Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Antenna Wire

Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
matt1381 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
matt1381's Tacoma Gallery
Antenna Wire

I had been getting static on my stock radio and thought maybe it was going out. So I got a Pioneer DVD unit and still have to static on radio stations. What do I have to do to follow the antenna wire to the antenna? Any parts I need to remove? I really dont want to remove the enitre dash to follow this. Is there anything else that could be causing this? BTW I have a 2005 double cab without the JBL system.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to trace the wire and see if it's cut and all.... you've got to remove the dash.

A couple things you can do...
  • make sure the mast is tightened down
  • make sure the mast base is tightened down
  • test out the ground connection on the antenna by running a ground from the antenna plug on the back of the radio to a factory ground location (kick panels are good places to find factory grounds) or to the battery
If all this does nothing, head down to a local install shop and ask them if they have a spare antenna that you can use to test (make sure you have the radio easily removable when you get there). The only problem with this method is that you need to find a way to hold the antenna in place, without actually holding it... otherwise your body will act as an antenna and you'll think your problems are solved. Alternatively, you can grab some 10 or 12 gauge wire, preferrably something with some semi-thick strands and carefully insert it into the radio antenna port (make sure you get it in the small hole in the back, and that you don't spread out the strands in doing so.

Best of luck with this
Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
matt1381 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
matt1381's Tacoma Gallery
Well I tried the 12 gauge wire in the antenna port and I had a great signal. I guess I have a cut or bend in my antenna wire. I'll call the local shop tomorrow and see how much they charge to replace that or I might get the hidden antenna from antenna x. Anyone have any idea if those work well or not?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
paid4c4 is on a distinguished road
paid4c4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1381 View Post
Well I tried the 12 gauge wire in the antenna port and I had a great signal. I guess I have a cut or bend in my antenna wire. I'll call the local shop tomorrow and see how much they charge to replace that or I might get the hidden antenna from antenna x. Anyone have any idea if those work well or not?
I have a hidden antenna in our 03 Corvette and it works great. I installed it when we got the Vette so it's been in use for 10 years. The antenna was made by custom audio also known as secret custom auto. I recently installed a replacement antenna in our 2010 Taco. Its made by Scooche from Walmart for 7 dollars and it works well. It was also easy to install.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RM...tenna/16652627
Bill