Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sub quit working...

Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
UTVols is on a distinguished road
UTVols's Tacoma Gallery
Sub quit working...

So on the way back from the mountains this weekend, my sub just quit working. It's happened before when my amp ground came loose, but this time I go back and look and the amp has power. I checked all connections and nothing has come loose. What could be the problem? Is there a way to test if the sub is bad?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Sure..

Take another speaker (can even be one from your house..wire the speaker outs from the amp to it. Don't need to crank it, just to hear sound tells you you're good from there.

What you may get lucky and find is inside your box that you have a loose wire. My friend was ready to buy 2 new subs till I forced him to bring his car to me one day..lo and behold, one wire connector busted and another fell off. That was 6 years ago and they still work
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
UTVols's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Sure..

Take another speaker (can even be one from your house..wire the speaker outs from the amp to it. Don't need to crank it, just to hear sound tells you you're good from there.

What you may get lucky and find is inside your box that you have a loose wire. My friend was ready to buy 2 new subs till I forced him to bring his car to me one day..lo and behold, one wire connector busted and another fell off. That was 6 years ago and they still work
Well I found the problem. I had pull the sub box out and everything and checked the wiring inside it and everything and it all looked good.

What it was is my RCA control knob that I have hooked up between the head unit and amp. The wires run by the kick panel and had obviously worked its way out where I could hit it with my foot and I kicked it loose. So there was no RCA signal going to the amp.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols View Post
Well I found the problem. I had pull the sub box out and everything and checked the wiring inside it and everything and it all looked good.

What it was is my RCA control knob that I have hooked up between the head unit and amp. The wires run by the kick panel and had obviously worked its way out where I could hit it with my foot and I kicked it loose. So there was no RCA signal going to the amp.
Great stuff, you got to love the simple fixes in life! Glad it worked out for you..and of course welcome to Tacoma World!

What gear are you running?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for updating. A lot of threads are left unanswered, so I'm sure it'll help someone in the future.

Sorry for the off-topic post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols View Post

Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
UTVols's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Great stuff, you got to love the simple fixes in life! Glad it worked out for you..and of course welcome to Tacoma World!

What gear are you running?
Just a cheap JVC single din head unit (until I can afford the Kenwood big boy with nav), Kenwood KAC-8105d amp @ 2 ohms, and a Rockford Fosgate 12" DVC shallow sub. Punch series.