1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to install OEM Satellite Radio Antenna

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by RaleighDawg, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Nov 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM
    RaleighDawg

RaleighDawg [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Knoxville
    Vehicle:
    2015 Automatic Access Cab (base model)
    Added intermittent wipers, backup camera, and cruise control. Swapped black plastic grill from chrome plastic grill.
    I live in Atlanta which is the worst market for radio in the entire free or communist world for that matter. I have a 2010 Tacoma, Regular Cab with a facory radio unit that includes a SAT button, but since nothing happens when I press the SAT button, it must not have the necessary satellite unit/module and, unless thru some magic the ariel antenna can also server as a satellie antenna, does not have the necessary satellite antenna as I don't see a 'shark fin' type antenna anywhere on the truck.

I want to, no, need to, install satellite radio but I want it to look like it came with the truck. I don't want wires hanging every where, I don't want a unit super glued/velcro'ed to the dash or wire-tied to my vents, and I certainly don't want the magnetic antenna that comes off in the car wash or hard rain storm. Lastly I don't want to have to use some FM transmitter to connect the satellite unit to the truck radio and have to deal with the static that comes with that approach.

I'm not partiucarly worried - yet - about getting the necessary satellite module unit (whether it's an entire after market replacement stero or simply the 'add-on' unit necessary for satellite to work with the factor radio currently in the truck) installed...but I'm really lost as to how to proceed on acquiring an OEM satelitte antenna and installing it so that it looks and works like it came from the factory.

Has anyone been down that road and, if so, can you share your experience of where you found an antenna to color match and how did you actually mount the antenna ? I'm as much concerned about positioning the antenna in the correct spot (both from a looks as well as function perspective) as well as not wanting my roof to start leaking after (I'm making an assumption here) drilling necessary holes in the roof.

Much thanks to anyone who responds !

Jeff

2. Nov 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM
    jgorniak

jgorniak Member

Member:
    I replaced a dealership-installed XM unit that worked with the basic factory radio with a Pioneer unit. Both of these use the magnet-type antenna, roughly 1" x 2" x .5 " in size. If you're worried about the magnet getting dislodged, don't worry. If a car wash can knock it loose, your truck is already getting pounded too hard.

As for aesthetics, the antenna wire will be almost invisible when tucked into the rubber gasket surrounding the windshield. Not quite as pretty as a shark fin, but no drilling, either. Good luck!

3. Feb 6, 2013 at 4:28 AM
    Taco One

Taco One Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock 2011 TRD Sport
    RaleighDawg, This is exactly what Im looking for, did you ever find a solution??

4. Jan 16, 2017 at 1:31 PM
    RaleighDawg

RaleighDawg [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Knoxville
    Vehicle:
    2015 Automatic Access Cab (base model)
    Added intermittent wipers, backup camera, and cruise control. Swapped black plastic grill from chrome plastic grill.
    Sorry - never did find an answer I liked. My wife has satellite radio in her Sonata so I added an internet subscription to her account and use my bluetooth to stream from my phone to the truck radio. Not ideal, but better than any other options I could find.

5. Jan 18, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    firsttraxxx

firsttraxxx Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA-LoCo
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja TX
    Fox 2.5 front / JBA UCA 3” Fox 2.0 rear / Icon RXT Stg 1 3” BAMF rear bumper Some cool mods
    On my 2013, I swapped in a 2014 non-JBL head unit with the factory XM, also did not have a shark fin antenna. I found a Terk XM antenna (magnetic mount) for $15 on Ebay. Routed cable to my rear slider under the headliner.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Nov 6, 2017 at 5:24 AM
    siderman

siderman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hmm. I too have a 13 w/o SAT and want to get SAT. I have the opportunity to get a 14 factory unit with SAT at a good price hopefully for a plug & play. But you're saying the hood mounted antenna wont work, need the shark fin?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top