1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB-handheld or standard

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tomwilson74, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Nov 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    tomwilson74

tomwilson74 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    OME 3” lift Mickey Thompson Classic III Wheels
    I'm looking to get a cb but don't know anything about them. Do you guys prefer a standard cb compared to the handheld? Any recommended models of either type? Mainly will be used for travel when I drive from WV to Phoenix. Don't want to spend more than around $100-150.

2. Nov 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    tomwilson74

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    Also, how/where do you run the wire for the antenna?

3. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Spend a little more on the antenna and even a mediocre radio will do well. Put a Wilson 1000 on the roof and choose your radio. A Cobra 19 or Uniden 520 will fit almost anywhere and are simple to use as is the Wilson 1000. If you want a little more out of the radio end of things you can step up to a Cobra 25 or 29. Just don't skimp on the antenna, it's where most of the performance comes from.

4. Nov 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    I agree emphatically with Dennis. A bad antenna will make a good radio perform poorly, while a good antenna can actually greatly improve a bad radio. Of course, the very best is a good antenna and good radio, all installed properly. Obviously, this is not always possible (due to space restrictions, money, etc).

In my case, I have the tiny Cobra 75 WXST radio (not the best, but a good compromise) mounted on the dash (next to the stereo) using the included mic clip, with the connector box fitted under the dash.

I've combined that with a Wilson 2000 Truckers antenna (model W30-05014, 10" shaft, 49" whip) mounted in the center of my bed's metal toolbox (excellent ground and ground plane). That 10" shaft (along with the small spring I've added) gets the antenna almost entirely above the truck's cab, while the thin whip (and spring) bends easily when the antenna hits overhead objects.

This combination works very well for me, and I have plenty of experience with CB (more than thirty years) to base that judgement on.

5. Nov 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Of course, that depends on where and how you mount the radio and antenna. If the install is permanent, there are many rubber fittings (grummets) in the floorboards of the truck to run the coax (the "wire" for the antenna) out from the radio to the antenna. Find the rubber fitting closest to where the radio is mounted.

If you just want to use the radio occasionally (removing it otherwise), just run the coax out a slightly open window (watch out for rain), or out between the door and door well (more common location), closest to the antenna.

If you're really concerned or confused about a permanent install, take the radio, antenna, and coax to a car stereo installer. They can usually do the job fairly quickly and inexpensively. Another option is finding a CB'er willing to help. If you don't know one, look around the mall or similar for a vehicle with a CB antenna and ask. He might be willing to help himself or perhaps can recommend someone. If all else fails, ask more questions here.

6. Nov 2, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    tomwilson74

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    Thanks for the help guys.

Products Discussed in