1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lookinjg for AV guru's help

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by j83soldier, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Oct 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM
    j83soldier

j83soldier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    So I want to run an audio aux cord to my head unit so I can hook my phone with pandora to my system. I m in afghanistan right now and want to order parts needed. Here is the issue. I have no idea if this is doable and I cant remeber what head unit I have. I have a pic in my build...http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/71754-joshs-build.html . So I was hoping that TW would work their magic and help me out. What do I need, and what type of head unit it this. Thanks.

2. Oct 24, 2012 at 2:14 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Can't tell what model just from the pic, but if its pioneer, it likely has an IP-bus on the back, which means you could buy pretty much any IP-bus adapter and make it work. This gives you multiple options like bluetooth and ipod connectors.... I have an RCA input adapter that I need to get rid of. Simple 3.5mm to RCA from there.

3. Oct 24, 2012 at 2:50 AM
    j83soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    dude I am AV stupid, what is a IP-bus adapter. I am kind of assuming that like my stero in our house that I could just hook up a aux line (like a 2 pronged headphone jack) or something simial to the back 0f the unit then run it to the glove box and my phone and plug in in the headphone port. Does that make swnse. Also Yes it is a pioneer.

4. Oct 24, 2012 at 3:12 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I also cannot tell from the picture which model it is. I would need the model number printed in very fine print on the top right of the unit just beneath the cd slot. This is your picture from your build...
    [​IMG]

you can see the model number, but not clearly enough.

BUT, the good news is that all that really does not matter anyways, because it appears you have an aux input on the front of your radio. Look at the bottom left corner, that small round circle is a 3.5mm aux input. 3.5mm is the fancy way of referring to a standard headphone jack. It is specifying the size of the cable needed, whereas some devices require a "mini" jack which is only 2.5mm. Your phones headphone jack is also 3.5mm, so knowing this, you need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm aux cable. They can be purchased for anywhere from $1.00 to $20.00 and can be found at just about any place that sells electronics. Best Buy, Radio Shack, your cell phone carrier store, even the .99 cent store or gas station probably sells them now.

I would warn you however that with these cables, the saying "you get what you pay for" applies. Spend no less than $5 on a decent cable from a decent store, not these cheapy super thin cables form china. The "retractable" ones tend to break easily.

Great examples:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex&#...260736&skuId=8915178&st=3.5mm cable&cp=1&lp=6

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4344796

Just make note of the length of the cable. Dont recommend anything more than 3' otherwise you just have a ton of wire everywhere.

This is plug-n-play. can be removed anytime, no install required.

I made this post as "dumb" as possible for your since your said you have no clue what any of this is. Hope it answers all your questions :)

5. Oct 24, 2012 at 6:15 AM
    j83soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    Ohhhh eff me man. When I said I was AV dumb I meant with wiring....until you pointed out the FACT I CAN JUST PLUG IT IN. Jesus, how I never saw that is beyond me. I have used the "head phone extensions" or 3.5mm to wire stuff in my house so i am familiar with it. Thanks man for pointing out the obvious that I did not see for ohhh 4 years. Cheers Bro :D

6. Oct 24, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Products Discussed in

To Top