1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

iPad mini in a 2nd gen?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TuFerLife, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Nov 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm coming up with two solutions and I'm not sure which one I like more. You could have a wired connection with a hardline that transfers analog audio to a sound processor and charges it too. Or you could use magnetic inductive charging to charge it and a hardwired bluetooth adapter for the audio. That would be a fully wireless solution. The audio over bluetooth would be a little degraded. That's the only drawback I see. But hell....NO WIRES. That's kinda cool.

2. Nov 7, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    TuFerLife

TuFerLife [OP] 2 4 LIFE!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Ford Raptor (I'm a traitor)
    Lightning pin to 30 pin doesn't support video out...

FYI, aren't you the one with the badass sound system where your subs are under the back seat?

Edit... I guess you aren't looking for video out though. You just need to be able to charge it, correct?

3. Nov 7, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Yes yes and yes. I don't need the video to go anywhere since it's the viewing device. And yes that's my system.

4. Nov 7, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    Well I sure am glad you've got ideas brewing through your head concerning this because it already has me optimistic that it can be done!

5. Nov 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just hit a snag....the big benefit of having a headunit right now is that I can PAIR MY PHONE to it and when someone calls I can hear them through the car. How the fuck will I accomplish that with an iPad? I NEED phone integration too.

6. Nov 8, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    Saw a "mod" where someone threaded string from one a/c vent across the HU through the other one. Using an iPad case with a built in front flap (1st gen apple case) he flipped the front cover over the back and hung it on the string in front of the HU. Pretty simple and effective solution for pennies.

The bitch about the stock USB connector is that there's no option to control iPod functions via the iDevice and it all has to be done through the stereo so if the HU is covered you're kind of SOL if you want to see track info. I reckon aux or Bluetooth are then only options if you use this method and want to control your music via the pad.

7. Nov 8, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    im not sold...

i dont have unlimited...wish i did. :pout:

8. Nov 8, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    That would require a bluetooth module that allows you to connect two devices. The iPad and also the phone. Does that exist? How does the module know when you're getting a phone call and to mute the music source?

9. Nov 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    That's not really easy considering mine's a double din but I think it MIGHT be possible. That would certainly be a fairly cheap option too considering I already have it. I would even get to keep the steering wheel controls and my mute button. I would need to pickup the phone by hand though to start the bluetooth call.

10. Nov 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    NoSoup4You

NoSoup4You Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    Camburg | King | Glassworks | DMZ | Nitro | Banks | Pelfreybilt | Brute Force Fab | Bay Area Metal Fab | Baja Designs | Rigid Industries | STL
    this is exactly what I'm looking to do with a cheap USB HU and a Nexus 7
    kills two birds with one stone: a cheap charging/docking solution, and you don't have to buy the damn expensive Audison BitOne to amplify the tablet.

I hit up SoundMan CA yesterday (700 for a dash piece is crazy) and also Sonic Electronix in Valencia that did the Dodge Ram .. at the end of the video they said they want to do more, but who knows what they will charge.

11. Nov 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    Torres2011

Torres2011 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I like this idea of the iPad mini! I want Bluetooth as well for my phone. Any pictures of a mini installed yet?

12. Nov 22, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    bkmcinty

bkmcinty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Black Badges
    I had this very same idea and im glad i found this thread because i just started fabbing my dash two days ago! Cool video in the link btw with the 10" ipad. The mini will be much easier as the dash peices (clock, flashers, ac controls) will not need to me relocated. My plan is to have a hinge on the left and a track system where the dash will swing open by magnetic latch( similar to a furniture door like on a tv console) to open the right side to slide the mini out. The lightning connector will permanetly mounted on the left side so when the mini slides into the track system it will plug itself in for power and also for audio as i plan to convert the lightning plug into 30 pin then into usb for charging and left/right out into my sundown amplifier that powers my door speakers and then my subs. The dash kit has proven some difficulties so far but with a little bondo, sandpaper and paint it should be sufficient. As for the data usage i am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to also incorporate a standard single din cd player for fm radio as i do not care about pandora. And if i want to use the web or navi i will tether to my razr maxx. So long story short i have been taking many pictures and plan a detailed write up when this bastard of a project is finished! Any opinions? Or advice? Thanks guys

13. Nov 23, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    Thank goodness someone is finally doing this! I'm looking forward to it... My only question is, why aren't you getting one with cellular data and use a shared data plan with your phone? I mean I know you said you could tether, but it seems like the iPad is a data driven device so you will be tethering a lot. I mean I don't know of many things you can do on the iPad WITHOUT data...

But Nonetheless, I'm stoked to see someone do this! I can't wait to see how it turns out... Keep us in the loop man!

14. Nov 24, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    bkmcinty

Member:
    Fort Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Black Badges
    Yeah will do! I might make a couple different dash setups to see which one works the best because i have a couple different ideas on how to get the ipad in and out of the dash! Dont worry i have taken a lot of pics!

15. Nov 25, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    So does that mean you will start selling dash kits to us guys that don't know how to build these things?! Haha

16. Nov 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    bkmcinty

Member:
    Fort Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Black Badges
    I would have no problem doing that it actually crossed my mind a few times! I was thinking like $650 ipad mini included....i need some feedback here!! I love fabricating stuff like this! I have been doing car audio my whole life and worked for a few custom shops where i learned to fiberglass and bondo just about anything hehe

17. Nov 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    NoSoup4You

NoSoup4You Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    Camburg | King | Glassworks | DMZ | Nitro | Banks | Pelfreybilt | Brute Force Fab | Bay Area Metal Fab | Baja Designs | Rigid Industries | STL
    $650 with the iPad Mini included would be a deal for me .. my two quotes for modifying a customer-supplied dash was $700 and $900 without an iPad.

Seriously let me know what your time is on getting this going .. I would love to do my Taco and my sister really wants to do this in her 4Runner.

18. Nov 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    CayucosTacoma

CayucosTacoma Just think outside the Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Luis Obispo/San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 4x4
    Specs in the Build Thread
  19. Nov 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    bkmcinty

Member:
    Fort Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Black Badges
    My four month old dremel 3000 broke down on me yesterday but i am gettibg a new one and im on my way to the hardware store to buy a couple different pieces to try out. My ideas are a slide in and out pie e like the other guy did in the link on another page or a hinge type system! I am going to try both to see which has the more "factory" look and which one operates better and how easy each one is to slide the ipad in and out. I sell apple products at the place i work so i have an unlimited supply of ipads but i am currently waiting on the 16gb to arrive to use as a tester and my own personal kit. Will def keep this post updated thanks guys

20. Nov 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    Loving where you're going with this. I too would be interested at $650... I would prefer where you push on the dash and it pops out, but that's just my .02... I'm looking forward to where this is going...

Products Discussed in

To Top