Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Head on radio bolt broken off, help!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
TRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TRDPrerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Head on radio bolt broken off, help!

Hey guys,
I have a Pioneer Double-Din in my 08 Double Cab, i had the radio installed by a local audio shop and I noticed the dash kit was sticking out and not fitting right. Well come to find out, when i started to try to fix it, the bolt head from the radio mounting bolt (bottom left) was broken off, causing the radio to sag down and make the dash kit stick out! How can i get this thing out?? I've thought about trying to drill it out, but that bolt is pretty far back in the dash! Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
If it was put in by a shop just take it back to them and have them fix it. If they ask you didn't do anything to it.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
If it was put in by a shop just take it back to them and have them fix it. If they ask you didn't do anything to it.
Judging by his problem, I would assume that the shop that he had his equipment installed at is not very prestigious. Most places that are willing to let something like that leave their shop have a "tail light" warranty (the warranty lasts as long as they can see your tail lights when you pull off).

OP; If the head is completely off the bolt, you should be able to take out the other three bolts holding the radio in, take the radio out, and disassemble the dash pieces surrounding it. Having this extra room to work will allow you to assess the best way to get that bolt out. You could probably get a replacement bolt from the Toyota dealership for pretty cheap if you can't find a good replacement. Hopefully you can spin the bolt all the way through the threading, but I'm not sure what else might work without having seen the situation first hand.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
If the actual thread piece is sticking out you might Dremel a flat notch in it and use a screwdriver on it...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
TRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDPrerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TRDPrerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I've tried taking the unit out, and dis-assembling the dash pieces around it, but I didn't get anywhere. I just tried drilling it out to no prevail, and the threads aren't stuck out at all. I'm thinking it was wayyy too over torqued. I'm going to take it back to them tomorrow to see what they can do, they have been pretty good about standing behind their work in the past with me. But if all else fails, I work at a Toyota dealership and I might be able to get one of the tech's to help me out. Unless anyone else has any ideas.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #8
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Try a left handed drill bit ( and run the drill in reverse ). This will usually back the bolt out as the drill starts to bite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYvaPbX1sT4