Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Best microphone for car stereo?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Best microphone for car stereo?

I bought a JVC digital media head unit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX5...ml#details-tab

Not matter where I mounted the mic that came with the unit, everyone on the other end of the phone call say it sounds like I'm talking to them from afar... as if I'm at one end of a very long tunnel and they are at the other.

I assume it's the mic because at one point I was holding it about 6" from my mouth and still the same sound quality being reported.

So I am wondering what is a very good microphone that will increase the sound quality of my voice for everyone on the other end of my calls.

Don't know if it's universal or not, but the adapter on the back of the head unit is a 3.5mm female jack.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Pretty sure all the plugs are universal. As for mic quality, its probably poor, but I would look hard into how you're mounting it. Is it able to pick up vibrations from the surface of where its mounted. Also it could just be poor processing on your head unit. My old sony was like that, no matter what I did.

In answer to your question though, yes they're universal. I do believe they're the smaller 2.5mm plug though. You can use a wired headset from a cell phone for its mic I've been told. Just a thought for troubleshooting.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post

In the spirit of election day...

Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Pretty sure all the plugs are universal. As for mic quality, its probably poor, but I would look hard into how you're mounting it. Is it able to pick up vibrations from the surface of where its mounted. Also it could just be poor processing on your head unit. My old sony was like that, no matter what I did.

In answer to your question though, yes they're universal. I do believe they're the smaller 2.5mm plug though. You can use a wired headset from a cell phone for its mic I've been told. Just a thought for troubleshooting.
Thanks. My thought first went to the head unit.

When I was on the initial phone call with my friend trying to figure out the best spot for the mic, it literally made no difference where I placed it. Even if it was literally 6" from my mouth.

FFS, we can put a robot on Mars and have it blast rocks with lasers, but we can't figure out how to make a good mic for a friggen car stereo?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #6

I called Crutchfield and explained my problem. They said it could be a faulty mic and more than likely has nothing to do with the head unit itself.

So instead of sending me the same mic they are sending me, free of charge, their best aftermarket mic to see if that solves the problem.

Another reason why I'll buy from Crutchfield a lot of the time.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
vbb1964 is on a distinguished road
vbb1964's Tacoma Gallery
Exact same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Thanks. My thought first went to the head unit.

When I was on the initial phone call with my friend trying to figure out the best spot for the mic, it literally made no difference where I placed it. Even if it was literally 6" from my mouth.

FFS, we can put a robot on Mars and have it blast rocks with lasers, but we can't figure out how to make a good mic for a friggen car stereo?
Same head unit basically and the people on the other end complain about sounding distant. I have a option to turn up the sensitivity but it doesn't help.

I put the pic in my hand and right up to my mouth with no change.

I wired the unit so I can change out mics until I find something that works.