Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

iPad mini in a 2nd gen?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I'm coming up with two solutions and I'm not sure which one I like more. You could have a wired connection with a hardline that transfers analog audio to a sound processor and charges it too. Or you could use magnetic inductive charging to charge it and a hardwired bluetooth adapter for the audio. That would be a fully wireless solution. The audio over bluetooth would be a little degraded. That's the only drawback I see. But hell....NO WIRES. That's kinda cool.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
2 4 LIFE!!!
TuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
TuFerLife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I'm on the Apple website and just noticed a lightning to 30pin connector. That might give me more options for connection. I would need a way to figure out how to get power to a 30 pin connector so it charges and also how to get analog audio out of the 30pin.
Lightning pin to 30 pin doesn't support video out...

FYI, aren't you the one with the badass sound system where your subs are under the back seat?

Edit... I guess you aren't looking for video out though. You just need to be able to charge it, correct?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #23
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes yes and yes. I don't need the video to go anywhere since it's the viewing device. And yes that's my system.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #25
Sounds Gooooood

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just hit a snag....the big benefit of having a headunit right now is that I can PAIR MY PHONE to it and when someone calls I can hear them through the car. How the fuck will I accomplish that with an iPad? I NEED phone integration too.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #26
Grundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Grundletaint's Tacoma Gallery
Saw a "mod" where someone threaded string from one a/c vent across the HU through the other one. Using an iPad case with a built in front flap (1st gen apple case) he flipped the front cover over the back and hung it on the string in front of the HU. Pretty simple and effective solution for pennies.

The bitch about the stock USB connector is that there's no option to control iPod functions via the iDevice and it all has to be done through the stereo so if the HU is covered you're kind of SOL if you want to see track info. I reckon aux or Bluetooth are then only options if you use this method and want to control your music via the pad.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #27
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I'm under the impression ATT just charges you money for overages. Currently, I only use about half of my data plan. I don't plan on streaming much from the car since I own all my music. The only thing I really see burning up data would likely be NAV but I don't use that very often either.

And I watched that second video. Other than the magnets holding it in....how does that allow it to connect to the car and charge?
im not sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFerLife View Post
I'm on unlimited data with my iPhone 5, so ideally if I could jailbreak my iPhone 5 and use my unlimited data I'm golden, but I've been trying to crack that code for awhile. I'll prolly have to go to one of those shared data plans and just share a shit ton of data between my iPad and iPhone...
i dont have unlimited...wish i did.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #28
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobord552 View Post
there are stand alone bluetooth units.

The second soundman video posted here shows them using one.
That would require a bluetooth module that allows you to connect two devices. The iPad and also the phone. Does that exist? How does the module know when you're getting a phone call and to mute the music source?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #29
Sounds Gooooood

That's not really easy considering mine's a double din but I think it MIGHT be possible. That would certainly be a fairly cheap option too considering I already have it. I would even get to keep the steering wheel controls and my mute button. I would need to pickup the phone by hand though to start the bluetooth call.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #30
NoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
NoSoup4You's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobord552 View Post
I know it exists, let me find you a link.

The easy way to do it would be to relocate your current HU to a hidden location and then connect the ipad via usb.
this is exactly what I'm looking to do with a cheap USB HU and a Nexus 7
kills two birds with one stone: a cheap charging/docking solution, and you don't have to buy the damn expensive Audison BitOne to amplify the tablet.

