come from the steering column, and are extremely hard to miss if you've taken off the lower dash panel and the lower column cover.

The tach hookup is likely gonna be the hardest to find, assuming that it did, but even still, just simply going to a coil will net you workable results.

The hardest part of the installation is likely going to be the key interface, again, at the column, but this is pretty easy to find - If it hasn't changed, it will be a 3 wire bundle (pretty small gauge) coming immediately off the key cylinder.

Take the 2011 wiring guide you have and ignore the part that tells you where the wires are located, only paying attention to the color, and start looking in logical places (I know, cars are rarely logically assembled), such as the one's I've listed.

Best of luck

3. Oct 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    NiceTaco

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    Thanks man... We shall see what happens Thursday

4. Dec 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    Amys2012namedTOYA

Amys2012namedTOYA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Omaha, Ne
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Self installed Remote Start, and dealer added Cruise Control, self installed 6 disc factory with dual 4-way 6 1/2 door speakers, power accoustic tweeters, and 6x9 rockford foskate prime in the back powered by a dual 400 watt amp.
    If you havent gotten installed yet I would take it to a different company all together. I just did my own install on mine !!!. It is exactly the same wiring diagram from 2009-2012. Mine is a 2012 if that tells you anything.
    Oh and by the way, Tell that tech The 12volt.com !!!
    Thanks,
    Brad

5. Dec 31, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    NiceTaco

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    It's installed I did have to go to another tech cause the above guy kept screwing me around with its not the right schematic... Brought to another guy he had it done in no time...

6. Dec 31, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    Amys2012namedTOYA

Amys2012namedTOYA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Omaha, Ne
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Self installed Remote Start, and dealer added Cruise Control, self installed 6 disc factory with dual 4-way 6 1/2 door speakers, power accoustic tweeters, and 6x9 rockford foskate prime in the back powered by a dual 400 watt amp.
    Nice to hear, glad its working for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top