1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH-DVD Install help

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bigdawgbill, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Nov 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    bigdawgbill

bigdawgbill [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    N.C.
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner TRD
    Im confused on the install notes on crutchfield for this unit ...it say it fits but also says fold down screens wont work in the 08 tacoma.....is the fold down a problem or not????.....Below is the notes on crutchfields site....Thanks for any feedback....I found the unit for a fair price. Ithink so anyway

Installation Details
    • Installation Details for your 2008 Toyota Tacoma Pickup DoubleCab without JBL audio system
      • This item fits your vehicle
      • Fold-down face receivers will not fit your vehicle. Please verify that your new receiver does not have a fold-down face.
      • You will need to use the factory stereo brackets in order to install your new receiver. If you do not have the brackets you will need to obtain them from the dealership.

2. Nov 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Its because of the dash, it sticks out a little on the bottom side under the radio, about an inch or so. So when you fold down the faceplate, the knobs will hit it and they wont go down all the way.

I have that issue but since I never put in a CD, it really doesn't bother me. If I have to put in my SD card, i just pull the faceplate off.

Its not the right perspective, but here is my radio. If you look, the radio is actually recessed a little bit because of the slope of the dash. Look at the bottom of the DIN insert, you'll see where it hits. I dont think in-dash DVD head units fold down.....they tilt outward and drop a little. I would verify with someone else who has one but I haven't heard of fitment issues with double dins

[​IMG]

3. Nov 3, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    Enino12

Enino12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dub Cab
    Two 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 Subs, R/T 10" Dual Ported Box Behind Back Seat, Powered by Rockford Fosgate Punch 600.2 T Amp, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Tacoma Running Boards, N-fab Light Bar, 4 KC HiLites, More to come soon
    I have that exact same head unit installed. Installed it myself a few months ago and haven't had any problems what so ever. I have the scosche double din mounting kit and the head unit doesn't rub at all when it opens down to pop a CD in.

4. Nov 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    Enino12

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dub Cab
    Two 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 Subs, R/T 10" Dual Ported Box Behind Back Seat, Powered by Rockford Fosgate Punch 600.2 T Amp, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Tacoma Running Boards, N-fab Light Bar, 4 KC HiLites, More to come soon
    Have some pictures of the fit and mount.
    My only complain about the Scosche mounting kit is the fit. As you can see the top of it doesn't line up perfectly but its close. The color is a really close match as well.

photo.jpg
    photo copy.jpg

5. Nov 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    EODTech08

EODTech08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    FX-R Retrofits, Hood Struts, aFe CAI, Wet Okoles, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Head Unit,
    I have the P8400BH but it's the same size and functions the same as the 4400. Definitely use the Scosche Double Din, the Metra brand doesn't fit right.

[​IMG]

6. Nov 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    bigdawgbill

bigdawgbill [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    N.C.
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner TRD
    Thanks guys...Im going to decide which way i want to go here soon its between the 3400 & 4400 only reason im considering the 4400 is the bigger screen.

7. Nov 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    EODTech08

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    FX-R Retrofits, Hood Struts, aFe CAI, Wet Okoles, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Head Unit,
    8400 all the way!

8. Nov 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    how do like the P4400BH? thinking about buying it tonight.(early christmas present from my parents) they don’t know how to make sure i have everything i need so they told me to order it.

going to order from crutchfield.

9. Dec 1, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    bigdawgbill

bigdawgbill [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    N.C.
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner TRD

I actually got the 3400 its same as the 4400 i believe cept for a lil smaller screen...but I love it works great ...easy install...Order from crutchfield is cool they send all your install stuff needed

10. Dec 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    ok thanks! about to order the 4400. can’t wait to have a nice head unit. stock one SUCKS!

11. Dec 1, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    EODTech08

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    I have the 8400 and I love it. I think the only differences is that the 8400 has a higher res screen and app radio.

12. Dec 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    barker14

barker14 sexual ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Complete OME suspension with Dakar leaf pack. Clarion touch screen Sport hood Tri fold Tonneau cover
    Sorry to thread jack but does anyone with the p4400 or 8400 and iphone have any problems with the Bluetooth working with ios6? I am looking to buy one of these but I have heard the Bluetooth doesn't work well or you can't use all of the features that you could with ios5. Is there a firmware update out for this?

13. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    EODTech08

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Mine works just fine with iOS6 that I can tell.

14. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    x2. i have the p4400BH and works just fine with IOS6. i love it! sooo nice to have bluetooth now. i have a pic in my build of where the mic is if anyone wants to see.

15. Dec 9, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    barker14

barker14 sexual ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Complete OME suspension with Dakar leaf pack. Clarion touch screen Sport hood Tri fold Tonneau cover
    Do you have control of your music when connected to your phone via Bluetooth thru the deck? Do the artist title and stuff come up and can you change the song using your steering wheel controls (if you have them) and on the deck without touching the phone?

16. Dec 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    i have not played music on it from my phone i use my ipod it has a lot more songs.(i don’t have a hole lot of songs on my phone) but i can change the song and everything on my ipod from the screen. i can go in and pick playlist or songs or artist.

also if you have steering wheel controls you may want to get the extra adapter so that you can use them. you can’t use them with out the adapter.

17. Dec 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    barker14

barker14 sexual ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I'm wondering about the control thru Bluetooth. That's what I have heard doesn't work well with iOS6. I will be using the deck to pair with my phone as that's where I keep my music and I want to be able to control it without having to change the song on my phone. I have the module already for the steering wheel controls but I have heard that the deck won't change the song when connected thru Bluetooth.

18. Dec 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    yeah. i have no idea. sorry man.

19. Dec 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    barker14

barker14 sexual ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the reply, anyone else with this setup?

20. Dec 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    Enino12

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dub Cab
    Im running the exact same. I've got the AVH p4400BH and it works perfectly with the iOS6. Its so easy to pair and you can save up to 3 bluetooth devices on the head unit. The head unit automatically pairs to your device once it turns on. I love not having to take my phone out of my pocket when i get in the car. You can control the music directly through the head unit and you can dial numbers and look up contacts in your phone directly from bluetooth as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top