Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Problem with amplifier - troubleshooting

Old 10-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Problem with amplifier - troubleshooting

Hey guys, the other day both my front components cut out. They are running off of a small 2 channel amp. It seems like the amp may be the problem but I'd like to run it by you guys in case I missed something.

Things that I checked which are good:
- Fuse on amp good
- Main fuse good
- All stereo connections in the truck are soldered, heat shrinked and taped
- Connections at both speakers in the door are soldered
- Checked the speaker wire and does not seem pinched anywhere (I didn't rip the truck apart though)
- Power, ground, remote. The amp actually turns on.
- Thinking it may be a bad rca cable, switched the rca from the sub(which works) over to the component amp and got nothing
- Thinking it may be a bad rca output on the deck switched the rcas from the front to the sub up to the highs and got frequencies out of the sub

I know basic troubleshooting and wiring so if you guys know any more tests I can run let me know. I'd like to be 100% sure it's the amp before I go and spend the money on a new one.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
If you switched your RCA's to another amp, and it worked... you can rule out your head unit and RCA's. The problem will be at your amp. If you're getting power on lights and no protection circuits then I'd be willing to bet your amp is broken.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Got to be the amp.

You confirmed your other wiring (power etc) is working. You then tried the RCA's from the other amp working and your amp did nothing...that rules out the RCA's.

Lastly, you got power out of the speaker when you plugged your questioned amp to it. That's the clincher.

Amp shopping time for you..sorry to say it but that's the tests I would have done myself after 20 years of doing it and your amp is the culprit.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, wasn't sure if I would be able to do a test with the multimeter on the output channels of the amp. One thing I didn't do is to switch the speaker wires over to my mono sub amp to see if I get anything out of the components. (to rule out speaker wires being pinched somewhere)
Old 10-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
I'd give that a go just to be sure, but my overwhelming sense is that you already have your answer..
Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
gain to high?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
gain to high?
Yes. The speakers were working, I shut the truck off and went into a store. Then when I came back out and turned it back on the speakers didn't work.