Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2013 Tacoma Speakers and Amp question.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
vsg1980 is on a distinguished road
vsg1980's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Tacoma Speakers and Amp question.

Alright, hello everyone. I've looked all over the forums and I can't seem to find an answer for my question.

Ok, I have a 2013 double cab Prerunner. It came with the touchscreen head unit. Not a JBL sytem, at least I don't think it is (also has bluetooth capability and aux in jack, no nav system though). I just want to know if adding some good aftermarket speakers and an amp would be doable. I just want to leave in the factory headunit, and install an amplifier and a good set of alpine speakers. Doing that won't blow out the factory headunit or anything will it? Car audio has always been way too confusing for me. I'll read one fact, then I'll read something else that sounds like it's contradicting it, or just doesn't make sense to me anyway. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
You wont gain much by just adding speakers and an amp. You should look into a line-out converter that have been in many discussions in this section... factory head units have a tendency to flatten the sound as you turn the volume up thus leading to the same distortion or lack of bass that you had before.

The biggest upgrade for the money first off is usually a head unit, but line-out converters are a way to keep that factory look.

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-oem...em-integration

Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
vsg1980 is on a distinguished road
vsg1980's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you Brian. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I've never heard of those converters. All I want is better sound. A more full sound also when I turn the music up. Don't care about ridiculous amounts of bass or any of that stuff. I really don't want to change out the head unit so I will probably invest in one of those. Thanks again for the advice!