Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Can you replace the HU on a JBL system?

Old 10-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
JayB27 is a jewel in the roughJayB27 is a jewel in the roughJayB27 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jason
JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
Can you replace the HU on a JBL system?

Hi, I want to upgrade my system in my truck. I have a 2010 dc with the jbl system. Im fine with the system but i hate the head unit. Is it possible to just put a new touch screen Hu in it? Im reading mixed reviews with lots saying you can't. You lose features and cant use steering wheel controls etc.. etc...

I have a blue tooth and wheel controls and back up camera in mirror so I don't to lose any of my features replacing the HU.

If someone could link me to some things or recommend a Hu.

I'm looking for a touch screen. no nav, maybe pandora features nothin to crazy priced.

Thanks in advanced,
Jason
Old 10-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
Your In OC? Go talk to Tom at Beach Auto Sound In Huntington Beach, hes at Beach and Talbert next to Der Wienerschnitzel. I talked to him about my Stero, I too have the entune, I have gone to him for 5 previous vehicles. Tell Him Hucky, my nickname sent you, or call
Old 10-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
You will need this guy to retain the stock amplifier.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...RB-TA07SR.html

The rest of the system is very straight forward for installation. You will only need to run a power wire, ground, remote, and dimmer wire (if desired) to your head unit. The rest will run with your head units RCA pre-outs. Make sure you get a unit with 4 channel pre-out.

Lemme know if you have any other questions. I did this before.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
JayB27 is a jewel in the roughJayB27 is a jewel in the roughJayB27 is a jewel in the rough

JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
^ Nice, Thanks guys. I'm not sure exactly when I will be getting a new head unit. I just wanted to see if it was going to be possible. This will be my next thing I buy for the truck
Old 10-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
2 4 LIFE!!!
TuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
TuFerLife's Tacoma Gallery
I took my sub/amp/head unit all out if my JBL system. Granted the whole system shut down as soon as I pulled the amp... So I had to splice into each wire and run them from the back of my cab all the way up to my head unit to run the speakers off the head unit. It kind of sucked, but I was glad to bypass that stupid system... And I got to clear up some room in the back for some subwoofers!!! Woohoo
Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #6

JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
The link you sent me says compatible with 2003-2007 I own a 2010
Old 10-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFerLife View Post
I took my sub/amp/head unit all out if my JBL system. Granted the whole system shut down as soon as I pulled the amp... So I had to splice into each wire and run them from the back of my cab all the way up to my head unit to run the speakers off the head unit. It kind of sucked, but I was glad to bypass that stupid system... And I got to clear up some room in the back for some subwoofers!!! Woohoo

Dude that sucks you had to go through all that. Ive never done stereo wiring like that. hope I don't have to go through all that.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB27 View Post
The link you sent me says compatible with 2003-2007 I own a 2010

I'd put money on it being the same If you're not comfortable with my advice... here is a PAC version for more money that does the same thing AND says its for your year.

http://www.soundadvice.com/PAC-JBL-A...ATO-P3398.aspx

Its all the same though.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #9

JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I wouldn't doubt its the same since Toyota hasn't made many changes to the tacos. Is it difficult to wire everything up for a new head unit? I've never installed a radio before.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
4 wires are all you'll need to splice. Easy as pie to do. Hardest part will be fitting all the stuff behind the head unit in the dash. The adapter takes up a decent amount of space.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #11

JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
hmm ok. I know who to bug when I get my head unit and start my install =) i went to crutchfield.com and it gave me a list of HU that are compatible. with correct adapter of course
Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB27 View Post
hmm ok. I know who to bug when I get my head unit and start my install =) i went to crutchfield.com and it gave me a list of HU that are compatible. with correct adapter of course

There should be no 'compatible' and 'incompatible' radios. I don't know why crutchfield is doing this. Radios adopted the standard ISO 7736 ages ago, so all radios are meant to be the same size. The only thing that can change is the depth... but the taco's got a pretty deep dash so I still don't understand.