I hit up SoundMan CA yesterday (700 for a dash piece is crazy) and also Sonic Electronix in Valencia that did the Dodge Ram .. at the end of the video they said they want to do more, but who knows what they will charge.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #31
Torres2011 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brice
Torres2011's Tacoma Gallery
I like this idea of the iPad mini! I want Bluetooth as well for my phone. Any pictures of a mini installed yet?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bkmcinty's Tacoma Gallery
I had this very same idea and im glad i found this thread because i just started fabbing my dash two days ago! Cool video in the link btw with the 10" ipad. The mini will be much easier as the dash peices (clock, flashers, ac controls) will not need to me relocated. My plan is to have a hinge on the left and a track system where the dash will swing open by magnetic latch( similar to a furniture door like on a tv console) to open the right side to slide the mini out. The lightning connector will permanetly mounted on the left side so when the mini slides into the track system it will plug itself in for power and also for audio as i plan to convert the lightning plug into 30 pin then into usb for charging and left/right out into my sundown amplifier that powers my door speakers and then my subs. The dash kit has proven some difficulties so far but with a little bondo, sandpaper and paint it should be sufficient. As for the data usage i am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to also incorporate a standard single din cd player for fm radio as i do not care about pandora. And if i want to use the web or navi i will tether to my razr maxx. So long story short i have been taking many pictures and plan a detailed write up when this bastard of a project is finished! Any opinions? Or advice? Thanks guys
Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #33
2 4 LIFE!!!
TuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
TuFerLife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmcinty View Post
I had this very same idea and im glad i found this thread because i just started fabbing my dash two days ago! Cool video in the link btw with the 10" ipad. The mini will be much easier as the dash peices (clock, flashers, ac controls) will not need to me relocated. My plan is to have a hinge on the left and a track system where the dash will swing open by magnetic latch( similar to a furniture door like on a tv console) to open the right side to slide the mini out. The lightning connector will permanetly mounted on the left side so when the mini slides into the track system it will plug itself in for power and also for audio as i plan to convert the lightning plug into 30 pin then into usb for charging and left/right out into my sundown amplifier that powers my door speakers and then my subs. The dash kit has proven some difficulties so far but with a little bondo, sandpaper and paint it should be sufficient. As for the data usage i am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to also incorporate a standard single din cd player for fm radio as i do not care about pandora. And if i want to use the web or navi i will tether to my razr maxx. So long story short i have been taking many pictures and plan a detailed write up when this bastard of a project is finished! Any opinions? Or advice? Thanks guys
Thank goodness someone is finally doing this! I'm looking forward to it... My only question is, why aren't you getting one with cellular data and use a shared data plan with your phone? I mean I know you said you could tether, but it seems like the iPad is a data driven device so you will be tethering a lot. I mean I don't know of many things you can do on the iPad WITHOUT data...

But Nonetheless, I'm stoked to see someone do this! I can't wait to see how it turns out... Keep us in the loop man!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #34
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah will do! I might make a couple different dash setups to see which one works the best because i have a couple different ideas on how to get the ipad in and out of the dash! Dont worry i have taken a lot of pics!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #36

I would have no problem doing that it actually crossed my mind a few times! I was thinking like $650 ipad mini included....i need some feedback here!! I love fabricating stuff like this! I have been doing car audio my whole life and worked for a few custom shops where i learned to fiberglass and bondo just about anything hehe
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #37
NoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
NoSoup4You's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmcinty View Post
I would have no problem doing that it actually crossed my mind a few times! I was thinking like $650 ipad mini included....i need some feedback here!! I love fabricating stuff like this! I have been doing car audio my whole life and worked for a few custom shops where i learned to fiberglass and bondo just about anything hehe
$650 with the iPad Mini included would be a deal for me .. my two quotes for modifying a customer-supplied dash was $700 and $900 without an iPad.

Seriously let me know what your time is on getting this going .. I would love to do my Taco and my sister really wants to do this in her 4Runner.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #38
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #39

My four month old dremel 3000 broke down on me yesterday but i am gettibg a new one and im on my way to the hardware store to buy a couple different pieces to try out. My ideas are a slide in and out pie e like the other guy did in the link on another page or a hinge type system! I am going to try both to see which has the more "factory" look and which one operates better and how easy each one is to slide the ipad in and out. I sell apple products at the place i work so i have an unlimited supply of ipads but i am currently waiting on the 16gb to arrive to use as a tester and my own personal kit. Will def keep this post updated thanks guys

Products Discussed in this Thread