1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sirrus vs XM

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Uncle Wayne, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Oct 26, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    Uncle Wayne

Uncle Wayne [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacome SR5
    I've got a 2010 Tacoma with the standard radio/1 cd player. It has the AM/SAT button on the front. I have seen the threads regarding installation of Sirrus radio. I am old and slow, so bear with me. What do I need to receive XM through my existing/in dash unit? Will the installation be the same? Can an old fart like me do it without screwing up? Thanks.:confused:

2. Oct 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    It's the same company so there is no XM vs Sirius. You can buy a factory satellite radio receiver (big bucks) or an aftermarket one for around $200. All these kits are pretty much plug and play so if you can remove your factory radio I'm sure you could install a unit. About the hardest thing is hooking up the sat. antenna only cause you can mount it in various places

3. Oct 26, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    When i get home ill check my stock radio for ya, its sitting in my closet. You should be able to get a receiver for 50 bucks. If crutchfield still has the deal going on i think you can get a $40 rebate. Then you need to buy something called a lexus shark fin adapter, if you already have the antenna on your roof you just plug the adapter in and run the wire to the receiver an hide it somewhere inside the dash. The adapter plugs in behind the driver side kick panel. The shark fin adapter is around 70. Ill post some links and explain in better later today when im not at work, unless someone else can give you an idea. Oh ya ant its siriusxm now, you cant get sirius or xm

4. Oct 26, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    Uncle Wayne

Uncle Wayne [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacome SR5
    Thanks. I do have the antenna on the roof. I'm just so damned confused about all this stuff. I'm illerate and confused about a lot of this stuff.

5. Oct 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    It sounds like your already set up for satellite radio so all you may have to do is call sirrusxm & set up an account. They will have you sit in the truck & walk you through it.

6. Oct 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Even though toyota says the radio is equipped for siriusxm the radio does not have a siriusxm "brain" thats why its really expensive to have toyota hook it up for you

7. Oct 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
  8. Oct 26, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    I didn't know Toyota did that. I know aftermarket is like that & I assumed if it had a sat radio & antenna it was set up. If he can get the preview channel then he doesn't need to buy anything extra. He never said what happens when the sat button is pushed.

9. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Ya thats true i didnt even think of that because that isnt how it worked on my truck. If he gets the preview channel then ya it should work, but i doubt he gets it. I have an 09, had the sat button and the shark fin antenna on my roof, and after researching it i realized it wasn't that easy. I wanted navigation tho so i decided to just ditch the stock headunit, and the sound system because it sucks lol.

10. Oct 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541IST...Satellite-Radio-Adapter-for-Toyota.html?tp=87
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_607SCC1/SiriusConnect-Car-only-Tuner.html
    http://www.tss-radio.com/products/lexus-gs-shark-fin-antenna-adapter

Alright seems like this is what you need for the easiest way to do it. It will cost you around $250 though, i am pretty sure there is another way to do it but i am not postive. I installed siriusxm on aftermarket headunit using the stock sharkfin radio and it was alot cheaper, i still had to buy the shark fin adapter and this tuner http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SXV200/SiriusXM-SXV200V1-Tuner.html?search=Siriusxm+tuner so i only paid about $90. Somehow i never had to activate my tuner through siriusxm, it just worked. I have been getting sat radio for free now for about 6 months :D
    So if you buy those and follow the instructions in the thread which i posted the link for you should be good to go. I would recomend calling cruthfields before purchasing to confirm that you have everything you need, they have awesome customer service.

11. Dec 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    RetiredPunk

RetiredPunk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    troy
    Va Beach , Virginia
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Dcab trd 4x4
    Being a Sirius subscriber for years , heres my opinion . If you like the Sirius playlist package and get a XM radio , youll have to purchase an extended package which is more money per month . Found this out when my wifes CRV came XM ready . Called XM and found out that the extended package was twice as much as my Sirius package per month for subsrciption . That was because we liked the Sirius channels and wanted to keep listening to them .

Products Discussed in

To Top